Thinking about Aikido

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Music Man, Dec 7, 2015.

1. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Thanks for this! Am I also right in thinking that ducking and bob/weaving also exposes you to devastating knees/kicks from a thai guy? As well as elbows which YouKnowWho pointed out in response to my other thread. I agree that elbow and palm strikes are preferable to punches in a street scenario. Shane from fight tips empathizes this a lot. Elbows are pretty horrific strikes but obviously the weakness is they're very short range...the thing is, it doesn't really take much training to switch from punches to palm strikes with same boxing mechanics:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm0SyEqc7ns"]Bas Rutten's Palm Strike KO Secret Technique: Bone Strikes - YouTube[/ame]

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Head movement needs to be trained in the context of kicks, knees, elbows and takedowns. Tbh I'd argue that it just requires good form, but the margin for error is far tighter.

3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Well there you have the all important caveat. Context.

When is someone from a boxing base going to be fighting someone from a Thai base?

If we are talking any kind of fight where they are both accessing and working from those skill sets as their predominant forms of attack or defence, then we are thinking about consensual violence. If it is consensual violence within a competition then both fighters should also be employing skill sets from other arts to 'round' their game (because it is a game, even if it is a risk laden painful game) because with the best will in the world (even to my own core base) all arts have weaknesses that can be improved by cross training in others and competitive formats create environments that necessitate broad skill sets.

If we are talking about non consensual violence then they are unlikely to be bobbing and weaving or trading attacks.

Bobbing and weaving is an excellent and useful skill. It is a great form of exercise too. It is however a skill set orientated towards evading trained probing hand attacks while looking for opportunities to regain the initiative rather than evade a sustained frenzied assault, and it is not the response a skilled boxer would likely take to such an assault.

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Let be honest a boxer needs good head movement because he is trying to hit a moving opponent who is throwing fast aggressive combinations, on the streets normally all he needs to do is avoid strikes that are sloppy and slow and land a cross and it all over

What people who haven't boxed tend to forget is how hard and fast they can hit, how good their footwork is and much punishment they can take

for most boxers hitting a none combat sports guy is easy as they are trained to hit good.moving opponents wit actual skill. Hence most the clips of boxers on YouTube tend to have them winning and usually only throwing single shots

And the adjustments a boxer has to make to make his art work on the street are small compared to arts that dont spar much And do loads of one and two step sparring

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  5. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

There are many types of boxing and Thai boxing guards that can and should be transitional depending what's going on and if you get them right and get good angles and good alignment ,well as best as possible during a situation, they do perfectly well bare knuckle or gloved.
    The Burmese fight bare knuckle and have for a long time and their training and fundamentals do not differ massively from Thais and what they do with gloves and obviously both have boxing elements in them and do fine.

I think whatever needs doing needs doing so I personally would not rule out anything....open hand, closed ..anything. For me I prefer closed because it gives a slightly longer reach, and feels better to throw over and over and just seems to fit more and feel better. Ways to not break a hands can be to not to do big haymakers and keep things short and sharp and quick but with some sting and then if an opening comes for a big one, go for it. Rather than just swinging . But anything can get injured, even doing a closed hand strike. Who knows. If it works at the that moment, anything game.

I think good street attackers will set you up well too...they will sneak into a position they can't miss from or puts them at an advantage or lull you into a trap. There will be some sort of set up. Again...not just stand there and throw obvious wild swinging haymakers.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If you end up in a position where you are on the cobbles and bobbing and weaving you are either having a "square go" or else you initial engagement tactics need some serious work

7. Ben Gash CLF

If they punch straight I'll slip while doing a split entry. However I'll agree you shouldn't be doing multiple head movements.

8. John Titchen

I'm sorry but the mental picture that conjured up was priceless. :) It may have involved :banana:

9. Ben Gash CLF

*sigh*

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iXe0CWhDwA&feature=youtu.be"]MKG Madison - From the Archives - Split Entry Series Panantukan - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2016
  10. John Titchen

My version was funnier.

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Interestingly I don't have any initial engagement tactics. So far I've de-escalated every situation I've been in. Any advice?

12. Ben Gash CLF

Do you naturally flinch forwards or flinch back?

13. Pretty In Pink

You mean when I'm sensing danger or what? Give me a hypothetical :D

14. Ben Gash CLF

When the physical phase starts.

15. Pretty In Pink

I think last time it happened I pushed the guy away. Although I should point out that I started and wanted that fight.

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I would say if you managed that your initial engagement tactics are just fine

Self defense isn't just physical.... I sound like a scratched LP (remember those?) But it seems it needs repeating often

17. Pretty In Pink

Got a record player last month. Got some great ones and bought 3 albums so far.

18. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

My initial engagement tactic is to just laugh at the aggressor like I'm just not taking him seriously. I know most of the people would disagree but I just come across as confident and the opposite of a "victim".

If things got worse I'd just say "let's sort this out like real men - in the boxing ring. I've knocked out and been knocked out before so it ain't nothing for me to whoop a man's ****" then grin broadly :)

19. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

Questions for Aikido folks

I just took an Aikido class about a week ago. I found it to be truly interesting. I have a few questions for those of you that have taken Aikido for a good amount of time.

Would you be comfortable using only your Aikido skills in a street fight situation against 1 skilled fighter who uses another art (bjj, boxing, muay thai, etc), as well as an unskilled fighter?

How do you feel Aikido compares to other arts when it comes to dealing with more than 1 attacker skilled and unskilled?

Do you feel one can continue to practice Aikido more effectively then boxing or bjj or karate as one gets up in age?

I do find Aikido to be a fascinating martial art. And being that I like learning about the different arts that interest me that's why I'm asking these questions.

Thanks!

20. John Titchen

What is going on with you Music Man?

Have you still not decided to settle with an art? You've made many posts on here and regularly flagged up your need to protect your hands and wrists and yet despite advice the the contrary you are now trying an art that has a high incidence of finger and wrist injuries.