The Rat Files

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Rataca100, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

How does that work? 5 metres isn't even enough space to break into a run. If you only literally have 5 metres to use then the best bet is some bodyweight stuff or do the prison workout. Walk across the 5 metres, do 20 burpees (or 10 to start with), walk back again, 19 burpees, walk 5 metres again, 18 burpees....etc etc until you reach zero.

Dead_pool likes this.
  2. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

3. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

4. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

No, sorry. I've never been a big fan of the Men's Health website either.

Ironically, I can't even view it on my end because of the ads. I just posted my google search results.

I recommend that you just buy the book. Or at least check it out at your local book store.

Rataca100 likes this.
  5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm a big fan of C25K. My 13 year old son did it and enjoyed it so much he now regularly decides to go for a run, anywhere from 1 to 3 miles a few times a week.

In my late 40's I've used it successfully to build up when I've been off running for a while.

Anything that works for such a spread of people is good in my book.

Everyone has to start somewhere :) Let's explain the why's and how's for people who may not know them :)

This is great advice Rataca100.

Years ago, my TKD class was occasionally kicked out of the large hall we hired because they had a blood donors session in there. No complaints over occasionally losing our venue to such a worthy cause once every few months.

What we got given instead on those nights was a squash court, in an unheated brick built building with painted walls.

I remember standing in front of a class of around 20-30 people thinking, "What the hell am I going to do with them all in one squash court?!"

What we did was an hour of killer bodyweight exercises on the spot, relay runs and stretches.

People barely moved from the spot they were on for the whole hour, but by the end of it the walls were literally running with our sweat. It condensed out on the cold walls and ran in little rivulets down to the floor. :)

They don't run the blood donor sessions on the same night as us anymore, but those squash court sessions are still legendary in the club. I miss them :D

Now, In your shoes I'd look at smitfire's advice but scale it. If you did 5+4+3+2+1 that's 15 burpees, which with the walking will take you a few minutes but is a good start. Do that for a week, every day or every other day, depending on how you feel. Next week do 6+5+4+3+2+1 and you've really progressed.

The trick is to find some stuff you enjoy doing, do it regularly, keep doing it, and increase the load over time. If you get bored with it, change it and mix tings up, but always look for progress, especially in solid fundamental exercises :)

Mitch

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Knee Rider, Dead_pool and SCA like this.
  6. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Yep! I used it myself to conquer my inate hatred of running a few years back now: it simply works. I ended up running 10k and upwards 3 times a week as my Muay Thai roadwork, which was a complete miracle given my history of running.

Not run as much lately but am planning on getting back on it.

Mitch and Dead_pool like this.
  7. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

11/10/17

Breakfast boiled eggs on toast

Tea: Prawns.

after lesson, Canned Beans and sausage with two slices of white bread.

Exercise:
    Lesson was basically warm up*, patterns and then pad work for the last section.

White belt patterns for me.

* by warm up, it wasnt just static, it was jogging and such like that.

Last one for 3 weeks for reasons.

Drinks: I had 500ml of diet cherry coke

1 liter of sugar free coke after the lesson. (two 500ml spaced out)

Had aprox 1.5 liters of water.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  8. Mitch

Your diet looks to be improving, maybe reduce the coke next :)

9. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

They didnt have sugar free iron Bru. :p Changed it to sugar free mainly for obvious reasons.

10. Mitch

A good start then, maybe continue by swapping out one of those for water.

Knee Rider likes this.
  11. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

16/10/17

Breakfast: Prawn cocktail (from tesco's)

Exercise: did patterns at minimum three times for each side
    for the warmup i put actual squats instead of more stretchy ones.
    I also tried to block and side step punch usuing my punching bag ontop of just combinations and striking it.

Tea: Cant remember but it was soemthing home cooked.

Most i can remember is potatoe waffles and beans.

12. SCA

SCA Former Instructor

You may want to look into trying ginkgo biloba.

13. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

You will have to fill me in on what that is.

edit: for future refrence, i cant swallow pills or tablets. so if its only available in that format i cant take it, in context of this though i found a liqud sub.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Are you in Scotland?

15. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

:eek:
    No, why would you think that in the slightest?

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Because He is and he is trying to help

Dead_pool likes this.
  17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

How can you eat a 100 tic tac's, but not a single tablet of a similar size?

Simon likes this.
  18. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

You chew tic taks. (well i do) My question is now, how do you eat them? XP

19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You can chew most tablets, unless they've an enteric coating, or they're in a prolonged release formula, both of which means you wouldn't be able to get liquid formulations, so if you can get a liquid formulation, you generally can also chew it.

Also the majority of food people swallow come in larger boluses then tablet size, many people who claim they can't swallow tablets, can, it's just a carry over from when they were a child, and everything was bigger relative to their size.

20. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You said you wanted Irn Bru :p

Shame though. You're more than welcome to come train with me sometime.

Simon, Rataca100 and Dead_pool like this.