The One Inch Punch isnt a gimmick or a myth

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MagikMike05, Jun 22, 2006.

1. James R

James R New Member

Not a theory, can do.

You can fa jin from any position (talking stand up), so long as the body mechanics are right (this is connection, not position related). How you open and close is what needs to change to compensate for position.

You can fa jin on the ground, but it is not so easy to focus - you don't have the rifle butt against your, if you get the metaphor.

Regards

J

PS - Talking about fa jin here rather that 1 inch punch per se - the application is more versatile through the open hand.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  2. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Right, OK. I was trying to figure out how a one-inch punch would work on the ground, since you said "it works very well at grappling range, and is a total shock to most grapplers" - I was thinking "How the hell will a one-inch punch work from someone's guard? That's just gonna get you armbarred" :D
    So is the fa jin when you throw the punch with the arm semi-relaxed and then fully clench the fist and tense on impact?

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

If I'm not mistaken, Fa Jin, Jing, and Ging all refer to the same thing . . . .

Ging power is the power you gain when your body adapts to a motion you have practiced over and over again. It generally refers to Kung Fu styles.

James, the context that you are using fa-jing in is incorrect. You are referring to a specific type of power generation. Fa-jing would refer to the relaxed power you gain by practicing that specific type of power generation over and over again.

4. Yohan

See my previous post. It would be possible to gain fa jin in the manner you have described, however, the fa jin comes from repetitive, proper practice, and is not tied to a specific method.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Quite welcome sir. :)

6. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Jing is often misused by even fluent Chinese speakers. It's often confused with Li or external power as they both kind of mean power. It's like English speakers who use me instead of I or who instead of whom. Correctly used jing is written by combining the li and chi characters and litteraly means combined internal and external power. There are many different jing patterns for different types of strikes. Often you can generate jing inside your core but you may not do it well enough to release it through your strikes. Fa jing means emitting jing, releasing it from your body or transfering it into an object you strike.

7. Yohan

Thanks for the further clarification on the terms 19th.

8. MagikMike05

MagikMike05 New Member

Everytime kicking with the shin or instep is brought up immediately its, "Have you ever been kicked by a muay thai kicker?" we dont primarily kick with the instep or the ball, it doesnt say anything about muay thai or the way they kick, not everyone kicks like muay thai, doesnt mean there wrong.

The one inch punches body mechanics of making a lot of force, with minimal space, and use of body mechanics, is how jeet kune do's power and speed is achieved. A lot of Jeet Kune Do, as you probably know, is derrived from Wing Chun, which is a style of kung fu thats very close quarters, so for many of the techniques, if not all the striking techniques up close, not the One Inch Punch is used, but the one inch punch is kind of the princible of wing chun close range trapping and counter punching. Not saying that we run around trying to one inch punch people, the distance game for JKD is fencing/western boxing.

And lastly, yes for someone who practices Wing Chun or JKD, understanding this concepts of body physics is exciting to me, and trying to master is not only is fun, but its interesting, and "exciting". I can see as a muay thai person how they dont incorporate those techniques how you would not be "excited" as you say. And no, I never said we run around trying to one inch punch people, its the princible behind the one inch punch thats applied to the practice.

9. MagikMike05

MagikMike05 New Member

For the people confused, I read a post earlier, about how you couldnt use the one inch punch because you'd have to get within an inch of them.

Well Wing Chun, Jeet Kune Do, and some other close range Gung Fu's, specialize in fighting about a foot infront of you. where your very up in there face and it relies are arm sensitivity to trap, speed, and the principle behind the one inch punch. But keep in mind Wing Chun etc, they are all about close close range fighting, the way they are in such close range, is why wing chun and jkd, punch and kick, like no other martial art. not saying its "better", but its very different.

10. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

I seem to remember that what got people up in arms in that thread a while ago was not when you said that kicking with the instep was good, but rather that kicking with the shin was inferior. In which case, people asking if you have been on the recieving end of a good practitionner of kicking with the shin (Muay Thai practionners being high profile examples) is a very legitimate question.

Most people are not that excited about the one-inch punch because:
    1. it is fairly common knowledge (most martial artists on this forum already know it exist)
    2. it is not relevant for everyone (Chinese Martial Artists aside, not many people care to learn something that requires years of practice before it even have minimal use in a fight)
    3. there are many just as impressive things to be learned in about every martial art

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Let's get one thing straight chief. I never said that the other methods were wrong. I spent half a decade in taekwondo and still kick with my instep more often than not. What I suggested is that you adhere to one of the most basic principles of your chosen style. Research through experience. If you're going to formulate an opinion of the muay thai round kick, base it on experience instead of what theoretically stands to reason. You have to get into the lab to experiment. I did when I was into JKD. And what I learned is that the muay thai kick hurts like hell.

Fair answer. Thanks for expanding on it.

Again, good answer. I'm not an unreasonable guy Mike. I may call you on things. But usually I'm more than happy to admit it when you're on to something. Fair enough?

Stuart

12. James R

James R New Member

Yo Yohan

I'm not sure of the distinction you are making :( . I am talking about the particular skill of emitting effective relaxed power over short distances using appropriate applied body mechanics. To me this is fa jin (this may be the right or wrong definition to you).

Sever

There is no "tensing" as such, just intention creating appropriate structure.

Cheers guys

J

13. Captain Karate

Captain Karate New Member

Here's a vid of the one inch punch, where the recipient is not in a neutral stance, but actually is in a forward stance of some type.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7wDsaMsypk"]Wing Chun Kung Fu Force Generation (AWESOME!) - YouTube[/ame]

The one inch punch does have fighting application, but we don't actually make a plan of it. It's all about body mechanics, and structure. The point is you don't need to pull back or have a long windup to build power. It's also not meant to push people back all that much, it's just it's done that way for show, so in that sense it is a gimmick.

14. MagikMike05

MagikMike05 New Member

First off, if you refer back to that other post, the Muay Thai experts, were telling me the one inch punch was a gimmick, especially in the chat we were in that transpired after.

Second, I never put down the Muay Thai kick, I really dont know how you guys get so defensive about it. I said in that post a long time ago, that I thought the side thrust kick was more effecient. I said multiple times in the other post that I'm sure a muay thai kick hurts like hell, i watch muay thai everynight on ESPN Classic from 12-130am, they have classic boxing, then kickboxing featuring muay thai usually.

with your 1,2,3, thing, I really dont get where your coming from.

1. I was talking about my experience getting one inch punched, after being told it was a gimmick, i was just sharing my experience, i wasnt trying to broaden your horizons.

2. I never said you should care, and I never said it applied to you. Thats like me saying round house kicks to the head I dont care about because it doesnt apply to me. I dont go find your posts and tell you why I dont care about what you posted, if it doesnt apply to you, dont respond to me. And lastly it doesnt take years of practice to use it in a fight, to use the muay thai medicine, take wing chun for a little while and you'll catch on to what there going for, use "experience" instead of your hypothesis.

3. When did I ever say there arent impressive things in other martial arts?

Sorry if somehow my original post bothered you. But theres really nothing to get defensive about. Muay Thai kicks are great, i never said they werent, i have my own opinion im not remotely trying to force on anyone.

15. MagikMike05

MagikMike05 New Member

>_<.....
    I dont dislike muay thai kicks, I was just referencing why I was posting because about 5 muay thai experts here told me the one inch punch was a gimmick and that its never been done outside a demonstration. this post is about my experienced being one inch punched, and my ignorance in asking my instructor if it was actually effective or just a gimmick. i think using the word "gimmick" really ****ed my instructor off. I've never taken muay thai, i like muay thai, certain branches of JKD incorporate muay thai, just not where i go. where i go they dont teach muay thai kicks. fencing, boxing, wing chun.

16. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

So wait... Some MT people a few months back told you that the inch punch is a gimmick because it only seems to be performed succesfully in demonstrations then to counter this you went and asked your sifu who then DEMONSTRATED it on you and you think this counters their point?!?

I've taken Wing Chun before and I never experienced an effective inch punch outside of a demonstration. People used the concept of short, non retracted blows effectively outside of pre arranged demonstrations but the inch punch itself Im afraid to say in my experience is indeed a technique thats primary function seems to be to make people go oooooohhhhh during demonstrations and to help them realise that you don't have to recoil your fists to generate power. It's a highly artificial technique to demonstrate a useful principle.

17. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

THe one inch punch is no gimmick, it simply isn't magic. Powerful and explosive body mechanics, thats all it is.

18. MagikMike05

MagikMike05 New Member

what was a supposed to do fight him? i said in my last posts, that WE DONT GO AROUND TRYING TO ONE INCH PUNCH PEOPLE, and that its the concept behind the punch, are you even reading what I wrote? I didnt say anything counters there point, they said the one inch punch didnt work, and its a gimmick, and thats it. read what a wrote before you decide to flame me, you basically *angrily* agreeing with me.

19. Spainey

Spainey New Member

Well, having just read through this thread, firstly it seems that some people seem to think that gimmick means it involves some sort of magic, this is not the true meaning of gimmick, go use the google dictionary. :p

Secondly, I will not refer to one inch punches any more that's just silly as it might not be exaclty one inch... Instead I will refer to short range punches.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but I definitely have been in situations when sparring when someone has blocked me, but left my arm in a position where I would have been able to use a short range punch to cause some real damage, unfortunately I have never put in enough practise to be able to do one very well, but the point I'm trying to make is that situations where short range punches are useful do arise in sparring.

It's not like I'm even that good, I've only been into martial arts for almost a year, but still I could tell that a short range punch would have been perfect for that situation and this shows that even though it is a high skill technique it has a low skill applcation at the very least.

The other point I'd like to make is that the ability to generate serious power in short distances is an advantage and in a fight every little advantage counts, hence why the arts developed it.

Even if we decide that short range punches themselves are useless (which they aren't), then the short range punch is a good way of practising this technique, essentially an exercise to practise short range power generation.

Now as I see it Katas are exercises for practising techniques to provide an advantage in a fight, we don't all go knocking them because they have no real fight use, now do we?

Also feel free to rip this apart, I'm always willing to learn new things. :)

20. DRMA

DRMA Valued Member

A good way to describe the power generation of the one inch punch is like a piece of string tied to something. If the string has slack you can pull the string and wham. The end of the attached string has always been attached put the distance is gained through the slackness of the string. The one inch punch uses those kind of body mechanics and it is why you must be relaxed like the string and you gain distance through certain body movements that are connected in a certain way and wham the same kind of result.

With this annology you can see that it would be very usefull to generate power this way in Muay Thai especially with something like the clinch. It is a very good way to put the opponent off balance. As it is much harder to counter sudden bursts of power impact against you than just brute force shoving you about.

Those demonstrations that Captain Karate posted seemed a little artificial though and are not a good representation of the technique although most likely it was presented that way for the wow effect.