Things MMA has spoiled for Me

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pretty In Pink, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I blast Tapout a lot because of the kind of people who wear it. In essence, it's not different from the guys who buy the 200$ Jordans and the And 1 gear and think they know everything about basketball, or the guys wearing Underarmor thinking it makes them an elite athlete. The material association with ability (I own this brand, therefore I'm badass) is so stupid and naive. I have equal disdain for people who do this. Tapout gear hits closer to home though, since I'm pretty big into martial arts.

I actually like a lot of the Tapout designs. :p

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

^^ Harley-Davidson t-shirts.

3. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

This^^^^

My boss spent a crazy amount of money on Ferrari memorabilia. A T-Shirt black with the Ferrari badge £100 a Ferrari cap £80 and other such nonsense. He drives a Seat.

Baza

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

No offense intended, but if it was semi-contact, then it wasn't really 'mma', it was 'practice'.

This is pretty much the same argument that is levied at most Self Defence guys by most MMA guys. There's no real pressure, how do you know it will work.

One of the most ludicrous things I've seen in this regard was a SD instructor at a seminar, who was adamant that striking a man in the groin would initially make him lean backwards and make a backwards sweep viable. Clearly this hadn't been pressure tested.

Trouble is, you don't have many volunteers for that.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2XiiDYflus"]Bill is fascinated with groin kicking - YouTube[/ame]

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

MMA has spoiled martial arts for me.
    I like a nice smart gi, a bit of tradition and ceremony and structure.
    MMA is quite often all about tattoos, shaved heads, aggression and macho culture.
    As much as I love the skills displayed and what MMA has injected into mainstream martial arts and made people buck their ideas up I'm not a fan of MMA culture, ring girls, PED's and all that.

6. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

*looks at this comment*

*looks picture of Chadderz at his first semi-pro weigh in*

:thinking:

Lol, to be fair though, I could do without a lot of the macho BS, ring girls and what-not that sometimes go on.

To be fair, even I get bored of watching MMA sometimes and the attitude of "do what we do 'cos what we do is best!". Sure, it works well, but where's the imagination? :dunno:. It's like playing Magic: The Gathering all over again but this time with fit, strong people that can actually beat the snot out of me and hold conversations with women.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqyixwqiCag"]Family Guy - Stewie "Say WHAAAT?" (HD) - YouTube[/ame]

Used to love WWE wrestling as a kid. Now I can't stand it.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I don't have any of that! I always bow, wear a gi, and I have one tiny tattoo ;)

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Personally I lump it in with the general sports wearing mentality with the football etc.

I still got friends who are "careful" about which team shirt they wear in each area they go to.

At least with stuff like Tapout, its more of a generalisation of the sport. Strange how stuff like Lonsdale and Everlast don't get the same distasteful treatment.
    Is it cos they are more "classy" with their promotion? No skulls and chains and angels etc...

Exhibit A

http://www.bluebaldur.com/images/uploads/T-shirts/the_rear_naked_choke_T-shirt-white.jpg

9. Bozza Bostik

Erm....:dunno: I don't even get Magic, I know it's some card based RPG, but that's all I know. So that's lost on me.

Hated it when I was a kid.

W....W....WWE? I'm talking about Terry Funk V Sabu in a barbedwire match or Lucha Libre. The good stuff!

And some of us have to shave our heads. :cry: But I am waiting to go properly bald so I can have a comb over!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It's more the attitude that goes with it than the outward appearances.
    GSP has a shaved head and tattoos but was always respectful, wore a suit at press conferences and stuff like that.

I realised as I posted that a shaved head and tattoos probably describes quite a few people in here. :)

11. Bozza Bostik

So as I don't train in an MMA club anymore...I am excused?

12. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Would you say that a person only does MMA if they compete then?

13. LemonSloth

Less "RPG", more "You're a super awesome wizard who can use all these cards that represent magical batteries so you can bombard your opponent with spells and monsters!"

As for the type of players...think of adult warhammer players. They're like that, but often "witchier".

Oh, then you are forgiven. :)

There is a monstrously rude joke I am tempted to make in there that would probably violate ToS and get me poked with the ban-stick.

So I shall respond by saying I have had a receding hairline since I was about 12. Hair loss is not something I can worry about :p

14. Ero-Sennin

Hmm, I don't quite think he meant that. Semi-contact tends to mean "very light" sparring. In Boxing it would be a step above shadow boxing against a partner, the difference being you actually touch them. A lot of people would walk into a light sparring session in a boxing gym and think the guys are going full contact, which isn't the case at all. I imagine the same thing happens in MMA.

15. Bozza Bostik

You didn't notice the super fast edit!

16. Ero-Sennin

17. LemonSloth

Oh, I did, it just took me a few minutes to finish my post :p

18. Heikki Mustola

Heikki Mustola Valued Member

Same thing in movie scenes with me, I hate the most of fight scenes.. Either the technique is bad or the scene is very unrealistic.

Also, I think about fights daily. I think about them at home, I think about them while I am at market buying food, I think about them on streets... Sometimes on the streets I might watch someone at the other side of the street and just wonder if he would suddenly attack me. I wonder what would they do, would they swing wildly, try to take me down, I go through with the scenarios just for fun. I dont think about who would end up hurt more badly, nor I even think about the violence aspect really. I just think about the techniques.

When I see a street fight, I also sometimes get real frustrated about the lack of technique. Especially if they are swinging with their punches like a windmill. I am in no position to critique myself since my technique isn't that good either, but I cant help it, it bothers me every single time.

19. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

Hmmmm MMA spoiled my SD critiques about alot of moves ( never do this, or that etc) due to the pressure testing. Thats about it.

I enjoy watching MMA if the fighter is good. Though my favorite MMA stuff is the super brutal, closest to a real fight/ SD situation, stuff that is frowned on in civilized society these days. I like the old VALE TUDO matches they had, where it was literally ANYTHING GOES, Groin shots, rabbit punches, kicks to a downed oppoenent etc. That came with a certain thrill to watch, because it was as hardcore as you could get at the time. Hence my respect for the people that used to fight in that format ( Wanderlei silva etc)

And as for movie stuff, has anyone noticed a trend towards more MMA style stuff in action these days, seeing alot of clinch striking, ground fighting, take downs etc. not realistic mind you, but in that style.

20. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah, I've noticed that. They need to stop that.