The Spiritual element of MT

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by AAAhmed46, Sep 8, 2004.

1. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

What are the philosophical points of MT? I noticed that no one talks about it in the schools here, but obviosly its there in thailand, because before each MT match there, the guys do this little dance and start fighting.

Anyone know anything? Philosophical as in philosophies for life and the 'thai' names for the attacks, and their translation.

2. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

Well the wai kru or ram muay (not sure if there is a difference...) are done to show respect for your teacher etc, and I think it has roots in Buddhism. You can probably find some of the Thai names for techniques online.

3. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

Indeed. Muay Thai is surrounded in Buddhist culture, although you don't really see a lot of it unless you train in Thailand. From what I can gather, Muay Thai has similar philosophies to most other traditional martial arts, betterment of the self, respect for the teacher and everybody else etc.

One of the most interesting things I've found is the idea of the mentor, supposedly the one thing you must have to really experience Muay Thai. They are quite often considered second only to one's parents, in terms of respect and obedience.

http://www.wmtc.nu/html/wmc03_mtwaikru.html

4. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

In order to understand MT you have to understand Thai culture and Buddhist principles.
    read through http://www.geocities.com/smartchai/muay_thai.html for a complete breakdown of gkon/cherng along with poetic names for mae mai and luk mai. Wish I knew the Thai translations for everything but sorry I only know some.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  5. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

As far as i am concerned I am just learning to fight. I am not after spiritual enlightenment, I have no thai ancestors, I am not buddhist and I am not afraid of evil spirits. Therefore i learn only what I need to learn from it. In order to show respect to my teacher I will shake his hand. :D

I have a lot of respect for muay thai and its roots but as an Englishman that is where I leave it.

6. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

i agree entirely

7. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

All I have to say to you two Brits is....NHAK SU KAOWWW...NHAK SU KAOWWWW

8. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

well i dont care what u say because i dont understand it! :D

9. Combatant

Doesnt that mean 'the white warrior'? -i'll go with that, 'appy days!

Changing the subject a bit; Thats another point about martial arts films. Why is it when an american (or lead character) goes and trains with an old master, kru, or sensai, all of a sudden he feels the need to go buddhist and start bowing at every religious artifact? :bang: :D Anyone else noticed this?

10. sky

sky Valued Member

mabey to show respect for his teacher because they follow it, or because the teacher makes them??

11. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

Maybe it makes him more enlightenened infront of the audience.

12. notquitedead

It's a movie, what can you say? I seriously doubt in real life if you went and trained with a Buddhist kru that he would make you convert to buddhism. Buddhism seems like a peaceful religion, not one that they would try to convert you with.

13. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Spirituality? I thought Muay Thai was just about hitting people hard. lol. I am in complete agreement with Combatant, although i myself do not take MT

14. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yeah thats because you have the iq of a glass of water. KEEP ON TRUCKING :D

15. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

Well most films do depict the farang/foreigner as somewhat alien to the asian martial arts and life. While it may seem insulting, you can always look at it the other way around. The farang is actually WILLING to subject himself/herself to re-learning an entirely new way of life. Shows motivation and drive that even alot of Asians lack. That even an outsider is willing to learn. Case and point: Steven Seagal is practically Japanese.

You don't HAVE to convert to anything to learn a martial art. That's mainly out of your own free will and is up to how far your instructor takes you. However, I think that if you immerse yourself into a martial art, you should have some idea about its traditions, rituals, background, terminology and where you are drawing your knowledge from. Without that, you're just a brawler. If you decide to teach one day, it would be very important. I don't know. If that's your angle and you're simply looking to stack up techniques for the next cage fight or just mixing it up for the street, that's fine. Another thing is that it would probably discourage a lot of folks from joining a gym since they have to receive history lessons. Bad for business so owners have to work with the lowest common denominator and cut corners. Screw the background and small details, you pay and you play.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  16. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Presonall Attack, Personal Attack!

I bet if I had said this 16 cats would be up on my nuts.

What's the IQ of a glass of water anyway? About 150?

17. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

IQ used to be mental age over / biological age *100, I believe. Its just a normailzed index these days.

18. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

its 4 isnt it? according to red dwarf :D

19. notquitedead

Scarlet if you make a dumb comment expect a dumb respone. :p

20. Combatant

Muay thai has nothing to do with religion. It is a system designed for defeating adversaries. THen it was a form of competition with the same goal. I agree that learning about the culture and history can help understand muay thai just like any other martial art. One way it can help is by showing its weaknesses (aswell as its strengths). But I don't see how else it will turn you into a good fighter (being able to defeat an adversary).