The Nice Goth Thread?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by David, Dec 16, 2005.

1. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

I can't believe I missed out on two goth threads! This is me coming out of the closet as an ex-goth :). To this day, I find it impossible to wear bright colours and most of my stuff is black (well, faded to grey: fashion's a thing that other people have). I remember being gutted when I had to cut my nails off to get a job in computers. That was the end for me; a year later I stopped dying my hair. My studs and stuff are all tarnished/rusty. Sigh...

My goth years were such fun. I feel all warm inside when I think back on it. If the thread stays open long enough, I'll dig out some old photos to post:D.

I've got some young goth friends who've never heard of the Sisters of Mercy or Bauhaus. Weird...

Who else has been there, or is there?

Blessed Be, mmkay?
    David

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I think there may have been a reason for the previous threads being locked, so its not wise to start a new thread on the subject ;)

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

The previous threads were to do with a specific member and religion, so long as neither of these are brought up and the ex-goths just want to reminisce then that's fine.

A few of my friends are former goths (and a few still are) I'd be interested in hearing a few tales.

4. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I've got a good few Goth friends, heres a picture of a bat, I know they like that sort of thing! :D

[​IMG]

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I'm not sure what the scene was like when you guys were growing up but there were quite a few good bands in the so. cal scene at the time when I was younger... I'll post some pics and see if anyone else remembers some of these bands.

Here's one that's classic

Attached Files:

6. slipthejab

Here's another that I just about wore out on back in the days before CD's and MP3's.... jeez....

Attached Files:

7. slipthejab

There was crossover with a lot of other genre's at the time as well... punk, some hardcore thrown in for good measure... and of course the sillyness of neo-romantic. :D

Attached Files:

8. slipthejab

And anyone in the goth/punk scene had either put the lead singer of Christian Death up for a night or two or been ripped off by him... or both... :D

Attached Files:

9. slipthejab

And while not strictly Goth (if there is such a thing) this band was pretty much on of my all time favorites... and much of the stuff was very hard to get in the US on vinyl for many years.... :)

Those of you who know the band (Joy Division for those who don't recognize the album cover) sans Ian Curtis (RIP) as New Order. :eek:

Attached Files:

10. slipthejab

and one of the bands that rocked was Southern Death Cult... who after the first one or two albums became known simply as The Cult

Attached Files:

• SDC.jpg
      SDC.jpg
      File size:
      12.6 KB
      Views:
  11. slipthejab

and if you grew up on goth surely you've caught a show or played some Death In June at some point. :D

Attached Files:

12. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Slip, you have entirely too much time on your hands. :D

13. slipthejab

many younger people will probably have not heard of Bauhaus but anyone who grew up in the 80's scene will recognize this album cover:

Attached Files:

14. slipthejab

LOL!:D

Naw I need a break... I've spent the last several days shooting the WTO riots with the Korean Farmers here in Hong Kong... life was so much easier when I could get lost in my music. :D

ahh... that stumble down memory lane!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2005
  15. fugepilot

fugepilot New Member

Sisters of Mercy...mmm, I remember them. They did some good stuff. :)
    Keep em comming slip. :D

16. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

So I've go to take me old mate slip off my ignore list to read my own thread?

17. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

He's just posting lots of album covers right now :)

18. slipthejab

For once you'd actually enjoy what I've posted. :D

19. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

i can't help it, it just reminds me too much of art classes at the university, where apparently you are incapable of being creative if you don't look like Betty Paige. And while I admit, she was pretty, I just can't pull off the straight bangs. :p

Goth is just a counter culture movement which most people grow out of before they hit thirty. It has nothing to do with intelligence or creativity and everything to do with finding a "group". The music, some at least, I liked.

20. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I don't know if I was a goth - I listened to some of the sisters of mercy, bauhaus, but was more into nine inch nails, tool, korn, stuff like that.

Maybe I was just the next generation up from you guys? I did the same things - wore all black with big boots. Long hair, painted my fingernails black or wore makeup whenever there was a hot chick who wanted to put it on me. I was constantly depressed and talked about suicide and death. Hey, it's just another uniform. Some other people wore polo shirts and talked about football. I wore black and talked about death. Some people drove fast cars. I carved my arms up a little bit.

I had a blast with it though, and it hasnt hurt me in the long run (except for a bunch of nasty scars on my arms).