The Martial Arts of African Slaves

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by wayofthedragon, Oct 23, 2004.

1. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

We all know of capoeira, This African Brazilan martial art is gaining popularity even more today. But I was doing research and wondering what about the others....I mean African slaves weren't only in Brazil, so they must have developed a fighting system in other areas as well especially since there were warriors among them as well. Thats when I found out about some of the others in my search
    http://www.africanmartialarts.8m.com/

African-Bazilian Martial Arts (Capoeira), African-Cuban Martial Arts (Mani), African-Jamaican Martial Arts (Machet'e), African- Haitian Martial Arts (Pinge), all were born out of a burning desire for freedom.
    There was....maybe still is I don't know....a secret african american martial art as well that was mentioned. I have yet to find out what that is and what it entirely consists of
    How ever we all know what capoeira is. I haven't been able to find a clear site on mani yet, but it seems (from what I did find) to be a style of stick fighting and as of now I haven't been able to find any thing on machet'e, pinge, or this secret african american art either except for where it is mentioned on the site above. I am still searching and thus will post updates when I find them. In the mean time, anyone who wishes to lend a researching hand....feel free and post your findings here as well or maybe some of you have heard of them yourself. Until then...the search continues and will contiune to update. Thanx.

PS hmmm, maybe I should've post this in the capoeira section....or maybe not :D

2. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I've never heard of either of those, although there are three machetes in my house :D

3. wayofthedragon

Yes, I know, neither have I (until recently), neither have a lot of people I assume. Yet the search continues. I want to know what these styles are really about.

4. wayofthedragon

Okay I found some more on mani....an afracian cuban martial art:

MANI (BAILE DE)
    This fighting dance, close to a martial art, grew in 19th century among slaves of sugar plantations in Cuba.
    Only the men take part in it : the dancer, in the circle, do movements simulating fight, and choose a protagonist among the others men of the circle. Then the elected "adversary" comes in the circle, and, in harmony with the other dancer, execute a choreography of movements, between fight and dance.
    http://www.dancesalsa.com/GLOSSARY.HTM
    But there has to be more to it that just a "dance", from what I have heard. Anyway, I'm not sure, but Mani may also be similar or related to this as well..... http://www.osmalandrosdemestretouro.bigstep.com/generic.html?pid=10

Also, I still havent' come up with anything concerning the others, but I will eventually and when I do they will be posted along with a full descripiton

5. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

wow, thanks! i never knew that bit of info! this is why MAP is great

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Keep up the good work, mate. Interesting stuff!

7. wayofthedragon

Back with another style. Its an Afro-American style, check it out it's cool....this is a different one from the ones listed above which I am still searching for info on, but haven't had a lot of time on the computer lately. I have heard of this style once before, but the this is the first time I ran into it on the internet. http://www.osmalandrosdemestretouro.bigstep.com/generic.html?pid=2
    I just think it's interesting because as we know there are many martial arts in africa.....but just as they were there, there are also many styles that were created in the US, brazil, and in other places and other places that had slaves....like capoeira. The style above adds another to my list:) I hope to make a list of African Slave martial arts and have a full description of each. Though it's really hard finding info on them, in part because they probally aren't practiced widely anymore...if at all.

PS if any have info on any others....post here

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  8. wayofthedragon