Thinkin here about New Martial Art

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by phatfire, Jun 24, 2006.

1. phatfire

phatfire New Member

Well the thing is I was hoping to do Aikido, but the travel is not sutible to me schedule. So thats out of the question, at least for now. So now I am looking in my imediate area. So now the question is what do i want to train in.

1. Kav Maga...only now that it's a praticul Israely self defense system.
    2. Hapkido.....Aikido's ugly cousin.
    3. BJJ..... know little about it.
    4. Kajukenbo...... know it's a post world war 2 style of combat...thats its
    5. Goju Ryu Karate.....nothin..

Well I am not in the greatest of physical shape. But I do want to get in better shape. I was wondering if some you guys and girls could give some info on these styles of combat. Leanin towards Krav Maga because I have heard good things about it, but my mind isn't made up.. O and in about a week I am goin to try out Kav Maga and see if thats a good choice, But nothing will be Deffinet yet. Please I could use the help and advise..

2. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

BJJ is predominantly ground fighting oriented depening on the school with or without a Gi. I heartily recommend it on the grounds that it's loads of fun because you get to roll practically every lesson (Thats wrestling and trying to submit your opponent).

People will tell you that you don't want to go to thr ground on the street, eye gouges, broken glass, lava, sharks, ninja's, gangs of 20 armed thugs stamping on you, whatever, but ultimately I couldnt care less because it's fun and it get's me in shape far better than anything else and at tyhe end of the day being out of shape is alot more likely to kill me than getting into a street fight anyway.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

If you're excited about aikido, I'd check out the hapkido school. I dunno about this "ugly cousin" stuff. If you do it well, it ain't ugly. (I'm guessing. I've not done hapkido, but I've seen it done to people.)

That depends, of course, on it being a good school. But that's true of every style.

Stuart

4. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

#1: As you correctly stated, Krav Maga is a system used by the Israeli defence and police forces. It's a very stable system, designed for self defence, not competitions.

#2: Hapkido is a martial art of Korean origin. Its name means literally "The way of coordination and internal power." Hapkido is a complete martial art in that it consists of: dynamic striking and kicking techniques, very similar to Tae Kwon Do, both hard and soft style deflection techniques, throws, takedowns, ground-fighting, and extensive joint locking techniques. Hapkido is the combination of two Korean Martial Arts - Yool Sool which comes from the Japanese art known as Daito-Ryu Aiki-Jutsu and Tae Kyon which is an ancient Korean Kicking Skill that was widespread during the time of the Three Kingdoms.

3# Brazillian JuJutsu is derived from traditional Japanese JuJutsu. It's primary aim is sport and competition. The style focuses on ground fighting and submissions. It has been gaining popularity since it appeared in the early UFC competitions.

4# Kajukenbo was founded in 1947 at Palamas Settlement on Oahu, Hawaii. It developed out a group calling themselves the "Black Belt Society", which consisted of black belts from various martial arts backgrounds who met to train and learn with each other.

5# Goju-Ryu Karate is a traditional Okinawan system of striking and kicking. If trained properly, it can very effective in self defence situations.

5. phatfire

phatfire New Member

Can someone give me more detailed info on Krav Maga. Anyone personally train in the art? And what can i expect from it?

Thank you for your anwsers :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  6. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

All taken from Wikipedia... Pinches of salt people.

The beginning of the system that would become Krav Maga in Israel was developed in Hungary and Czechoslovakia in the 1930s by Imi Lichtenfeld. This system was codified and first taught in Bratislava in order to protect the Jewish community from fascist militias.

When Imi Lichtenfeld came to British Mandate of Palestine prior to the establishment of the state of Israel, he began teaching hand to hand combat to the Haganah, the Jewish underground army. After the establishment of Israel, krav maga was the generic term used to reference the hand to hand combat taught to the Israeli armed forces and police.

When Lichtenfeld moved to Israel he changed his name to Sde-Or, a direct translation of his surname into Hebrew. Due to the fact that it is strictly a self-defense and military combat system, Krav Maga is constantly changing. After Mr. Lichtenfeld retired from a long career as chief instructor of close combat in the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), he started teaching Krav Maga to the civilian population. In this way, a civilian version based on the principles of self-defense was developed.

Prior to 1985, all experts in Krav Maga lived in Israel. Many schools have opened outside Israel, with the instructors being certified by the Israeli Krav Maga Association. Since the death of Imi Lichtenfeld, a number of different schools and associations of Krav Maga have developed around the world. There is currently a controversy among various organizations and individuals who claim the mantle as Imi's successor.

In Krav Maga, there are no hard-and-fast rules. It is not a sport and there is no competitive component. All the techniques focus on maximum efficiency in real-life conditions. Krav Maga generally assumes a no-quarter situation; the attacks and defenses are intended to inflict or divert the most pain possible on the opponent. Groin strikes, headbutts, and other efficient and potentially brutal attacks are emphasized.

The guiding principles for those performing Krav Maga techniques are:

avoid injury.
    go from defending to attacking as quickly as possible.
    use the body's natural reflexes.
    strike at any vulnerable point.
    use any tool or object nearby.
    The basic idea is to first deal with the immediate threat (being choked, for example), to prevent the attacker from re-attacking, then neutralize the opponent, proceeding through all the steps in a straightforward manner, despite the rush of adrenaline that would occur in such an attack. The emphasis is put on taking the initiative from the attacker as soon as possible.

Training
    Although Krav Maga shares many techniques with other martial arts, like Savate and Kickboxing (for the fist- and kick-fighting techniques) or Ju-Jutsu (for the grappling and disarming techniques), the training is quite different. It stresses fighting under worst-case circumstances (for example, against several opponents, when protecting someone else, with one arm unusable, when dizzy, or against armed opponents).

Training in Krav Maga is an aerobic workout, and relies heavily on pads. Students take turns holding pads and doing combatives against the pads. This is important because it allows the student to practice the technique at full strength, and the student holding the pad learns a little of what it feels like to get hit. It can be almost as taxing to hold a pad as to practice against one.

Training may employ a speaker system blasting loud music, stroboscope and/or fog machine meant to train the student to ignore peripheral distractions and focus on causing as much damage as possible. Training might also contain ways to deal with situations which could end in fights. Physical and verbal methods to avoid violence whenever possible are taught.

A typical Krav Maga session in a civilian school is about an hour long and mixes aerobic training with self-defense teaching. As levels increase, the instructors focus a little less on aerobic training and slightly more on combatives. First, the instructor will run a very intense drill to get the class's heart rates up. Then, after stretching, the instructor will teach two or three self-defense techniques. In the beginning the techniques will either be combatives (punches, hammer-fists, elbows, knees and roundhouse kicks, for example) or grappling (breaking out of chokes or wrist-grabs, getting out from under an opponent while on one's back). After that, the class usually moves to a drill that combines the techniques just taught with an aerobic technique. Finally, there is the final drill intended to burn out the students. Depending on the class - and on the instructor's mood - this drill may be at the very beginning or at the end of the class.

7. phatfire

phatfire New Member

Well now I am confused...I just had a KM guy tell me that the place that teaches near me is considered the worst in the nation... That really sucks to hear. I am still goin to check it out though. But he did point me to team quest, but thats to far. So now I am down on options...lol...well I want to learn something praticul. Well if anone trains near me could use your advise. Thank You for the help.