the Lloyd Irvin saga - WARNING: May have distressing content

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hannibal, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I don't know how many of you have been following this story, but thought it might merit some discussion and mention here.

Basically Lloyd Irvin (self-professed marketing guru and legit BJJ coach) had two team members that raped a female and it was caught on camera.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Re...ow-Lloyd-Irvin-Student-on-New-Years-Eve-48967

When the story broke, Lloyd naturally condemned the actions and separated himself from the two....but then what can only be described as a HUGE skeleton fell out of his own closet.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/10/3856994/team-lloyd-irvin-rape-case

As it turns out the same Lloyd Irvin may well have stoof trial for rape back in 1989...and was only acquitted because he was unable to "perform" the deed

As all this was breaking Lloyd clearly felt the best thing to do was make money off it, becuase he then bought the domain rights to "lloydirvinrape.com" and sold self-defense products. This was to capitalise on the inevitable "googlefest" about him

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/1...loyd-irvin-purchases-lloydirvinrape-marketing

Clearly there is also nothing being learned because we now have this diatribe from a coach at his gym

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/1...t-head-instructor-at-wrightson-bjj-calls-1989

The part I am having such a hard time with is my inherent belief in rehabilitation and people changing their lives. Shoudl a previous accusation be held against him? I don't think so as long as it was in the past and is mitigated....but he has done nothing but cash in and play "blame the victim" so can he truly be said to have moved on from this?

Sickening state of affairs

2. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Wow

This is disturbing on so many levels and particularly Phil Proctor's comments:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/1...t-head-instructor-at-wrightson-bjj-calls-1989

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

This has been the craziest story from the get go... I've been following this story for a while and it just gets more grim at every turn. It really... really... has left me scratching my head.

The two fighters who have been arrested aren't going to find a way out of this. If the evidence on the CCTV footage proves to even be a fraction of what has been leaked out to the media then they are going to be in jail for a very long time... or at least we can only hope so. It's really just too outrageous on every level.

And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse... it does with the whole issue of Lloyd Irvin trying to capitalize on it. It's just insane to have the thought process of 'oh let's make a buck here'.... about as low as it gets.

Tragedy for the girl who was raped. She'll be dealing with this for a very long time to come. Tragedy for many of Lloyd Irvin's talented students (DJ Jackson and Keenan Cornelious to name a few).... that they now will have this sort of stigma attached to their school... and the stigma that Lloyd Irvin went full creep mode and tried to spin a buck out of it.... man... just the bottom of the barrel.

:bang:

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

So just to check I've understood this all right: Two of lloyd Irvin's students have been caught on camera raping someone. In a completely unrelated case years ago Irvin was accused of rape but was found not guilty, but then claimed the url to sell his products. In another seperate thing one of his blackbelts was insulting towards a rape victim.

Assuming I haven't missed anything out I don't see the negatives for Irvin here? Claiming the url is a bit off but I can see why he did it. Better to have it be a minor troll job where people get confronted with a store for your stuff rather than someone else use it to insult him.

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i dont even...

what?

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Wow. Really?

Two of your male students/fighters... that live in at your 'fighters house' repeatedly rape a female team mate after they drove her to what they thought was a secluded parking garage... never mind that they were supposed to be assisting her home and then they leave her laying in a parking garage... and you decide the best course of action is to run out and register LloydIrvinerape.com... REALLY?!?!

:eek:

On either level this is creepy...

A) It's an attempt to manage influence media so that anyone searching Google about this case and this issue is taken to your website where you conveniently sell your anti-rape training course. Whatever that consists of. It not only is an attempt to take the focus off the fact that these were your students... He didn't register the website because he was afraid people would use it to insult him... he did it to try and deflect as much possible attention from him and his past. Two very different things. It's a very sneaky way to go about trying to influence what shows up in Google. In short he's taking someone else's tragedy and running with it for everything he can.

B) It becomes one hell of a very tasteless bit of marketing tripe. In fact it's the absolute lowest of the low - that it appears that Lloyd Irvin himself was involved in a rape case where he managed to not get sent to prison because he was 'impotent' (read up on the case and find out how they're using that word... very curious).... So we have a guy that was involved in a gang rape - and yet now he's peddling how-to-avoid-rape lessons online... piggybacked on the rape of one of his students by two of his other students... and you can't see why that is a complete and total fail on so many levels? Wow.

It's an absolute fail for Lloyd Irvin any way you slice it - there were a million better ways he could have handled this instead of going into full marketing-meister mode. That's about the most classes route he could have taken... even more so given his connection to all involved and his past. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

He was found not guilty through the technicality of not being able to maintain an erection.
    He was still (seemingly, allegedly and all that), on hand when some of his mates raped a woman and (again seemingly, allegedly and all that) did naff all to stop them.
    When this came to light he (seemingly, allegedly and all that) bought a very dodgy domain name, not to set the record straight (because the record is probably quite damning) but in order to reduce bad press and sell some products on the side.
    In contrast to you my friend I'm failing to see any POSITIVES for Irvin here?

8. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

You don't see the negatives here for Irvin here? Really?

BTW - His blackbelt wasn't just insulting towards "a" rape victim. He was insulting towards "the" rape victim in the 1989 case that a "Lloyd E. Irvin Jr." was involved in.

And insulting doesn't even come close to describing his comments.

9. Southpaw535

Ah, I thought he registered the website after his own trial, not this most recent one since it was mentioned after the point about his own trial. I'll agree that's pretty messed up.

having actually read the article about his own trial instead of the bit under it saying he was acquitted, I take back everything I said about that bit not being bad.

However on this bit

I read the comment but I couldn't quote it on here. The notion that the friend of someone accused of rape will insult the accuser isn't new to me. Been there, seen it, I accept it as another piece of evidence that people are dicks. Unless he ran it past Irvin and he okayed it before he posted it you can't put that one on him.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It adds to the tone of the whole saga though doesn't it?
    It may not be on Irvin himself but it's another example of the sort of people he associates with.

11. Southpaw535

I don't disagree, I'm just saying its not surprising and shouldn't necessarily be put at his feet as well, as satisfying as it would be to dump everything on him.

12. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

even if you assumed that MMA fighters are nothing but knuckleheads two accused rapists (and camera evidence is going to be hard to dismiss), and one alleged/aquitted. I'd have thought the negative PR was somewhat worse than a steroids abuse claim and definately not good for business (just resting the emotive issue of the whole thing to one side)

13. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Oh my.. crazy and awful.. First I've heard of, so thanks for posting. My condolences to the victim.

14. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

I may have understood it wrong (the 80s rape charge), but apparently he only got acquitted because while he tried to rape someone, his apparatus didn't function as planned.

Now, I may be old fashioned, but in my book, trying to rape someone means that you are a complete lowlife. Whether he got acquitted because his weenie failed is irrelevant to that. He also did not try to stop any of the actual rapists. Such a person should not be in a position of authority over other students. Or do you disagree?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  15. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

This is sooo messed up in so many ways.

LFD

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Its his entire lack on contrition for that offence that basically offends me so deeply - he was found not guilty on a technicality not because he didn't do it or partake in the gang rape

Until he addresses that he is pretty much scum in my eyes - and I guarantee he knew EXACTLY what his coach was saying, otherwise he would have issues a damn swift retraction by now

This could end his business ventures for the foreseeable

17. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I think it's very sad and more than a bit sick and twisted this guy made a move to make money off of this incident. I could understand if he bought the domain name to stop other people getting it or to post a statement. But making money out of someone else's suffering like this goes beyond the pale.

18. Southpaw535

You'll notice I took it back in my next post once I wasn't rushing around and actually sat down to read the article.

19. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

20. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

And the comments by his head trainer Phil "The Fool" Proctor are inexcusable.

I'm not going to quote the real explicit ones here but he goes on to say "I know this is a touchy subject and I have daughters too.".

I have a daughter too which makes it even more mind boggling that he could make such a statement.