Things MMA has spoiled for Me

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pretty In Pink, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I can't watch a fight scene now in the movies without cringing. I'm always agreeing with other martial artists who pressure test their art, there isn't really any disagreeing.

What else has pressure tested martial arts ruined for you? :D

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

A year of my life so far. :mad::p

I'm going traditional w/ no sparring when I get better. The Kata life is the life for me.

3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I find it difficult to watch anything vaguely martial or military unless it is clearly science fiction or fantasy, then I can 'overlook' stuff.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Happily, the only thing it's spoiled for me was the naive preconceptions of 1994-Me. The first UFC (and every subsequent one) was a real eye opener. Not unhappy about it. Even though I haven't specifically jumped on the bandwagon in terms of competition. I believe strongly in the training methodology all the same.

It certainly hasn't ruined movies for me. I enjoy real MMA bouts. I enjoy fanciful martial stuntwork. For very different and peacefully coexisting reasons.

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I think all MA systems should train like the Judo guy does. You learn the

1. technique,
    2. counter to that technique,
    3. counters to those counters

and in that right order.

You then use:

- sparring/wrestling to "test" your skill,
    - equipment/weight training to "enhance" your skill,
    - solo drills to "polish" your skill.

First you develop your "finish moves (for example hip throw)". You then develop your "entering strategy (how to use kick punch to set up your hip throw)" to support your "finish moves". With different finish moves, you may train different entering strategies. When you train this way, the word "style" will have no meaning to you. I truly don't know there can be another better training method.

It's not your style. It's your "training method".

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  6. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Most movie fights that don't involve super powers. I can't watch them without being rather critical of fight scenes. I can't even watch Raid 2 from the previews I've seen because of it.

And Olympic Taekwondo. :(

7. Kave

Kave Lunatic

MMA ruined all the terrible fight advice I got given over the years, mainly given to me by my dad.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Hahaha, "kick him between the legs son."

9. Kave

Kave Lunatic

If only the advice was that useful. I remember classics like "never try to fight more than three people at once" (when I struggle fighting one person). I also got taught the wax-on wax-off block. Seriously could have done with advice more like guard up, chin down, and keep your mouth closed.

10. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

"Nijustu"

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Things MMA has spoiled for Me

If your opponent

- punches at you, you take him down.
    - kicks at you, you take him down.
    - does nothing, you still take him down.

A good enemy is the one on the ground, not standing.

12. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

What's it spoiled for me...

That a lot of MMA nutriders seem to think that they know something about "S3lf d3f3nce".

MMA is a ritualistic thing where two adults consent to a ruleset and duke it out. I love MMA, I've trained MMA, I've coached MMA and I've fought amateur.

I love that MMA has forced the idea of pressure testing onto the larger MA community (not that it was new, I was training Judo/Boxing in the 90's and we were like 'Oh, so they just allow more stuff').

A lot of the positions that are trained for sport have the potential to get you killed if there is a knife involved in a street situation. All I'm saying, is that before you try to teach 'self defence' that you do a reality check on the material that you are offering.

13. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Agree with the Sloth...er...the Lemon and JWT. (I did like Raid though - Maybe 'cause it was kinda different).

I can't watch action films or MA films and I think MMA/DBMA has something do with that. More the old NHB / Vale Tudo fights. If it's totally fantastical, then I can let it go. I mean if you have people time travelling then you might as well have them get smashed about and shot for 90 mins and still beat the bad guy at the end.

I find it hilarious when people tell me the Bourne films are like James Bond but realistic!

I took a long break from MA, when I got back into training it seemed that a lot of the "traditional" arts weren't so popular. BJJ on the other hand had become huge. I do think it's a shame. Although I have very little interest in a lot of the traditional Asian arts, there is benefits to them (obvious comment) and they do offer something else than fighting skills or SD.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  14. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I'd like to add "Youtube discussions" and "Wing Chun" to the list.

Youtube is not the place for intelligent discussion in the first place, but frankly MMA fanboys ruin it for me even more than TMA zealots and trolls do. Pretty much anything that isn't MMA gets spammed with "Oh yeah, but this is crap otherwise MMA" type comments. What's wrong with just enjoying someone else's viewpoint on a technique?

As for Wing Chun...I loved the concept of it when I was growing up and knew nothing about MA. Those hands were so fast and I used to play with my mates chain slapping each other like Jet Li/Bruce Lee in the movies and it was great fun. Now I'm older I keep wanting someone from a WC background to rock up in MMA and do well, but it's yet to happen :(

15. Bozza Bostik

Like most things in life, they are as annoying as each other and both deserve to be left in a dark room with Ero and his warped sense of humour.

16. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

#Crisco

17. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

MMA has spoiled nothing for me. Fight scenes in movies are supposed to be exagirated thats why people in general enjoy them. To be quite honest i find MMA boring as hell to watch. Glad of a movie that comes along and makes it a bit more exciting to watch.

In everyday life - well it hasn't runined any of that for me either. In martial arts????? nope hasn't ruined that either, love big flashy kicks and thats the reason i do TKD so all in all MMA has ruined nothing for me.

Baza

18. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Nothing - 26 years ago I started Kyu Shin Ryu Karate - (stopped last year) - we did 'mma' long before 'mma' - admittedly only 'semi-contact' rater than full contact but throws, punches, kicks, locks, takedowns, groundwork (and again I acknowledge very unskilled by today's mma standards) - But mma was just .... MORE...

Mind you the whole ground & pound thing can be brutal and ugly and not something that I like at all... sport should be sporting...

19. Bozza Bostik

I have been too scared to say that on MAP ;)

I used to love it (and train in an MMA gym) but got sick of seeing the same old stuff. Sure, it's the techniques that work...but there's only so many times I could see them. I got back into watching pro-wrestling as it was more fun...and to be honest, there's a heck of a lot more honesty in it. Hah!

20. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

The magical invincible take down.

Like it was never thought before. Now we've all seem to have grown past that, save for the odd TMA McDojo who tried to add it to their repetoire or have said "defeatable" with no pressure testing with anyone actually good at it

Being in/from a film and stunt background myself, I never collate fight scenes with real life anyway. "Suspension of disbelief" is the phrase.

I mean..how realistic is Rocky?? All the fights wouldve been stopped in the 1st round with the damage alone.
    But films have to "exaggerate" everything because general audiences are (for the lack of a better word) bit dense when it comes to subtlety. Even documentaries are as subtle as jumping pump kick to the sensitive parts.

oh and Tapout. MMA fandom ruined Tapout for me.

Still rock it though.

Rawr