The next generation Soke of Ninjutsu a Westerner?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by StingKing, Jan 2, 2008.

1. StingKing

StingKing Valued Member

So it was said in another thread, Hatsumi isn't going to be there for ever. Having seen recent vid of Human Weapon, most of his students and top students are Westerners.

Would this mean there's a high chance of the next official Soke of Ninjutsu being a Westerner? What do you think about this?

2. Dale Seago

Dale Seago Matthew 7:6

What makes you think there will be a "next Soke"? He just turned 76 by our reckoning and hasn't shown any signs of designating a successor yet.

Some years ago at a Tai Kai in Georgia he had a post-training question/answer session. Some idiot persisted in asking various questions along the line of "What do you see as the future of the Bujinkan?"

Instead of answering directly, he called all of the 10th+ dan present onto the stage and had us introduce ourselves.

He then said, "They will answer your questions" and walked out of the room, leaving us to field questions for the next hour or so.

That, I feel, was his answer.

3. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

It is considered bad form to discuss this, as I seem to remember from similar questions on other forums.

I know we're not Japanese but we are part of something that is, and should act accordingly.

I personally am more worried about getting to train at one of Soke's Hombu sessions before something before one of us shuffles off this mortal coil rather than who will be his successor.

Gotta pay off the credit cards before the missus will let me go to Japan though!

4. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

It's a simple enough question though. Surely he has paid some thought to who will succeed him? Perhaps he hasnt said yet who, but this is just a thread for speculating :D

5. JoshNYC

JoshNYC Valued Member

In order to better yourself and the world...

If there is a next soke of the Nine Traditions(which I think there will be) all that matters is that the soke can carry the responsibilities that such a transmission holds... The ethnicity, religious background, sex (and sexual preferences) of a future soke should not matter. The qualities of the next soke of the Nine traditions will of course include an incredible aptitude for the physical side of Budo but also should embody the five guiding principles of the essence of Budo and Ninjutsu:

Here is a quote form Hatsumi Soke's Japanese Sword Fighting Book (Kodansha International 2005)that I believe sheds light on the qualities to be found in the future (and present) Soke of the Nine Schools: page 22

"Memories of the time I was taught Budo of the nine schools by Takamatsu Sensei are like flashes of a dream that appear as profound images of transmission or mist. This is the transmission of old soke (head of school) to new soke; that transition of teacher to student. That path could also be called the path of truth in nature. Masters and experts appear to shine like glittering starts. However, the path of the sword saints, like the passing of days from sun to moon, shows its color to both master and student. That color appears in five shades, which correspond to the fiver guiding principles of the essence of Budo and Ninjutsu:

1. Learn first that whatever hardship you may have to endure is but temporary.

2. Always behave correctly.

3. Do not fall prey to avarice, indulgence, or egoism.

4. Sorrow and hate are both part of life; understand that they too are gifts from gods.

5. Never stray from the path of faith nor from that of martial arts. Aspire in the ways of both pen and sword."

IMHO those are some very hard principles to embody in every moment of ones life... if you are interested in who will be the next soke, don't look at the persons skin color or passport but look for these traits embodied. Or better yet, don't look at all and just try to embody these principles yourself, as best you can... not for the sake of earning a title with immense responsibilities... but in order to better yourself and the world...

6. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

As Bujinkan students it would be bad form for us to discuss it. I suppose though it depends on how many Bujinkan students are worried about being seen discussing things which are inappropriate.....

7. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

It's not like it doesn't get discussed behind closed doors anyway!

8. bdstexas

bdstexas Valued Member

In a perfect world? I take it you are not too familiar with Japanese traditions.

9. JoshNYC

JoshNYC Valued Member

A beautiful blessing and a natural process..."The way of Bushi is found in death."

It does not have to be a thread for speculation... and for others try to make positive out of what it negative(speculation) and don't feel disrespected or disrespectful.

The transmission of a tradition from one generation to the next is a beautiful blessing and a natural process. I hope that there is someone worthy of the transmission of the Nine School. What would be sad is for there to never be a next generation... If none of us are strong enough to carry the transmission of the nine schools, it will die, and such an occurrence would embody: "The way of Bushi is found in death." This life and death duality, the future unknown of this living transmission, should be accepted as such, without fear and with acceptance. Sadness is a part of life...

Remember this if we are lucky enough to have a future soke. Remember the time when the future could have been death and sadness.... If we are lucky, thank the gods[Kami][God] for their[his/her] kindness in blessing the Nine Traditions with a future soke, whoever he/she may be.

10. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

Basically if you trust our current Soke you will trust whatever his decision is, and as long as it isn't Richard Van Donk I don't think there'll be too much controversy.

11. shadow_ronin

shadow_ronin Banned Banned

It doesn't and it shouldn't be on a forum either.

Bad form.

12. Victoria

How naive are you :rolleyes:

I seriously doubt you're in the position to speak for every Bujinkan member. I can assure you this is talked about.

13. JoshNYC

JoshNYC Valued Member

Go deeper and aim higher in everything you do

If I seem ignorant then please teach me... Teach me what is important and possible to teach on an internet forum...

Was the concept of the warrior heart being a benevolent heart (or a similar concept) never passed on in the tradition that you claim to study (Shinkage Ryu). Are there concepts that when viewed from a changed world, not that of the Sengoku period of Japan (in which Shinkage Ryu was born), are applicable to making the world a better place? Is your perspective on Shinkage Ryu, embodied by secrets, and things that make you different and special from the "masses"?

(and to everyone)Do the students of your school or dojo practice an art which helps those people around them,(and the world) or do you practice your art in a way that only helps yourselves? Would the posts you make on this board honor your teacher? Could you show him/her your words and feel that you are representing him and his tradition well?

The world will never be perfect, but each of us has the opportunity to move the world closer to perfection by embodying the Benevolent Heart of the warrior. I ask everyone here who reads this post, are your actions (internet posts included), and the way you treat people and society (including the society of this BBS) such that you are making the world a better place?

(I will repost these questions as a starting thread, because I believe they are an important question for those posting on the topic of Ninjutsu) Thank you Bryan for pushing me to ask these questions...

"Go deeper and aim higher in everything you do."

14. shadow_ronin

shadow_ronin Banned Banned

I speak for myself only.

15. Victoria

"It doesn't" suggests otherwise ;)

16. StingKing

StingKing Valued Member

My question was straight forward, and I thought it was simple to enough to just answer the question rather than bring up facts 101.

Appreciate your input though. I agree with many posts above :rolleyes:

17. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

18. bdstexas

bdstexas Valued Member

Josh,

I think you are taking my point way out of context. You said that the race of the next soke should not matter. If you knew anything about any Japanese tradition you would know that it DOES matter. Can you name any ryu, be it martial, tea, noh, calligraphy or other that is headed by a non-Japanese?

19. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

Don Angier : Yanagi-Ryu

"DON ANGIER is the Soke (inheritor) of Yanagi Ryu Aiki Ju Jitsu of the Yoshida family of Kyushu by direct succession from Kenji Yoshida, son of Kotaro Yoshida. Yanagi Ryu Aiki Bugei is a complete samurai art encompassing all the skills that were necessary for the Yoshida clan in the execution of their duties as samurai."

;-)

-Daniel

20. Dale Seago

Dale Seago Matthew 7:6

Yanagi ryu aikibugei -- Donald Angier, Soke:

http://ejmas.com/jcs/jcsart_angier_0501.htm

Dosn't invalidate the point you're trying to make, though -- I'm just picking nits. ;)