The WORST knife defense I have seen...well since the last one

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Hannibal, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

The only illusion is in the attacker's head where he thinks he's delivering a good attack.

The illusion comes from being indoctrinated in how to move and react.

Have you studied Systema?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Or reality?

3. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

seriously relax...

4. Hannibal

It's a serious subject and crap like you posted will get people killed - so no, i won't relax as long as you keep advocating utter tripe

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Dr., please with utmost sincerity, can you point out the flaws in that vid....

Thanking you in advance-

6. Dean Winchester

Before you get to the technical aspects you have to consider how the attacker is behaving.

As everything is based from that feed everything will be tainted by it.

Just look at something as fundamental as when he (Rybako) moves off line, he does so with inappropriate timing. He moves at the wrong point and speed in relation to his opponent. The attacker leads with this compliant, telegraphed lunge which only compounds the issue.

If that basic aspect is screwed then everything after that is lost, IMO.

Yes train slow but don't use that flaw as a method to make the technique workable.

7. Hannibal

Sure...

First off he grabs and deflects the blade - thats like trying to turn a fan off by putting your hand through the blade to get the switch

His movements are grossly inflated and have no control over anyone that is not willing to play "fall down for the fat dude"

Several defenses involve him using his BODY to deflect and control the blade - a great way to "trim the fat" in his case, but not what he was aiming for

Terrible uke attacks with no realistic sense of distance timing or pressure

Unrealistic uke responses to "controlling" techniques

With knife work there is NO margin for error or guesswork, and this is just dangerous nonsense done in combat pants to make it look realistic and all "military"...it's crap. Modern version of "chi-balls" and "no touch KO"

8. 47MartialMan

KUDOS

Actually, I did not prefer or like the idea of the defender's hand in contact with the blade of the knife.

My thought if the attacker is moving in fast, I dont see where one can actually place their hand on the blade of the knife and do any of those defensive methods on time

It is one of those "go and freeze", or "go too slow so that it will work", "supposed" schools/defense courses that I speak of.

9. Dean Winchester

Grab the knife or hand and there's a good opening, IMO, for them to push/pull cut and use the other hand re-enforce it.

All those wrist grabs you see in modern arts with their roots in old school Japanese ones? Stick a blade in there and they make more sense.

Take my posts with a pinch of salt though, I'm far from being knowledgeable or having expertise.

10. Hannibal

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk-EVLyIpts"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk-EVLyIpts[/ame]

11. 47MartialMan

Thanks. Just read your post after I had posted right behind it. In other other words, the system posted the one I was respondng to Dean after yours I guess while I was typing it.

However,

Kinda reminds me of "no touch KOs" where the attacker "willingly" succumbs due to being awestruck or has mental issues

On another note, I read a few times of the term "shanking". Long ago in my culture, that was a boy doing something to a girl.....

We had used the term "pig sticking". And a knife was either a "pig sticker/poker"

Odd, back then in my culture, no one wanted to carry large knives. They wanted compac-concealment. Even the "infamous switch blade", which was cool and used as a great "intimidation" weapon, was not carried for knife defense/combat for street violence.

Police (those I knew of back then) would confiscate/arrest/catalog many small knives.

(I was one of few youths that did not like to carry a knife as beng raised in a hunting-stlye famly, a knife was a skinning and mostly "utility tool" and was never a large nearly "Bowie" style)

Therefore, said method in the video, if "possible" will not work on smaller knives.

On another note: Said culture is now carrying guns. Police sources tell me they confiscate/arrest/catalog more firearms than knives nowadays
    They also tell me that they respond to home-domestic disputes involving knives more, than guns.
    My take is that if it is among kinfolk, they dont wont to shoot each other, just either scare or not intent to kill each other

But hey, I will see a few LEOs at a upcoming event and do some more inquiry

12. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Well just bringing this question back for a quick answer.

The issues with the X-block technique in the picture are numerous, but specifically just with the X-block, the knife point is pointing at the defender. As a general rule, all knife defenses should never allow the knife to point at anything you do not want cut/stabbed.

13. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

that's really easy when you are working with a cooperative person who doesn't want to embarrass you +
    people are less likely to voice dissenting opinions in a big gathering. That's the psychology behind it.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  14. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

There has got be some kind of context missing for this video.

Are these techniques intended to be used with body armor? They look similar to what is taught for use with stab resistant body armor.

15. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

There's no context missing. That is standad Systema knife defense. I had a Systema practitioner come in to my Kali class once. He could not understand why he kept getting stabbed and cut.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Is the first thing you learn in systema "how to go all floppy when someone looks at you"?

17. Dean Winchester

That's closer to the truth than you realise.

I think one of the big problems with it is that many students don't switch training modes at appropriate times.

So instead of being moved naturally when hit they over emphasise the responses they have drilled.

Their ukemi is very good but instead of taking the fall realistically they automatically act as if training break falling or sensitivity drills.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  18. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

@Madmonk:

Did the systema student get what wasn't working?

What happened when you showed n told them the difference?

Thanks

19. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

After about the 15th time of me stabbing him in the throat, I asked him if he understood what was happening. He said his instructor could make it work and didn't understand why he couldn't. I tried explaining alive training methods and the reality of the blade, but...:bang:

He never returned.

20. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

That's a shame. Sounds like he needed to. Some folks won't question their vested beliefs though eh?