This is Iwama Aikido

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by dentoiwamaryu, May 3, 2007.

1. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

here are two 1st class new clips of my Sensei in Iwama, first is aikiken awase/kumitachi and henkas. the second is the 5 basic mortodori kokyunages.
    personally for me there is nobody out there who can touch this guys aikido.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq7RSJ5KCK4"]Dento Iwama Ryu 2 - Aikiken - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrRIk7UNLAA"]Dento Iwama Ryu 1 - Morotedori Kokyunage - YouTube[/ame]

I really hope you enjoy these.

2. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

There is no doubting the quality of Saito Sensei's aikido however, IMHO your statement is filled arrogance in the face of the MANY other quality and equally committed aikidoka which exist throughout the world.

3. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Well said Koryu. Any form of hero worship in Martial Arts should be avoided. It blinds you to the faults in the other.

The Bear.

4. dentoiwamaryu

Sorry you guys think that, i dont, im sure there are plenty out there who think soem one else is better, i said IN MY OPINION, which i stand by. sorry for having an opinion guys.

5. dentoiwamaryu

OK you guys are correct i never said in my opinion. which i should have. i just put personely. Which does sound too singleminded. but i do stand my thoughts that in MY OPINION he is the no 1 for Aikido especially Iwama.

6. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Unfortunate choice of words Dento.Here is a lesson I received for your consideration. I was playing host to Sekiya shihan 6th dan aikido Chiba shihan's father in law. We were watching videos os aikido masters. I noted that Chiba shihan looked very martial Saito shihan's use of basic principles looked very powerfull Noro shihan looked graceful etc.

Sekiya shihan suggested I look again sure enough Chiba shihan looked gracefull Noro shihan looked powerfull Saito shihan looked martial etc.etc.

Our own approach "colors" the manner in which we view others.Basically comparisons are odious leading to all sorts of politics etc.

In my opinion.

There can be only one.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  7. dentoiwamaryu

Thanks koyo, but i think these guys are left with the impression that i think Sensie is the hardest greatest human being in the world. I dont. I truly believe that when it comes to Aikido, there is no one better. that is my opinion on all that ive seen and felt through the years. Does that mean i cant learn anything else from any other aikidoka. of course id dosent. Does that mean i think he is the best Martial artist in the world no it dont. Just the best aikidokaq. ive not long trained under mike flynn, my first time ever and his main influence in aikido is chiba. Now in my own opinion he is the best aikidoka in Scotland, that i have seen or felt. so much to learn from this guy. if i ever get the chance to get back. Im even thinking of inviting him to my dojo later in the year.

8. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

The fact is mate we all have our opinions and of course we're entitled to share them however; arguments and fairly fundamental ones have been born from expressions of opinion and, when we consider the large number of people who have contributed a great deal to the development of (all styles) of aikido world wide, stating your opinion - even if it is a genuine one, will spark reaction in some - often a negative one.

Saito Sensei is a leading player in aikido world wide but, he's not the only one, he may be 'one of' the most technically proficient in the world, be he's just one of several, all I'm saying is that it is far more "aiki" to be accommodating of others and not to make singular statements in relation to one’s teacher - especially when one's statement can be seen in a negative context, even if they weren't meant as such.

Here's a question for you. If Saito Hitohiro Sensei was standing in a group of his aikido peers would he want you (or anyone) to proclaim (in their opinion or otherwise) that he was better than anyone else ? I think not.

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  9. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Again well said koryu101 and Koyo.
    The cult of personality is far too common in Aikido. It allows the average to pass themselves off as the great and the standards slip in each generation until most Aikido is a mockery of the art. The first step on that road is elevating one person too high and saying nothing an no-one can surpass them.

The Bear.

10. dentoiwamaryu

Totally agree with your view there koryu, but its still no reason for me not to say what i feel. we will just agree to disagree ;)

11. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Great work with the bokken. He's a very fast dude.

I'm not too impressed on the kokyu-nage throws. This is one part of the traditional aikido syllabus that I don't like, and this video still does nothing to change my opinion.

12. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Here's a reason. Tell a man he's a god often enough and he'll start to believe it. Provide him with everything he desires and he'll begin to expect it. Fail to perform this voluntary act of kindness just once and you'll be chastised and disowned for it.

13. dentoiwamaryu

I havent told sensei what i think, whats the point. its just something i think.

14. koyo

Hi kensei

I too share your dislike of this area of aikido however it is because so many aikidoka present the wrist grabs as "attacks" they are EXERCISES to help us study body alignment and kuzushi NOT PRACTICAL TECHNIQUES.

When I studied under Saito shihan (the father) the "techniques" you viewed were not called kokyu nage they were called tai no henko body alignment EXERCISES.

REGARDS KOYO

15. dentoiwamaryu

Very good point, koyo. they are also called kokyu-ho like suwari waza kokyu ho. the HO part menaing it to be an exercise. yes they are based on grip attacks or as they should be pacticed, as realistic restraints.
    The main part of tai no henko and the latter 2 is they are tanren excercises. tanren meaning to forge a certain are of the body, the same way as tanrenuchi work with heavy bokkens and also the same way swords are made. the forging of a sword is also called a form of tanren. So the tanren in tainohenko is to make the hips strong and stable under heavy pressure from your uke. Moroto dori kokyu ho is to study the same as tainohenko but also to study what is kokyu internally and externally. making kokyu when your partner maintains grip but also becomes very heavy (not blocking or resisting)
    is very hard. the throw is easy if you can get the balance properly but as saito said its not th ethrow thats important its the study of tanren and kokyu.

16. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Ah that's what it was. Cheers. There are some clubs here that actually pull them off as practical techniques, I had the same misconception.

Never put all aikido under the one blanket. Sorry. :D

17. dentoiwamaryu

Found another one today from a friend in germany.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=649A1u78oso"]Dento Iwama Ryu 3 - Ki No Nagare Technics - YouTube[/ame]
    these are all ki-no-nagare moves, something alot of Iwama schools lack in there practice.

18. koyo

Hi Dento

I can appreciate the kokyu ho and kuzushi demonstrated. However other's looking will AGAIN see aikido demonstrated against grabbing "attacks."

Some of the boys from the makotokai have been attending seminars (not iwama) and FULL seminars are given without one technique against focussed and powerfull attacks. I think this is the problem that many practisioners of other martial arts have with aikido as a martial art.

Any links showing practical techniques?

regards koyo

19. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

In my opinion these shouldn't be considered techniques at all since they do not reflect an attack. I would see them as sensitivity exercises at best.

The Bear.

20. dentoiwamaryu

No mate thats all the vids i can find. i have been in classes where sensei has taught hook punches and uppercuts, and his father has done the same. Polar bear is right in a way. yes they should be seen as techs but they do not represent what a fight situation would look like, we all know how aiki techs become alot more direct when used for real. These techs like all aiki is about taisabaki,body movement, how to awase with uke, how to move from the line of attack and how to take the balance.
    As for the idea that they are not attacks why are they not attacks? can you tell what you would define as an attack polar?
    Do you guys have any aikido vids with more free movement and striking attacks or combos. I have been to a lot of good classes where the atatcks where nongrips. using kicks haymakers free movement with tanto etc. very important classes. But sensie says him self he is opnly interested in studying dento aikido ,which does not realy include that many free movement atacks in them, but he said you should always study with other people too, this is the only way to keep aikido alive and evolving for the best.
    The sad thing is that alot of people do believe that ki-no-nagare or juwaza style demos are how they would move in a street fight. that would be funny to see.