The Kuk Sool book checklist

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by JKN-Pellegrini, Apr 26, 2013.

1. JKN-Pellegrini

JKN-Pellegrini Valued Member

So while reading through the old threads in this forum, I ran into mentions of a couple (now out of print) KS books I didn't know about, and thought it might be useful to compile a reference list of all Kuk Sool books available in English (won or not).

It is not my intent to start a discussion on the value of learning martial arts from books--that has already been discussed in other threads. Rather, I'd like to know if I managed to compile a complete list. If you notice anything missing, please add it as a reply.

Kuk Sool Book List:

Kuk Sool Won: Traditional Korean Martial Art: Textbooks Vols. 1 & 2 (Two-Volume Set) [Hardcover] (various years) by In Hyuk Suh
    Kuk Sool Won: Traditional Korean Martial Art: Textbook Vol. 3*[Hardcover] (various years?) by In Hyuk Suh (available only to KSW black belts)
    The Fighting Weapons of Korean Martial Arts by In Hyuk Suh and Jane Hallander (Sep *2005)
    Kuk Sool Won Staff Techniques by In Hyuk Suh (1991)
    Kuk Sool Won: Sword Techniques by In Hyuk Suh (1991)
    Kuk Sool Won Pressure Point and Joint Locking Self Defence by In Hyuk Suh (1988)
    Kuk Sool Won: Defense Against a Knife or Club by In Hyuk Suh (1988)
    Kuk Sool Won Breaking Techniques by In Hyuk Suh (1988)

Kuk Sool (Martial Arts Which Were Use to Defend the Korean Nation - The Royal Court Martial Arts - The Korean ... by In Sun Seo and In Hyuk Su (1985)
    This is the "red book" that is mentioned on a couple threads in these forums, one of which I was unaware of. I get the feeling it's an early version of the textbook. Can someone please confirm this?

Kuk sool: Korean martial arts by He-Young Kimm (1985)

Is there anything I missed? Can someone provide details on the "blue book?"

2. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

I have a red book, it was the text book before the current black series. The first 32 pages contain pictures and Korean text of various KSW practitioners. Page 33 is a short history of Grand Master SUH’s founding of Kuk Sool Won. Page 34 – 35 is titled “Word of Publication” by In-Sun Seo. Page 39-43 contain a “General Outline of Martial Art and a Brief History of Kuk Sool” by In-Sun Seo, written in 1985. Page 44-46 is the “Kuk Sool Won “Ho Kuk Moo Yea” Historical Martial Arts of National Defense” written again by In-Sun Seo. Page 47 to 210 is the colored belt content and Page 211 starts the 1st degree content. The book is riddled with miss spellings and bad publishing (page 236 is backwards), but it was a good start and made going back over techniques for testing easier for me. The pictures were interesting, although I don’t know what the Korean descriptions mean. Publication date appears to be sometime in 1987.

Frank colwell likes this.
  3. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

I think the blue book came before the red one and was in Korean. Don't quote me on that though, hehe.

4. JKN-Pellegrini

Thank you, Xanth

5. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

That is correct. The blue book had pictures in the back of many of the instructors at the time. I'd like to get my hands on a copy of that one, it's a piece of history. Sadly I've only seen it...I think my instructor has that one.

6. JKN-Pellegrini

Do you know about what year that was printed, Obewan?

7. Humbleseeker

Humbleseeker Valued Member

I have seen some old Kuk Sool Won books on Amazon. Their was blue and one red one. They were asking in the hundreds for them.

8. JKN-Pellegrini

Those would be the ones. Not that I'm about to fork over that much for them :)

9. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

Hi,

I have all of the books you have listed as well as the "BLUE" book. Here are some photos and details...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*You can see the publishing stamps on the two books...red = 1984, blue = 1978. The blue book is written in Korean while the red is in English.

Interesting story...I had all of these books prior to going into the Marines back in 1995. Had all my Kuk Sool gear, certificates, awards, books, uniforms, etc. in a small storage unit. As it turned out, the storage place had mixed up my account documents and thought that I had never paid my rent...which I had, 6 months advance. So, all my stuff was auctioned off.

I had to rebuild my library. I stumbled across the Red book on Amazon and it was for sale for $20.00. As I was about to purchase it, I saw the person selling it had 2 for sale, so I bought both. When I received them, one was the Blue book! Luck of the Irish - that Blue Book is tough to find!

10. kuksool_keith

kuksool_keith Valued Member

The blue book is the only one I don't have. I actually in the book encyclopaedia by In Sun Seo but the blue book is a MARE to find

11. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

Are you only looking for the English Kuk Sool books? There are more books in Korean, but they are mostly more of the same.

12. JKN-Pellegrini

I'm not really looking for them, but am rather trying to compile a complete list. If you know the Korean names for the books and year of publication, etc., please feel free to add them to the list. Thank you, and Rock Chalk!

13. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

I'll have to go back and look up the info, but here are some photos.
    [​IMG]

There is Lee Han Chul's pressure point book

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would also include He-Young Kimm's History of Korea and Hapkido book since it talks about several Kuk Sool people and also KSN's biography that was published a few years back in Korea. There are a few more, but I'll have to go back and look for them.

14. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Interesting that there is a big red book stating that In Sun Seo is the grandmaster of Kuk Sool Won...:eek: :evil:

15. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

16. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

wow, that big red and blue book are rather nice! Anyone know if those are readily available???

17. kuksool_keith

kuksool_keith Valued Member

only the black manuals are readily available now. you sometimes find one of the red books and also the very large KUK SOOL by He-Young Kim on Amazon but there usually quite expensive. have o say, pretty jealous of that collection you have there

18. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

Is the "martial arts textbook" with the Kido Federation logo the same book they are printing now or a different one?

19. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

Basically the same I believe. It's just the earlier version. I don't have the newer version to compare, but from what I've seen of it it looked pretty similar.

20. lfromcalgary

lfromcalgary New Member

Just to verify, the Red book covers all the colored belt requirements? because the Black book Volume 1 seems to end at red/brown level.