The Power of Chi

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Melanie, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

This subject has recently come to my attention after being offered the opportunity to visit a Chi Expert in September.

I am definately going to attend as I think it may well be worth the experience and I would like the opportunity to make up my own mind about this area. However, I am having trouble finding any really in-depth or useful information about this on the 'net' or in the library. I was wondering if anyone on this forum may have some reference for me to look at or if possible first hand experience to impart.

Look forward to hearing more

2. Pablo

Pablo New Member

Try searching under Qi, or Qigong, or Taoist cultivation methods.

Also the online journal at :

http://www.qi-journal.com may have some useful links and articles.

paul

3. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Mel,
    There is a great book out that works with breathing, meditation, and qi. Im reading it for the third time and i learn more every time through.
    The Secrets of Superior Strength - Iron Body Ninja BY: Ashida Kim

check it out. Its a great book

-Chazz

4. khafra

khafra New Member

Mantak Chia has also written some excellent books on the subject of qigong, and specializations within it such as iron shirt. If you're looking for martial applications of chi, try kyusho; I think there's still a forum on it around somewhere.

5. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

I think you will enjoy the visit. I love learning about Qi. I just find it interesting on how it can be uesd to heal as well as hurt (Demok)

-Chazz

6. Feiloong

Feiloong New Member

Melanie,
    To get a very good understanding about Chi and Chi Kung, read the many books by dr Yang Zwing Ming www.ymaa.com on this subject. Also read a book by (I think it was written by) Leong Ting called skills of the vagabond, which clears up all those myths about chi. This would put you on the right track to have a better, researched understandign about chi kung.

There are many people who over complicate the topic and who tries to mystify it. Its not merely as complicated and XFilish as people makes it out to be. I posted a reply to someone elses quesiton in the tai chi forum. You can also read that.

Chazz, I very much doubt that chi actually have allot to do with dim mak. I do not know much about the subject, but I can imagine it as more to do with striking vital points like nerve endings and weak spots on the body. I for one (after being taught how to do all those funny chi kung tricks often seen at the shaolin monks performances) do not at all believe in 'mysterious chi"
    only my opinion. good topic

7. Melanie

Thanks everyone.

I shall be hitting the local library this weekend and seeing what they have in. I recently brought this topic up with my Sensei, he seems to think that some 'chi' is suggestive, almost hypnotic. Feiloong, you seem to be the most doubtful so far about this subject. Is this reason given by my Sensei one of the reasons you doubt this? Have you ever tried to gage and use your 'chi'?

Melanie

8. Feiloong

Feiloong New Member

Melanie,
    I practice Kung Fu and Chi kung on a daily basis. I am not at all doubtfull on the effects and advantages of chi / chikung (please read my reply to a member in the tai chi section), I was merely trying to point you to an informed view, taking away the mystism and hocus pocus often associated with kung fu and chi.

I am the first to encourage anyone to balance external and internal practice, and as I say, I do encourage chi kung practice. I just think it is important to clear the mysterious, before enaging into something like this, which is clearly very scientifical.

If you get to read those books by dr Yang, you will have a better understanding of Chi. I found Mantac's books to be slightly more based on his religious objections, and less so to science as Dr Yangs books (although Mataks books are pretty informative).

May I ask, who is the Chi Kung Master whom you are planning to visit?

9. Melanie

Yamaue Soke is visiting a dojo in Scotland in September this year. I'm not sure if its an open event but will obviously find out if your interested.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression Feiloong, just curious about this subject. I have not seen this in 'action' so to speak as yet, so i guess this makes me the skeptic! :)

Is is hard to master? Some one said to me once that when you do you can hold your 'chi' in your hands and manipulate it to cause and effect.

I will get those books out you suggested - in a bid to question you about them next week! :D

Thanks for your help

Melanie

10. Feiloong

Feiloong New Member

Melanie,
    "Is is hard to master? Some one said to me once that when you do you can hold your 'chi' in your hands and manipulate it to cause and effect. "

Nothing is hard to master. Its all about efford and and mind set, and how hard you are willing to practice. As for holding chi in your hands, I am not to sure about that. I have seen on some old sci fi movies where people were able to shoot fireballs from their palms, but I dont know if that was chi. Think it was more something like "fire palm" :) :woo:

"I will get those books out you suggested - in a bid to question you about them next week! "

You wont be sorry.

Chi kung has no short cuts or immediate effects. It is a long process of constand training.

11. Tseek Choi

Tseek Choi Banned Banned

Mel,
    Try reading something like "The Way of Energy" by Lam Kam Cheun.
    He gives a nice insight to chi kung training.
    Follow his book, and you won't be disappointed

To me chi is the essence of life itself.
    It is the very energy within matter. Some might say it is electrical energy, this is true to some extent. But it is much more.
    It is in the air all around you.
    When you take a deep breath on a cold clear morning you can feel your body vitalised. This is Chi being drawn into you.

When you stand in a position like "embracing a tree" you can feel the Chi flowing through your body & limbs. Being drawn from the ground beneath you and from your suroundings.

When you strike you can focus your Chi to the part of the body you are using by your "Yi" (mind).
    This process is controlled by your Spirit "Shen".
    To produce power "Jing".

Without correct Chi development within martial art, a student can never reach their full potential.

I know little about how most Japanese practice Chi kung, but I used to train many years ago with Kanasawa in Shotokan, and he at the time was studying TaiJiQuan to develop his Chi.

Good luck!
    Just stay away from anyone that claim to be able to knock people over from several feet away. ie Richard Mooney! They are frauds!!

TC............

12. Pablo

Pablo New Member

I am disappointed that a forum that has done such a good job of providing a fair representation of various ways of practicing the martial arts until now, would suddenly turn into a name calling forum. If you have a personal beef with Rich Mooney, why don't you take it up with him directly, instead of calling him a fraud behind his back?

Thank you

paul

13. Melanie

My apologies Pablo, this was not picked up earlier. I fortunately know of Rich Mooney and have developed my own opinions of him.

Melanie

14. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

And I'll say... not a thing. I've experience to many 'weird' things to be dismissive of chi/ki, but in my personal experience its just a case of applying the correct body mechanics (or biomechanics as its been called).

And, I believe that Dim mak/Dimak/Demok is essentially attacking weak/vital/pressure points with the aim of latter learning to then develop your chi/ki/Qi to channel it into these 'simple' attacks/defences to create devastating results.

Thanx

15. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

My experiences with chi are as varied as freeforms.....one even involved a belly dancer.

It does exist..in what form i don't know.

lets hear some stories.......

Last edited: Apr 4, 2002
  16. Tseek Choi

Tseek Choi Banned Banned

Sorry pablo, if you are a Mooney cult member.
    I have taken this matter up with Richard personally, as have many others.

Chi and it's development is a vast and wonderful area of research, but as with so many things you get people who take advantage of gullible people,
    and feed their inflated ego's with fantasy.

Chi is real, this has not being disputed by me.

Sifu Richard Mooney has many genuine martial skills, this is also not disputed by me.

But he has been asked to prove his Li kong jin power in a scientific experiment many times, and has always failed to produce any results.

Much like the spoon bender Uri Geller, who was proven to be a fake on public television, yet people still believe he has "special" powers.

I do not want to get into a discussion here about this, I was purely saying to be careful of charlatans. If you believe in Richard Mooneys magic then good luck to you!

Instead of talking about this rubbish we should be discussing all the benefits that practicing chi kung, and the development of chi can bring to us in terms of health & martial skill.

TC.............

17. Pablo

Pablo New Member

If you have anything of substance to back up your implication that I am a cult member, I would love to hear it.
    Since I am pretty sure that you do not, I would also love for you to share something a little more useful.
    A discussion of the meaning of the old Qi radicals versus the newer ones might be a good place to start. I tend to lean towards the pressure side myself, and wonder if you would care to share an explanation of how the iliopsoas relates to that concept.
    You know, the banners and flags from the Classics, and all that?

Looking forward to having your input.

paul

18. Feiloong

Feiloong New Member

Gees,
    this is beginning to look like KFO. Thought I'd came here to get away from the politics.

Dudes... Chill. Its only a forum

19. Melanie

Thank you Feiloong - well put.

Melanie

20. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

We are here to discuss and share ideas and knowledge so lets keep it that way. If you have an opinion on something then by all means express it, but lets do it in an informed and intelligent manner.

Cooler.