This is messed up.

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Yohan, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

This is messed up:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2DtCUfCyfk"]Silat Suffian Bela Diri - Knife Defence and Knife Fighting - YouTube[/ame]

This guy straight up kicks his students right in the dirty parts. Cup or not, that's messed up!

What is the opinion of this guy in the Silat world?

2. kal

kal Valued Member

what are you complaining about, its obvious that they're wearing groin guards and have been training together for a while, last time i looked martial arts were about fighting...

3. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Yeouch. Some great technique in the vid though.

4. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

LOL, you should try getting caught in the meat & two veg, with one of those aluminium training knives.....without a cup :p

Of course it doesn't have to be a knife in the nuts, can be a punch, grab & wrench, grab & twist, a hit with anything thats available.....

Why do think silat uses a lot of nut guarding techniques :)

5. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Pre arranged drills-pace and pressure the same as each other,they have probably done that many times together,im not impressed by that type of work anymore :)

6. ironknuckles

ironknuckles contemplating....

I like the part when he grabs the guys wrists twists it and knocks the "blade" away with his hand

7. Yohan

Would you care to explain how getting kicked in the jimmy over and over again is going to somehow . . . magically relate to the ability to fight? Does he really have to kick them in the groin with a decent amount of force just to demonstrate his techniques? I don't care if they've got cups or not, there is a lot of soft tissue just around the genital area that can be damaged pretty severely by high levels of contact.

I think I'd rather not wear the cup and just fall down and cry like a girl after he hit me the first time and crawl off in a corner and suck my thumb until I could drive myself home. :D

8. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

Eventually one might become inspired to try other things to avoid getting kicked in the "jimmy" ... and first hand experience relates very well to the ability to do anything at all.

I know it is called "willy", is it also appropriate to call it "jimmy"?

9. SundaWarrior

SundaWarrior Valued Member

I am sorry but I am not sure why they call their system Silat when the drills they are doing are Pekiti Tirsia Kali knife tapping drills. That really bothers me when people learn Kali and say they know Silat. Not to say that the instructor doesn't know any Silat but I definitely didn't see any in that video.
    What do you guys think?

Salam,
    Nicholas

10. Takedown 2

Takedown 2 New Member

Hello Nick! I'll share with you my personal experience with the notion of PTK being taught as Silat. Let me first say that I have a TREMENDOUS amount of respect of PTK. When I was first introduced to malay style martial arts, it was at the old King Dragon school in Farmington Hills, MI. There, we were taught about 50/50 Kali and Silat. Because of the sheer volume of information, often, the students would be confused as to what was Silat and what was Kali. To be honest, most of didn't really care because whatever it was that we were learning was cool! The teachers knew the difference and in time, the students did as well.

Later, as I came to the conclusion that I wanted to study Silat above all else, I decided to drop studying anything else. That was a few years ago, and these days, I once again enjoy learning a variety of new (to me) ideas. To that end, early this year, I took up Tai Chi. Not so much as a fighting discipline (although it certainly does have some combat type moves) as it is something I just enjoy doing because I feel fantastic while doing it. Kinda like how I feel when playing soccer, or hiking in the woods. And I'm sure that if I stick with Tai Chi, much more will be revealed.

Kembang Alas.... LOL!! I've heard it referred to as 'jimmies' but never just as 'jimmy.' A scene from the old Beavis and Butthead cartoons that were popular in the early 90s comes to mind. In this particular episode, Beavis and Butthead were in gym class with their teacher who was a screaming at the top of his lungs former Marine Core Drill Sargent from the Vietnam War days. To demonstrate to his students what a real man was, he moved his feet far apart while standing and screamed, "ALRIGHT BOYS, I'LL SHOW YOU A REAL MAN! KICK ME IN THE JIMMIES!... COME ON! HARDER! KICK ME IN THE JIMMIES AGAIN.!"

LOL!! Americana at it's best. :rolleyes:

If I'm not mistaken, that cartoon is the source of that idiom.

Michael

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  11. Yohan

They aren't trying to keep from getting kicked. It's compliant drilling. If the person was actually defending, it would be different, but it's all compliant drills. They don't have a chance to defend themselves at all.

The instructor told them at some point - just stand there while I beat up on you unnecessarily (probably to bolster his shoddy ego).

12. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

The kicks to the groin appear to be controlled so as not to cause injury.

These types of drills I would call flow drills. Eventually the compliant partner will counter so it ends up more like controlled sparring.

I wouldn't be too critical of this type of training because it is mostly compliant, it is more for the development of flow and speed with technique. Working the movements into muscle memory.

If you notice, most of the moves start with the same generic movements so what the drill is doing is taking one or two generic movements and then flowing from there to all the variations. It is really the very first movements that are what the drill is putting into muscle memory, everything after that is supposed to flow from them.

As for if it is learning to fight? Well speed is very important with weapons, and these types of drills help to develop speed and flow... so they work an important attribute of fighting... they just do not work the whole package.