The Ultimate Fighter 1 - Jason Thacker

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Ular Sawa, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I don't know how many of you guys remember the first season of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF), the show that catapulted the UFC into fame. There was a lone Canadian on the show named Jason Thacker who lasted a couple of episodes and later came back to fight & lose to Chris Leben in the finale.

The article linked is a lengthy read about a guy who didn't know what he was getting himself into and had it blow up in his face. I'm going with "wrong place at the right time".

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/3/24/8259545/in-search-of-strange-brew

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Man - they really screwed him over. But he got to punch Dana White in the face - how many UFC fighters wish they had that opportunity?

Incidentally, a crowdfunding effort was started in the wake of this article. If you have some spare change to help support a fighter who didn't fall on hard times, so much as hard times were thrust upon him, you can donate at http://www.gofundme.com/jasonthackertuf1

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I was halfway through reading that on way to work. Its a really interesting read (without trying to make it sound like I enjoyed what happened to him)

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Listen, I am not saying he wasn't treated poorly, because he wasn't treated great. But I don't think it is fair that he blames the show for ruining his life.

Sounds like he had depression, was on medications, and was also drinking way before TUF. The description of him growing up and before the show shows he had ample myriad issues his whole life - well before TUF.

And he was drinking and hanging out in bars after the show, making poor choices.

Just seems like he found an excuse to blame the way his life turned out. No, he wasn't treated great, but he chose to be on that show. And he didn't have to make the choices he did after that show either. The UFC did not ruin his entire fight career. He had no fight career by his own admission to begin with. And many fighters take a year off, so the UFC holding onto his contract for one year did not ruin him either.

I feel sympathy that the guy is having a rough life. I am sorry he is dealing with obvious mental health issues- ones that started way before TUF. I feel bad for all people that grow up in such poverty. I hope he takes the money he is getting from this fundraiser and gets some proper mental health treatment as well as other help.

But I don't feel sympathy for him as the poor guy who had the UFC and TUF ruin his life. That he was having a great successful life and this experience took that away. He is using the UFC as a scapegoat and I don't buy it.

I'll be honest. I would like some evidence that he received the level of hostility that he claims he did. I am sure he received some, but I honestly doubt it happened the way he told it to that extreme. Not saying he is lying, but that his perception may be skewed.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015