The only rule to self defence?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Tittan, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Tittan

Tittan Valued Member

Yesterday I had an eye-opening FMA class. Our Punong Guro, Jeff Espinous, held a lession about self-defence and he told us that there really is only one rule.

"You walk there - and you walk away again." Whatever happens between walking there and walking away is not that important.
    Also he told us that "playing the silly person" is a great way to dodge a fight. Not the agressive silly person, mind, but the guy who is a total idiot, the one who always step on somebodys toe and then apologizes - and gets away with it.

He spread quite a lot of his thoughts and ideas. I also liked the following statement: "Where the nuts go, the men follow." Get close and use a downward punch to the groin - it's a showstopper!

Ah - I've got to many ideas and thoughts in my head - I can't list them all here, but I'll be happy to discuss "the only rule" with you guys...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2004
  2. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

true. It's about trying to diffuse the situation before the fists fly.

It's been said so many times before, but the best type of fight is the one that doesn't happen.

As an aside: A 40+ year old guy who grew up in Easterhouse in Glasgow (v.nasty bit in the East end) and worked in the Govan shipyards (when there were any) had this method:

Grab the nuts squeeze and lift to shoulder height. Drop. Kick until guy stops.

Did I say he was a right nasty Scot? :eek:

3. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

One of "my" rules is whatever it takes for me to go home at the end of my shift..

4. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

nuff said...
    -TkdWarrior-

5. SenseLess

SenseLess Young and Eager to Learn

i would assume in self-defence that the situation is already into the violent stage cos if its not in that stage it wont actually be defence? In that case i would say
    -strike first, strike hard and strike fast

6. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

My rule is dont wait to be hit first, if in doubt strike, worry about it later. Better safe than sorry.

7. UlTi

UlTi Valued Member

the only rule in self-defence is ... There are no rules

8. Tittan

Tittan Valued Member

We learnt another rule yesterday that I think it's important to share:

The bigger the knife, the faster you run!

;)

9. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

This is a very good point indeed. Before I joined the military, I always pictured myself as an "honorable" fighter. Honorable meaning that I wouldn't hit the groin, strike the eyes, break fingers, etc...

Then the "popcorn" sounds began. Firearms don't sound the way you'd think they would.

Back on topic...the truth of self-defense is that whoever is crueller is more likely to win. Sounds coarse, but most muggers/rapists/terrorists don't give a damn about your life or the life of those you care about. Without hesitating, they will bite off chunks of your face if it means they can get what they want. They fight by rules that wild animals live by.

How do we fight such maniacs? How do we defend the lives of our wives/children/girlfriends/parents? We have to be willing to do WORSE to them than what they will do to us.

May you achieve
    Satori

10. Tittan

Tittan Valued Member

AND we have to decide before the fight - if you have to decide during the fight it will be to late. The cemetary is full of honest fighters - it pains me to say so, but it's true. In a real street situation you find darwinism at its worst. Survival of the fittest.

Jeff also told us to decide: Will you be the sado or the masokist (sp?) - if you decide for the masokist you should download movies trough the internet and only drive to the local supermarket once in a while for groceries - because the day someone tries to mug you, you will die...
    If you on the other hand decide to be the sado - you will be able to live your life and to walk proud... And if you end up in the cell after a fight you, can at least smile because you know you did good out there...

This is off course very black and white, but such is fighting for survival - there is no grey...

11. KungFuGirl

KungFuGirl Valued Member

Yeah but how would you just reach out and grab some guys nuts?

I don't think they would let you do that.

I mean isn't a guys first impulse to protect his groin?

:confused:

12. Tittan

Tittan Valued Member

Lick your finger and stick it into the guys eye - then you throw a downward punch to his groin. Where the nuts go, the guy follow :woo:

13. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

It was a method as touted by this guy who grew up in Easterhouse in Glasgow (one of the rougher areas especially 20 years ago). This guy would have no problem. He was a psycho. You'd have to KO him almost immediately, or you'd be toast. His method was to act first and just keep acting until the other guy didn't. He was a right nasty cherub.

I wouldn't necessarily try it.

came across this interesting article on the subject of SD.
    http://ejmas.com/jnc/jncart_davis_0900.htm

14. KungFuGirl

KungFuGirl Valued Member

Um, dare I ask, why would I lick my finger?

Also, if I'm being attacked, I don't think I would lick my finger. That's just strange and there's no way I'd actually do that if i was scared.

:Alien:

15. Tittan

Tittan Valued Member

Because a wet finger to the eye messes up the vision much more than a dry finger would do, and just because it is strange and nobody expect it.

You could lick both your index and your middle finger and aim for both the eyes ;)

And remember, if you're lucky you will make a lens pop out...

16. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

For a scared female licking the finger would not be practical, now spitting in the eye / face is.

17. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Why does a wet finger mess up the vision more? As soon as anything touches the eye, it starts to water whether dry or not. if anything the salt on fingers from sweat would create more watering of the eye that spit.

As for the rules in a self defence situation, i'd say

1. avoid the fight at all costs.
    2. if its impossible to avoid, then dont lose, no one wins in a self defence situation.

18. ClumsyFoot

ClumsyFoot ITA - Intnl. TKD Alliance

To quote Tom Givens, noted combat mindset guru and firearms training expert:
    1: Stay alive
    2: Stay out of jail
    3: Stay out of the poorhouse (when the bad guy sues you)

19. pest

pest Occasional Poster

I think what Titan was getting at was to smear someones glasses ;)

20. Tittan

Tittan Valued Member

No, what I was getting at was bad English :p (I'm not a native to English, sorry.)

Why you should lick your finger prior to sticking it into someones eye is because it's disgusting. (I had misunderstood my instructor when he explained this in his French-English, and being a Norwegian myself and semi-deaf :rolleyes: I just didn't hear everything he said...) If you stick a finger you just licked into my eye, I'd start worrying if you have any diseases etc, and I guess I wouldn't be to keen on attacking you any more.