This is Iwama Aikido

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by dentoiwamaryu, May 3, 2007.

1. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Hi Dento

I have been training for more than forty years and in the beginning the training was most severe and always included serious accurate and powerfull attacks . Even the grasping exercises were accompanied with a strike.
    Often we shall have visitors to the makotokai and almost everyone who comes from an aikido club MUST be told defend your face when you attack because the atemi are not "token."Some of these guys were very high grades .
    The tai no henko are shown to illustrate the kuzushi and the need for ki ken tai ichi in the execution of them. But the majority of the training is against strikes and weapons.

My reason for starting the martial arts of aikido threads was a reaction to the low regard for aikido that many were expressing. Sadly I had to agree seeing no development by many in the years I have been training and worse seeing the art being changed to suit the needs of some ego maniacs and aiki mystics.

Thousands of budoka shall read this thread and many shall see aikidoka "holding hands" from their perspective. This is why I asked if there were any videos of Iwama aikido used in a martial content.

They need only see the video aiki wolf posted of Chiba shihan to immediately re-assess their take on aikido.

I have seen Saito Morihiro demonstrate ara waza (severe techniques) and have no doubt at all about the efftcacy of aikido.

I just wish that it was available to any who view these posts.

regards koyo

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  2. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Hi dentoiwamaryu,

Attack : Anything that if undefended would cause damage.

The reason I don't see the wrist grab as an attack is that if you grab someones wrist without a corresponding atemi or unbalancing, then the attacker is just as vulnerable as the defender.

If you train aikido this way you are always training from an advantageous starting point and as such undermine the martial element. You know which attack is coming, you do not defend yourself and have been shown a set response to that attack, it is the worst of all worlds in my view.

The Bear.

3. makotokai

makotokai Valued Member

No worries as you wish

Hey Bill
    Here is an Aikido video as requested

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij5dlGmkndE"]Sensei Chiba Aiki Ken Demo - YouTube[/ame]

:D

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2007
  4. koyo

Hi Gerry

Any chance of posting this to the japanese korean sword sylist thread.?

regards Bill

5. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG6H4UD-Jtw"]YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlfF33R333E"]YouTube[/ame]

I only have two videos. I also have bokken and jo taking, and also knife defenses, but they are hard to load. I'll give you a gander when I get them on,

EDIT: ONOZ! My tantotori video is corrupted at 3 mins! :(

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  6. koyo

Ah!!Yoseikan. I had some great practices with yoseikan guys in Paris. I particularly enjoyed the sutemi waza and found their aikido and hospitality to be of the highest order.

regards koyo

7. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

*sniff*

But...my video.... :cry:

Thanks koyo. :p I've never been overseas, but UK and Japan are high on my list for travel to get to do martial arts in late 2008 - early 2009. Might pop by and we' can catch up with a beer after i watch a few classes eh?

8. koyo

Watch a few classes? Aikido is aikido. Join in you'll love it.

koyo

9. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

hey koyo, loed the chiba aikiken, great awase even with a reluctant uke, mind you if it was me id be running out the door. i used to not be a big fan of chiba, but as ive grown and my understanding of MA and Aiki has grown, im able to really see much better and worse techs. the guy is a amazing. hard as a coffin nail as they say. you can see it in his eyes. completely switched on at all times. moto,moto,moto onagaishimasu.

10. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

I'll take you up on that! :D My legs wouldn't be able to keep still regardless!

THAT WAS ALL SORTS OF AWESOME. My head is spinning......Chiba and Saito Jr. .....both great swordsmen.

11. koyo

Hi guys

I had ten years of that as his uke!! If you are interested in weapons training check out the korean and japanese sylist thread. There are some western swordsmen posting there and the info and links are great.

regards koyo
    posted this before but if you haven't seen it.THIS is what his techniques feel like. You can see how much I am "enjoying it".
    Chiba shihan always held Morihiro saito shihan in the highest regard.

Attached Files:

12. dentoiwamaryu

How does the old cockney song go, crash,bang,wallop-what a picture, what a picture. boom boom

13. koyo

Thanks for the SYMPATHY I THINK :rolleyes: anyway now when anyone threatens to kick my ass I think been there done that no problem!!Bring it on. :D

regards koyo

14. dentoiwamaryu

full sympathy mate lol, i just thought of that song as soon as i saw the pic, thought it was apt.

15. koyo

This is a photo of an ara waza technique taught to me by Saito shihan. It is a devastating version of shiho nage that endangers the attacker's arm,neck and spine. Ara waza are executed about three times as fast as normal techniques. Are they still taught in Iwama Ryu.?

Attached Files:

16. dentoiwamaryu

absolutley koyo, im trying to see what the finsh loks like, it looks like a henka on shihonage when uke pulls there arm/elbow down so you cant cut but instead, wrench the wrist away from the body, great little tech. i like to show a tech from an very early basic/kihon through as many stages as there is up its smallest quickest. sensei still teaches these things.

17. koyo

Hi Dento

It is a shiho nage executed with the right hand. Rather than throw the left hand presses the haead awy and the right pulls toward s your chest. This stops the ukemi and puts pressure on the elbow,shoulder , neck and spine.

I have started a thread on western and japanese swordsmanship the comparisons. Maybe you would care to post a link to Saito shihan's aiki ken??

regards koyo

18. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Alternatively that can be used as a lock with the same hand configuration, pulling the hand towards you and striking and pressing the throat away from you while they stand. Like a bow and arrow. Quite cool. Yours is more of a takedown.

I can imagine it'll be quite quick. I'll have to try that in my Shinken Shobu no kata.

19. koyo

Ah!! But I am much more compassionate than you.And he was not expecting it!!!Wouldn't want to hurt the wee soul.

regards koyo

20. dentoiwamaryu

When i get a chance ill read that section proper,looks good though. but just post the link yourself koyo. see what they think of it