The Pgb White Crane Silat School

Discussion in 'Silat' started by sharp KILL, Apr 12, 2005.

1. sharp KILL

sharp KILL New Member

2. SilatSeeker

SilatSeeker Valued Member

They obviously train hard and are dedicated to their art. I can't comment on the effectiveness of it.

What is interesting is that compared to the Silat systems I'm familiar with this looks far more influenced by chinese arts than most. But that is just my experience with Cimande and what I've seen of Serak. At first glance it didn't look "silat-like" to me. But, what's silat and who defines it? I'm no-one to say what does and doesn't fall under the silat banner.

I've seen the members of this school post on other forums. They seem friendly and responsive. Why don't you shoot them an email or reply on one of the forums they frequent and see if they can answer questions you have directly?

Here is the video clips link to their New York school. Plenty of forms and training clips here for you to form more judgement for yourself..

http://homepage.mac.com/silatnyc/web_pages/photovideo.html

3. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

In Cimande Silat, we cover a Crane Sylabus, it is very effective and deceptively fast. I do not know this school or instructor, so cannot comment on them, crane silat would be effective, but I cannot like a school who advertise Silat as "Indonesian Kung-Fu"

4. sharp KILL

sharp KILL New Member

SilatSeeker : THANK YOU MY FRIEND :D

ITHINK ITS A MIXURE OF SILAT AND SHAOLIN KUNG FU ...
    IDONT KNOW , CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG ... :cool:
    NO COMMENT YET ILL WRITE ABOUT IT SOON ( ITHINK ??) :D

I WANTED TO SEE IF THERES ANY ONE HERE ...

SilatPupil : THANKS ALOT :D
    YOU HAVE A GOOD POINT HERE WHICH SUPPOTS WHAT I SAID BEFORE THAT ITS A COMBINATION BETTWEEN SILAT AND SHOLIN KUNG FU , ALTHOUGH IT STILL KNOWEN AS SILAT ...

5. SilatSeeker

SilatSeeker Valued Member

Cimande Based Vid Clips

Here are some Cimande based moves on video so you can see a comparison. The instructor is Art Rhemrev. Were working on getting his site up - by the time your in your mid 70's you deserve your own website! :)

But, until it's working, I'll leave these clips up a day or two.

http://homepage.mac.com/robertstover/thumbjitsu/

Enjoy.

Oh, I'd love to get feedback from the board here on what you think should be included on the website we're creating. The design is still loose, so I'd love to hear what you silat lovers would like to see online...

Thanks in advance...

6. Kiai Carita

Kiai Carita Banned Banned

Dear Sharp Kill, I happen to come from Indonesia and have a little experience of the PGB Bangau Putih family. The school is based on Chinese traditions plus several other Indonesian systems as well. Being located in Bogor in West Java the school was aware of and in dialogue with other martial systems in the region. You can look up the schools website and read through the history of the founder and you will find the Indonesian schools that influenced PGB.

PGB was also one of the first silat schools in Indonesia that taught outside the family and was not racially discriminating. Suhu also was a leader in the Indonesian war of Independence against the Dutch 1945-1949.

That is why the some PGB websites advertise as Indonesian kung fu. The silat taught by PGB is kung fu plus several Indonesian systems integrated in it. It is a very good school with very dedicated trainers and the school also does alot of charity work in Indonesia. The present Grandmaster, Suhu Gunawan Raharja, dedicates a lot of time to healing the sick.

Salam silat.