The Systema Punch

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Crane Strike, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Anyone have any good video of this "Systema punch"?

2. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U__Mcpya40"]Val Raizanov -Systema Ballistic Striking explained by Neil Franklin - YouTube[/ame]

@2:18

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

4. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Well, you asked for a video of the punch. I provided it. I've never studied Systema, so im not qualified to answer how its different.

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Gotcha.

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Not all of us have a smorgasbord of martial arts available in our areas. The closest Systema place I can even find nearest me is almost six hours away. A bit inconvenient for me to go and try.

7. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Am on my mobile, so gonna keep it short. Kuma and Snoop, all fair points. The simple point I'm trying to make is that you should not judge a book by it's cover. If you get an opportunity to try this stuff out, why not go for it. Don't go out of your way or anything, just keep it in mind in case something pops up. Nothing to lose, bar a bit of time. But, if it is as effective as it's being made out to be, then maybe you add something useful to your bag of skills. If it sucks, then you can come back and hopefully share your experience with us, save other folk sometime etc.

I got two Systema schools not too far from me, but I don't have this burning interest in the validity of their methods, plus I have seen and felt stranger strikes with simmilar effect on myself, so it's not as foreighn or inconceveable to me. If I ever do make it down to these schools I'll hapily share my experience.

8. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Looked good, he's putting a whip into the motion and his technique is very smooth, gets the hip in.

But from what I can see the number one reason the Systema punch hurts so much is that it lands when the recipient is breathing in. He's timing it perfectly, thats the main reason why it's doing so much more damage than the other punches, the guys always breathing in and not quite prepared for the impact.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  9. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

are my eyes deceiving it, or was the punched guy completely relaxed too? i didn't notice him actually bracing himself to take the punches...

that said, the strikes themselves were sound though good hip movement, good structure, and fast as hell.

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Neither did I. Compare how he preps himself for the first guy's rear straights to how he preps himself for the other guy's punches.

And Snoop, I think you mean "breathing in" but I agree.

As far as staying relaxed and using a whip-like motion, well, that's definitely not a new concept.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DEVYxsihlE"]karate - YouTube[/ame]

11. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Yep! Good old dyslexia, I can never remember. And yeah, it doesn't really look like he's as prepared for the systema guys shots

12. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

EXACTLY! :cool:

Which is why I stated;

:hat:

13. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Aureated? You mean it's of or pertaining to a heavily ornamental, affected writing style that uses rhetorical flourishes and interlarded foreign words excessively, commonly associated with english, french and scottish writers of the 15th century? Or something else entirely?

14. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

^^^
    FTW
    I was trying to work out how he was trying to use it, either that or gilded with gold, and neither of those seem to fit his usage.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  15. Crane Strike

Crane Strike New Member

That makes perfect sense to me. Thank you.

16. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I'll tell you why the systema punch hurts so much- it's the sheer ignorance and naivety conveyed in the formulation of the phrase 'the systema punch'. It just pains us to see it.

17. Crane Strike

Crane Strike New Member

lol nice.

18. RobP

RobP Valued Member

I'm not sure that I've ever been taught "the Systema punch". I've worked off of figure 8 movements, with wave motion, drop step, short strikes, heavy hits, elbows, etc, etc all the usual stuff. "Systema punching" I could go with, Systema's more about verbs than nouns IME.

The striking grows out of the movement, you can increase the effect through good body mechanics, placement, timing, good use of tension and not being too obvious with your hits. Like anything it's down to how you train it - and learning to use what is appropriate for the circumstances.

I'm sure Steve Wildash's training blog has lots of info on different types of strikes training we do
    http://stevewildash.blogspot.com/

As for shin kicks, bracing, compliance etc etc maybe they could be added in for things to try out at Dudelove's throwdown? The lads are looking forward to working with some different people, it's always good feedback

19. Dudelove

Dudelove Valued Member

Trying to play games Rob?:rolleyes:

Wouldn't be my throwdown mate, would be a bullshido throwdown hosted by a suitable gym... I presume you teach in a suitable venue, why don't you host a throwndown?

If it's near London, I'll be there.

I really want to try out the handbag strap knife defence with you on camera. I've put myself in a strange position because I've called bullshido on the claims of 'strikes that effect memories' and 'strikes that cheer you up', I've basically given you an excuse to hit me in the Brachial and Solar plexus, oh well... Which brings me on to...

====

The systema punch looks like a solid way to strike but I think it's important to remember that they are punching people standing still in the Brachial and Solar plexus, whilst they are often standing side on and throwing a hook.

I've been punched in the Brachial Plexus (through a yellow pages by Dennis Jones no less!) and I didn't understand the effects it had on me until I saw it mentioned on Bullshido and did some research. (my shoulder is pulled forward out of alignment so probably make me more suseptible to a brachial plexus strike, but Dennis' 'tap' is damn hard).

Brachial Plexus image.

In this video Val looks like he can hit damn hard but he does direct the stikes at the Brachial and Solar Plexus, hence the effects.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAunUZD6yAs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAunUZD6yAs[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  20. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Mind games???

I teach in a venue approx 45 minutes from London, directly up the A1. As I have said repeatedly anyone is welcome to come along on a Saturday morning, the address is on my website. I'm sure I could extend the session for a couple of hours if anyone here is interested in having a meet?

I've also repeatedly agreed to attend any get together, where practical and run through anything you want to try.

You also said

" I'm not talking about sparring I'm talking about putting on a headgear and going full out in a sceanrio replicating an assualt (weapons included), I don't understand why systema instructor get so defensive when they are requested for it "

and

"The reason why I want to meet up is because I want to have a systema instructor try to disarm a knife using handbag straps (like vlad demonstrates) and when it fails I want to post it on youtube for people to see"

It would seem like the opportunity is available

The so-called " Systema punch" ... you take one aspect of a specific drill and assign your own importance and place in our training method to it. We can cover some of that work too if you like:dunno: