The mighty Headbutt

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sgt_Major, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Discuss the pros + cons of the mighty headbutt:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z-iPt9SltI"]YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz_BQTFPIfI"]YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVqgH9nPlaM"]YouTube[/ame]

Discuss....

I'm hoping slips can post some better videos :p

2. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

Just don't let it happen to you

3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

:eek:

Headbutt someone and mess up my looks???? :eek: :p Think I will stick to good old punching in the face. :D

4. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Bump

and always try and use the top of your head, it hurts less

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Well, if the opportunity presented itself, I would headbutt someone, but there is no reason to jump in headfirst just to get it off.

6. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

why not?
    if you have the element of surprise and it gives you the advantage why would'nt you?

7. TKDragon

TKDragon Valued Member

I've been head-butted by accident and that hurt like hell, I can't imagine doing it on purpose. Su lin's right... good old punch to the face.

The only pro I can see to a head-butt would be the quick, unexpected bash in the face by a hard surface. The only con... if you don't do it right you'll knock yourself koo-koo.

8. angacam

angacam Mare Est Vita Mea

In the right situation it does work, used it once in a bar. Busted the guys nose all over the place, end of fight. It worked there cause he came in close to try the push em into a buddy crap. Grabbed his head and planted mine into his nose. His buddy wanted no parts of it after that either.

9. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

I have to say I used to use this all the time, first strike = headbutt. Normally dazed / confused them enough to put em on the back foot.

10. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

exactly!!!!!!!!

a well placed headbutt,i have also done this, end of fight period!!!!!!!

11. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Because it involves launching something directly adjacent to your face at a potentially violent opponent. It's hard to recover from, it's over-committed and it's telegraphed. If I was up in somebodies face and their hands were down I would not hesitate.

12. fruitjuice!

fruitjuice! Banned Banned

On 1st video: Jesus Christ!
    On 2nd video: Bloody hell!

It's not the heabutts that shock me, but the surprisingly violent yet incredibly well controlled manner (never got sloppy) little KIDS initaited them with. LOL at the second video; guess he souldnt have dissed his mum :D

As for the 3rd video. worst. fight. ever. Both ought to have gotten run over by a bus.

13. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

This is the best example of a head butt I've seen:

Video

:p

On a more serious note, this is an example of what a headbutt can do:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNJMHLIW96I]Girl drops bouncer[/ame]

:eek:

14. TKDragon

TKDragon Valued Member

Yikes... Maybe they should hire her to be the bouncer. That guy was down for the count.

15. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

but thats my point, if you have the element of surprise ie hands down by the side, a headbutt could if done correctly end the fight or you could proceed to bash'em into the next zip code

16. shootodog

shootodog restless native

good headbutt. used the top of the head against the soft part of the opponent's head. classic.

this one didn't connect quite well. it did however shock the opponent and gave the boy enough offensive momemntum.

last vid is an example of how a headbutt should'nt be done. hard part of the head on to the hard part of opponent's head. not good. has no real effect.

the best headbutt is really to use your forehead on to the opponent's nose or the top of your head against the opponent'schin (never the mouth. that may open up your head and the sight of your blood may have a negative effect on you).

17. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

18. shootodog

shootodog restless native

19. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

those were some nice headbutts :D
    reminds me of zidaine lol

20. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

whe i was in college, we had pick-up soccer games out on the quad just about everyday.. i was walking by when two guys both went for a header - and one headbutted the other's open mouth. the guy who got hit lost 3 teeth.. the guy who did the hitting had teeth tracks in his head, ended up with a shaved patch and 32 stitches... :eek:

granted, not an intentional headbutt, but it's the best argument i can think of for knowing how to do one correctly - and knowing not to headbutt an open mouth!