The negative connotations of Atheism and popular assumptions about atheists.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Thelistmaker, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

The negative connotations of Atheism and popular assumptions about atheists.

Tekkengod recently mentioned on another thread that atheism in America carries certain negative connotations.

I would like to ask people on this forum what images and feelings the word atheist conjures up to them and what the general attitude to atheism is in their area and culture.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Most just seem to drone on about how bad religion is. Usually focussed on Catholics or Christian sects. They usually are a fair bit more obnoxious than most of the religions they are so adamant against. It seems on the forum here at MAP they are sooooo put upon because someone has preached to them at some point and they for whatever mysterious reason didn't have the spine to tell the person preaching to them to pack it in and sod off. :p

I think in general it's pretty hard for anyone to take them as seriously as they take themselves.

3. WatchfulAbyss

WatchfulAbyss Active Member

To be honest I dont really know anyone that in general calls themselves an atheist. I see it more on the internet than any where ellse.

4. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

While I agree with slips sentiments I have to say Im coming slightly around to the atheists drone of being regarded negatively in America. I was reading a book recently that quoted a Gallup poll from 1999 which asked Americans whether they would vote for "an otherwise well qualified person who was ...

a Woman (95 per cent)
    Catholic (94 per cent)
    a Jew (92 per cent)
    Black (92 per cent)
    a Mormon (79 per cent)
    Homosexual (79 per cent)
    Atheist (49 per cent)"!!!!!

You could argue that this is because atheists are not really seen as being pro-active but personally I found that figure shocking.

As for what negative images it conjures up... only experience I have had is when Ive discussed my views on contradictions in beliefs and why I decided not to go to church after I was 18 with my family which seemed to be genuinely unpleasant for my mother. Can't say it is a huge problem generally because I dont discuss religion with my parents (and overall my parents are quite liberal in their religious views) and I don't mind going to mass on Christmas so it's never really caused a huge amount of friction (at least after I got out of my mid teens). My grandmother still tells me that she will say a prayer for me 'even though I don't believe in it' and also tells me to pray for her/various people 'even if I don't think it does any good' but that doesn't bother me at all. Few people have ever tried to convert me and when they have Ive just told them Im not interested or had a discussion with them and its been fine.

So yeah in the places I've lived and with the people I've associated with its never been a big deal though to be honest none of my friends are particularly religious.

5. CKava

In fairness blind it could just be that people don't admit their views as easily in person. The statistical likelihood is that you probably do know some atheists.

6. hillbilly79

hillbilly79 Valued Member

Atheists are Christmas-haters and dead set on removing the 10 Commandments from all judicial buildings.

Although as an adult I know better, when I was a kid I assumed that atheists were immoral because they reject God, thus they reject His laws.

7. CKava

Well thats a good example of negative stereotypes there...

P.S. This atheist quite enjoys Christmas. ;)

8. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

Atheist are against religions. And non-Xtian religious people are also dead set on removing the 10 Commandments from public buildings.

9. Kew-Do

Kew-Do Valued Member

Atheist are people that just do not believe in a supreme being, or a life after death. They also do not believe in the devil or two opposing sides. I know atheist who just believe we are here on this planet through evolution we live, we die, and thats it. They are also no different in the way they treat me or others. You would never know unless they told you. As a matter of fact one of my atheist friends is so friendly and is involved in Philanthropy and giving to worthy causes. Many ask him, what church he attends due to the abundance of love and support that he gives others. He says, you should watch the expression on peoples faces, when he states to them his stand point, which he has no problem doing.

10. WatchfulAbyss

I geuss it just doesn't come up all that much for me outside of this forum.

11. WatchfulAbyss

I second that.....

12. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

A good argument for, and against, the belief in atheism.

13. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

In real life, most of them are low key and mind their own business, so I like them.

The ones on MAP tend to be a complete pain.

People have religious hang-ups. Americans like to know that thier leaders have moral codes, and people tend to see atheists as not just "anti-religion", but anti-pro-social values. Atheists are perceived to be overly-intellectual (not true, as we've seen here on MAP), very leftist, etc.

Actually, you enjoy the secular holdiay that involves giving gifts and singing carols. You don't enjoy what Christmas is really about, which is the celebration of the birth of Christ. There is a world of difference between saying you like presents and saying the day is important to you because of your religious beliefs.

14. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

There are more than two atheists on MAP.

15. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

16. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

It seems a bit stupid that everyone is saying that the only atheists they notice are the ones that make themselves noticable. I wonder why that is?

17. CKava

Do I? Odd then that I bother going to mass then. ;)

Also, I don't exactly think there is the huge yawning chasm you present. The reason most Christian kids that I've known (including myself) enjoy Christmas is not because Jesus was 'born' on it (though I did personally enjoy setting up the manger) but because of receiving presents and Santa coming to town. There have always been secular and religious aspects to Christmas at least in modern times and as such I don't think Christmas particularly belongs to religion anymore. It has religious roots and for certain religious people it might have a particularly powerful meaning but Id say for the vast majority of Christians the secular side plays just as large a part as the religious bit. It's not a chose one or the other scenario. Not to mention how impossible it is to detach what is social/cultural from what is truly religious behaviour.

18. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

So you call yourself an atheist, but attend Mass on Christmas. Do you actually believe in what's going on at Mass or is it just a "I do it for some other reason". Cuz if you believe in the divinity of Christ, I'm thinking you prolly shouldn't be calling yourself an atheist, and if you attend just to be with friends and family, but don't believe in the divinity of Christ, then you're just along for the ride and your enjoyment doesn't mean the same as someone who attends and enjoys the service for what it is, a religious experience.

There is a big difference, IMO. Modern America spends a lot of time focusing on giving gifts, singing carols, etc. There is no recognition of Christ, the only recognition is of Santa. Same with Easter, with its focus on chocolate and bunnies instead of the Resurrection of Christ. I'm fairly certain Christ didn't hand out brightly-coloured eggs to his disciples when he walked out of the tomb.

Gonna disagree with you on that one. There are two distinct and separate meanings between the secular and the religious. You can do both, but I do not agree with the assertion that Christmas doesn't belong to the Christians.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  19. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

The more hardcore Christians among my friends told me that, from a religious standpoint, Easter is more important than Christmas, yet they still celebrate Christmas more simply because it's more fun. To me, Christmas can be considered an Atheist holiday as well as a Christian one due simply to the fact that Atheists exchange presents, eat turkey, hang up decorations and say "we're celebrating Christmas". Do we get the same thing out of it as the Christians? Probably not. But it's still Christmas IMO.

20. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

It's a Xtian holiday all right. You may get Atheists celebrating it, but non-Xtians do not. In any aspect.