"Throw" and "Takedown"

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TheMightyMcClaw, May 20, 2007.

1. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

depends what style you are into....

its only a guide not definitive ,,,,

regards as ever

Smurf

PS I am old so have a low crotch !!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

2. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Yeah, if I trained leglocks I supposed legging it would be another option... :p

3. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

I'll have you know this made me spit my coffee at my monitor this morning. I call foul! Unneccessary funniness on the part of the smurf! ;) Cheers mate.

4. Alansmurf

LOL!!! :D

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I've got to use my legs, I'm in TKD ;) :D

Mitch

6. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Interesting.... so by the "both feet leaving the ground" definition, a double leg lift would be a throw, not a takedown. By the "stay on your feet" definition, then techniques like Tomoe Nage would be a takedown, not a throw.

7. Alansmurf

Tomoe is a full sacrifice throw !!!!!

:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

I suppose the double leg lift you would be throwing the uke to the ground ....

Smurf :D :D :D :D

8. hapk1do

hapk1do Valued Member

Technically, a throw is a takedown because the person being thrown is generally going to hit the ground in a shoulders down or bent knee position.

I would say that the defnition of a takedown is mostly in the result - back flat -or- shoulders down -or- knees bent -or- belly flat on the ground... However, it is also in the technique used to get the result - I.E. throw, leg check, shootfighting, etc...

The throws we do in my HKD school include, but are not limited to, speed throws(from the wrist or arm), shoulder throws(arm bar to over the shoulder), hip throws(sweeping or directly from the hip), fireman's throws(sprung over the back), and sacrifice(flipped from front to back).