The New XBox 360

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by BoxBabaX, May 13, 2005.

1. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

good, then we agree.

2. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

I didn't think killzone 1 was a halo killer, i took it back after owning it for a couple of days because it was just outclassed by halo in most respects. From that trailer for the sequel though, i'm starting to think you may be right tekken

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I enjoyed the first Killzone a lot, but I think I was into it for the atmosphere more than anything else. The graphics looked nice but suffered very badly from slowdown and clipping and the AI was painfully stupid at times. Killzone 2 looks very impressive and I have high hopes for it

4. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Killzone 2 looks amazing, that atmosphere alone was engrossing enough. Tatsumaru, i'm pretty sure that if the 360 waits on that halo release it'll be too little to late.

5. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

E3 usually has some kind of surprise, nothing massive, i think the surprise was that the PS3 showed off so much in specs and release titles and graphical ability even though everyone said that it was being shelfed to talk about the revolution and the 360. Killzone 2 is by far the most promising title, but Tekken 6 most definately has alot of potential, it was beautiful as well even though it was a short video, over all i think the presentation was great, good coverage and good discussions and valid points made, i was very dissapointed with the Revolution and 360 cases and arguments as well as the presentations, PS3 has killed them both so far in presentation alone. yes, PS3 exclusive on Killzone. we'll see what happens tonight, I love G4.

6. Topher

Topher allo!

I think it was totally surprising that Nintendo even revealed the Revolution at E3. I for one didn't really expect to see it knowing how secretive they are and all (there were rumors that they wouldn't show anything regarding the console), and i didn't expect to even hear about final specs etc.

Dispointment - no way :D

7. Topher

Topher allo!

That footage was rendered in the games engine - but what you saw wasn't 'in-game' footage. It's wasn't a recording of some someone actually playing.

8. geves

geves Valued Member

my take on it is: it's impossible for the PS3 to look that good at this stage of production for them. xbox 360 is much further along then them in terms of devlopment and you can tell because they let people play the games. maybe that killzone 2 trailer everyone talks about is actual footage of the game, but i doubt it's gameplay in anyform (maybe an entance to a level). you've got developers working on 360 games that are just as good if not better than Guerilla. how can they out do everyone else by that much of a difference?

and the PS3 hardware is not the answer, cuz really PS3 when compared to xbox 360's hardware, there's not much of a difference. PS3 might be a little stronger graphic wise but not by much. they're basicly equal. Neither one is going to out-do the other.

another thing to point out about SONY which may tell you that they're lying is nintendo. SONY claims that the PS3 is 25 to 30 times more powerful than the PS3 (which is ludicrous to begin with). while nintendo claims the revolution is 2 to 3 times more powerful than the gamecube. nintendo seems to be more realistic about it. there's no way in hell nintendo would allow themselves to get over done by that much. EVER.

another thing that i'll post twice on this site, because there's threee different topics about the next generation consoles (and i'm not sure which one i posted it on before) http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/615/615152p1.html

"the Epic and EA presentations were the only third party portions actually running on the PS3 in real-time. But most of those movies, which I probably watched 3 or 4 during rehearsals for the event, look very achievable and some were probably rendered on the actual box but in non-real-time." from the link above.

i think sony is over estimating their worth this e3 in order to not fall behind (because they don't have hands on PS3 to present, unlike 360)
    i'm not being biased and trying to shoot down sony. but come on!
    stop your lies sony.

9. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i think you are all jealous.
    and as i said in reguards to you last post of that article, {and this is coming from the same article}

"When a system is year away, heck even with a system is 6 months away, it is reasonable to expect the power of the dev kits would still only be a fraction of the power of the final system."

"I should add that we're in a similar position for XBOX360. It's also made up of parts we're intimately familiar with"

both are from the above link. so look at this, lets say that indeed they were rendered. think about this. if it DOES produce that game quality at any time during its lifespan would you be dissapointed? maybe it won't be a launch title. and it'll be released a few months later. would that make it any less amazing?
    i've said it before but i can't seem to find the post so i'll just say it all again.

look at the PS2, now compare what was being produced when it first came out as opposed to what is being done now. people are saying "wow, i didin't know my PS2 was capable of that" and rightly so. we know how to program and design for the PS2 so much better now than we did then, and we are able to push its limits. and i think the same will apply to the PS3. lets say that Killzone 2 ISN'T a release title. if it came out 6 YEARS FROM NOW, would it still not be amazingly beautiful? i think it will be out after a few months of the PS3s life cycle starting up. if we are able to produce games of that degree of quality NOW, or even THEN a year from now, it will still be a big step foreward in the right direction. imagine if you will what the PS3 and the other next gens will be capable of once we give them a few months of run and we understand them better. we are nearing a peak at, a point at which the things the programmers, developers and designers are able to produce is in question with what the systems are capable of, i think that says alot. when the hardware and software are on par with the imaginations of todays game industy pioneers, we will have reached a pinnicale in gaming. and i think the PS3 and 360 are the mediums in which we will see this pinnicale come about, so for the time being, fine, lets say that its all rendered just for the hell of it. the future is now.

10. geves

geves Valued Member

yeah, but that still doesn't justify the fact that sony has been mis-leading.
    25 to 30 times the power of the PS2!? come on man, you know that's a lie.

yeah like it's been said many times, these are games in their alpha life cycle and the actual games will look even greater. but to say that sony's killzone will look like that while it's in it's alpha phase is retarded. agree?

everything we've seen for the PS3 is cinematics and until they release an actual trailer that has a hud or something that tells me "this is the in-game graphics" i'm not buying what they're telling me.

i'm not jealous because, i know by looking at the specs of these consoles there isn't much of a difference. so if PS3 (hypotheticly) looks like that. then xbox 360 will look just as well. it's to the point in the technology where the console you choose doesn't mean a thing. it's down to the developers now.
    i think this is what the console war is all about.

SONY easily has the upper hand due to loyalty and a small graphical possibility (probably won't even notice it though). but xbox 360 (and this is true) was created for the developers and development on this system is going to be much easier than sony's console. plus you have to look at price.

people are expecting the xbox 360 to be around $300
    and the PS3 at around $400.

you might be saying to yourself. "self. that's not as bad as everyone thought it could be."

but you'd be wrong cuz those are the prices WITHOUT hard drives :eek:
    the hard drives are expected to raise the price of each system about $100 :cry:

we'll just have to wait and see what nintendo brings to the table.

11. geves

geves Valued Member

you also might tell yourself PS3 will be much much better cuz it's $100 more.
    you'd also be wrong agian.

Dual eithernet
    Built-in wi-fi
    Bluetooth
    Multi-types of flash memory slots (SD, memory stick etc)
    blueray

included on the PS3, which don't increase the quality of games at all. would easily add $100 to the price tag.

to tell the truth, the expected PS3 price was actually a little higher but i lowered it, cuz i don't think SONY would ever let their machine cost that much more than the competition.

EDIT: well blueray will increase the space on a disc, but seeing how they don't even use up all of the space on DVDs for most games nowadays. it's pretty fruitless. plus if they continue to use blueray technology (and i'm quite positive they won't) the price of PS3 games are expected to increase about $10.

DOUBLE EDIT: here's a link that you might find useful: http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-1985-x-x-x?tag=boxcar_all_features_image very good head to head comparison (if you can read specs)

but this is what i love about it.

SUPPORTED MEDIA FORMATS
    Playstation 3: Compatible with CR-ROM, CDR+W, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R

Xbox 360: DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD

cool for both systems, because now you can play all of you MP3s on your console.

Last edited: May 19, 2005
  12. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

actually, if you've been watching E3, the PS3 and 360 have the exact same compatibility in terms of the formats. the qualities you listed

Dual eithernet
    Built-in wi-fi
    Bluetooth
    Multi-types of flash memory slots (SD, memory stick etc)
    blueray
    ARE on the PS3 its not a matter of yes or no anymore. i'm chopping this one up to be one hell of a console war, don't have to much hope for the nintendo boys at this point in the game.
    i believe that the PS3 will be what it claims {25- 30 times more powerful}
    they really took the capability beat down from MS to heart. they won't be beaten in that area again, and they've been solid in every other area thus far. i think its just hard for most people to accpet the fact that a system can boast that much power. i mean hell, they've had 7 YEARS! to play with this and fine tune it, and theres still time left. i wouldn't be surprised if the 360 made a similar claim and followed through as well. I'm loving this MP3 playability and the massive online capability of both systems. any word on the online use prices? that was a very useful link thanks. i noticed the PS3 had more RAM and standard memory, that was rather unexpected.
    all of the PS3 diffrent plug and play ability is really impressive. both are saying that the online community is to be massive.

13. geves

geves Valued Member

well sony's been pretty quite about their online plan. so nobody has a clue. :cry:

we all know that xbox is going to offer two versions of xbox live.
    xbox live silver and xbox live gold (i think that's their names) silver is going to be free and gold's price hasn't been said yet.

nintendo, claims to have an online system that works pretty much like the original live, i imagine (if their smart) it will be free. they can't take any chances.

so sony said they are for sure going with the blueray discs? that's like 54 gigs of space, that's too crazy. hopefully they'll put it to good use with some crazy long games. imagine metal gear solid playing for like 80+ hours :love:

the possiblities for that much disc space is making me consider buying a PS3..
    i don't know what to do anymore :bang: yesterday i was actually thinking about going for the revolution, i was originally planning on buying xbox and not anything else.. now i want all three :cry:

14. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Nintendo are going to sell just as well as they always have. 360 and ps3 is going to be closer, that is gonna be the only difference IMO. Nintendo are never going to compete at that level because they are "cartoony". The online aspect of Nintendo is going to RULE, mario kart, mario party, smash bros etc. all online is gonna be AMAZING and the downloading of old games is a stroke of genius. A lot of people still won't appreciate it but that's life. Nintendo are still gonna be producing great quality stuff worth buying. Fact.

15. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

yes, for sure going with blu-ray. i don't know why you wouldn't want a PS3 its going to have an impressive amount of exclusive games all very promising. this is going to be a nice console war, i'm probably going to buy both, but the 360 will have to wait a few months unless i happen to come across another 400 dollar.s

16. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Will probably end up getting a revolution and a ps3 when the price drops.

17. Topher

Topher allo!

I'll get the Revolution and hopefully a PS3 later. PS3's price (if its true) is way to high. I'm buying it for the games, not Bluray player etc. It's that thats made it so much.

18. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

I'll be getting the PS3 first no doubt. and the 360 a few weeks after. nothing on the Revolution makes me want it yet. saving asap for the PS3 and a plethora of games.

19. geves

geves Valued Member

yeah. but ya never know the revolution could have all kinds of re-makes of great old titles.

honestly i'm going to wait on getting a PS3, not because i don't want one. but SONY doesn't have a very good record on releasing hardware that's free of bugs. but they have enough time to fix the bugs this time around. but still i'll wait at least a few months just to see if anything comes up.

20. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

well the box has been keen to FIRE!!! remember that recall on all the power cables, like 12 house fires started as a result of a faulty cord. anyway, i think they both have enough time to fix all the kinks. but i'm not going to buy both right away and have like 2 games. I'm gonna spend big and get the PS3 first, then all the launch titles i want, get setup online, get atleast 4 controllers, {and customize it with a case and lights when they become available} and then wait until i have enough money to do the same wh the 360 and do so. but getting a hi def big ass TV will impede the 360s purchase a bit longer than a few weeks.