The solution to evil

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Iron dog, May 20, 2005.

1. Iron dog

Iron dog New Member

The solution to evil,is knowing the methods of how to work with it and to use its power. Wherever it comes from, evil comes from outside of us,and from the inside.But u cannot barge in,expecting to win against evil. Evil is a tremendously powerful force.Greater than us mere humans.We have to learn to transform evil into good.Electricity is extremely dangerous,a lighting bolt can kill u.But look what man has learned here.He has found a way of redirecting that potentially harmful natural force.And now he utilizes it everywhere.He is no longer afraid of it,like he once would have been during the earlier superstitious ages. How foolish that philosophers never stop discussing god,s fallability,for allowing evil to exist.How come this is evil,and that is evil they say,if god is all kind,and perfect? But answers to the question of the evil are not explanations but methods.Christians and muslims especially must understand that u cannot,for god would not allow it,eradicate evil.No!U must transform it into good.Only then will u see something on earth that resembles a heaven.

2. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

It seems to me that anthropomophizing naturally occuring pheonomina as "evil" is a pretty superstitious thing. Lighting isn't good or evil. It just simply is. Both good and evil are subjective, human inventions of language for the purpose of classification.

And, btw, don't exist in all dialects.

And before one jumps on my case... I'm not suggesting that people can't act in ways that we would consider good or evil. Just be careful in projecting human concepts on non-human actors. The term in the 'biz for this is fetishization.

- Matt

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Use of the word "solution" implies that there is a problem. And the nature of the problem dictates the solution.

What's the problem?

'Course, if the existence of evil is the problem, one solution would be to kill everybody. I don't advocate or like that solution, though.

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

First I think you have to define evil. Remember, one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. Just to add my two cents worth.

5. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

I agree with this and with what Matt said. I think that 'evil' is a human creation and a broad label that basically says, "This is something I don't like."

6. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I agree totally with the whole perspective of good and evil being human constructs. Lightning is simply lightning. We all know (roughly) how it works: two areas of electrical potential difference . . . path of least resistance . . . blah blah blah. We interpret its effects as good or evil in relation to how they affect us personally. If it strikes our house it's "evil", if it flashes harmlessly in the distance it's a beautiful natural phenomena. Some may even argue that if it were to strike down a mass-murderer then it would be good.

However, I just wanted to say that there is some merit in what he's saying. To give a crude example: if some jerk is giving you a hard time, you can react in many ways. Some will antagonise them and make the situation worse, others will calm the situation down and may even turn the aggressor into a friend. I realise I'm stretching the definitions of good and evil quite a bit here, but you could say that the outcome of the first was "evil" and the second "good".

Finally, Iron dog, it's all very well preaching at us and telling us "The solution to evil,is knowing the methods of how to work with it", but if you are going to preach at us, you could at least tell us what these methods are and how to work with it. ;)

7. Iron dog

Iron dog New Member

cosmic fish has some good points.

8. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Technically, Evil's "power" is the same as that of Good, only it's disconnected from right-thinking and comes out selfishly. Just educate people into being good.

Bad people are sad people because they're too scared to be nice people :love:

Case solved :Angel:.

Rgds,
    David

9. Iron dog

Iron dog New Member

My example of electricity having to be harnessed was not to be taken as an example of evil.Im well aware of what u say,that electricity is neutral.My real point is we must transform evil in a similiar way only to electricity.I am not calling electricity evil.really.As for enlightening some of u,that is not my job.My job is to provide an opinion.If the opinion is of any value to u,then it may play a part in helping to enlighten.but it would only ever help.or it may hinder.whatever.Cosmic fish asks why do i not enlighten him on what methods to use to transform evil.Well if i think u are genuinely interested cosmic fish i may speak to u in private.And give u those details.But since i think u are just trying to be smart there would be no point in me explaining myself,would there?

10. CosmicFish

OK, I'll concede I was trying to be smart ;) but only a little. You have to admit that you set yourself up as something of a preacher with your initial post though, so you have to expect a bit of heckling from your audience. :p

I'm not sure I agree with the whole "I'll tell you how to overcome evil in private" thing though. If I knew some secret method of transforming evil into good I'd be telling everyone who'd stop to listen!

11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

'Course, there are some people who would disagree with that claim.
    Did you get this from "Revenge of the Sith" ? It sounds an awful lot like what the Emporer said to Anakin, when tempting Anakin to join the Dark Side.

I, for one, appreciate that kind-hearted thought!
    But um, you mean like John the Baptist and some of those other crazy characters that one hears about on Sundays? :confused:

12. CosmicFish

Hmmm, good point. Perhaps it would be better if I was to test that the method worked first! ;)

13. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

You gotta understand that "evil" comes from fear. So to eliminate "evil" you have to eliminate fear. But herein lies the problem. Fear is a survival tool.

14. Iron dog

Iron dog New Member

Why should we understand evil comes from fear prophet?What are you saying evil is?You go against what i think.

15. Devoken

Devoken On the Path-Off the Rails

No! No! I shall never turn to the dark side! No! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

:bang: