The GOOD Video Thread - No off topic posts allowed

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Fudo-shin, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

To be fair this isn't video lessons or online belt courses. It's more like video clips of Japanese shihan teaching and content from Phil, some long term Japan residents and a few other folk

When I hear people talking of transmission in the buj, what may happen when Soke retires etc I often find myself feeling that people are presenting a particular vision of the future that is somewhat favourable to their situation. Far too many people, in my view, are positioning themselves as having something uniquely in tune with the "real deal" often dissing those around them on the way

In the end it comes down to "can you do it?" and that comes down to hard work, talent and the character to push yourself

2. TomD

TomD Valued Member

That's basically what Kacem says in the vid, and you are most certainly right there. Yet you also need a good teacher with the right links to the transmission, else you may become very good with all your effort, but not necessarily in the 9 schools in my opinion.

Regards, Tom.

3. Dunc

Maybe it's just me and I'm not responding directly to the videos above (rather the comments around them). I am seeing more and more people positioning themselves as "correct"/"got the inside track"/"know the secret of xyz" etc

It may be my tainted history, but I'm very wary of anyone who markets themselves this way. I observe that, generally speaking, people going down this track get lost because they fix their views of good/bad or who to copy early on

Keeping an open mind and learning from the strengths of everyone is a better approach I think (& entirely in tune with our tradition)

The problem with this approach is a marketing one - it becomes difficult to differentiate oneself

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  4. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

In cases of arts where everything is at a high standard across dojos and the demonstration and understanding of the art and its techniques, you would be right. However...

There are definitely people with the inside track, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out who they are(give you a hint though, besides Soke, they are all balding and graying gentlemen who studied with him for decades). So it's simple, learn from your teacher and make sure your teacher is one who has an inside track into the lineage. Sure you can learn from anyone, but many people don't know what to learn from which people. From some, you learn what not to do, from others what you have to do. If you see the real arts and how they are correctly applied, it becomes pretty obvious who has the ability and correct movement, otherwise you end up following anybody and everybody and it becomes the case of the blind leading the blind.

Phil's rantings video comes to mind as I write this. He's entitled to his opinion and belief about what the ranks are and training progression is, but it doesn't match with what I see from the real Shihan of these arts. So if the rhetoric and movement don't match, who cares about the marketing?

5. Dunc

Yup this pretty much sums it up :)

Nicely put

6. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Whilst reading another thread currently featuring George and Garth at ten paces, handbags locked and loaded :D

I was looking up Alfredo castina, wich the name rings a bell, but I can't think why??

Anyways I stumbled on this, nothing you probably haven't seen before, but I like how it's compiled and is an exciting little clip.
    ( warning: there's a bit of Hong Kong phooey near the end, which may be Alfredo ?)

http://youtu.be/-oY3LpS3x1Y

7. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I wonder though, are there any videos on this thread that are truly good? I was watching some Soke videos the other day, and much of it was over my head. However, he had a section that was showing some basic usage from stances, and I loved it. Things that should be obvious but I hadn't thought of.

I have been trying to watch the most recent videos of Soke and the only thing I can pick out that says good to me is how they move. He moves smoothly, with no hesitation. I see many videos of hesitation and lack of fluidity. He seams to be using less strict technique and more about using principals. Im not really finding the right words here. Almost like Improvisation. Really good improvisation.

I watch my teachers and they move smoothly, no hesitation and they are good at improvisation. I honestly would love to see some Doran Novan videos, or videos of anyone other then soke looking good.

Or maybe Videos with resisting opponents.. The one universal truth I know, is that nothing survives first contact with the enemy. Any martial art will look like crap on a resisting opponent. Its how well you can apply the principals when your in the midst of the crap that defines weather or not your a quality martial artist.

8. bouli

bouli Valued Member

The Alfredo video......
    The good points...
    1. Expensive looking credits.
    2. soke and japanese shihan footage

The bad points.
    1. Soke and Japanese shihan footage blatant copyright infringement.
    2. At least get the Shihan's names correct.
    3. 12th 11th kyu?

I couldn't watch any more.....

9. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNi4NB3t8B8&feature=youtu.be"]Kihon Happo Kaeshi Waza - YouTube[/ame]

I found this, from a link on MT. I don't have enough time in to know if it is any good, though it looks ok. Some arm hanging, but I think it might just be a demo.

10. Please reality

I know you're new to this but you are supposed to point out why you think its good.:)

11. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Well I think it looks good at some points. There are times when he is moving smoothly and the things he is doing are not overly complicated. However there are times when he is doing stuff that requires the uke to be brain dead. Some technique counters the uke just stops moving, but in others he is active.

I don't think its to bad, maybe average, just not great.

12. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Kframe: could you break it down? What was good? What was bad?

What time stamps are you referring to?

What is good? What is not overcomplicated?

What requires a brain dead uke?

13. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I particularly liked 3:31.

Other than that it made me shout at my screen.

Zanshin!!!!!

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Not going to lie, I thought that video was bloody awful - although did laugh at the "WHOAH!" balance moment at the 0:33 mark before he went on to demonstrate the usual crap

15. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

'twas double rubbish tbh.

But I am interested in kframes impressions of what was shown.

For example: How does he feel about the up/down movement shown, and how does he feel it adds or detracts from the waza?

16. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I thought .39-1min was bad. His usage of taki ori, was flawed. No one with any bit of martial experience sparring will ever put them selves into that position..

I liked the first 15 seconds. It looked quite useable.

I Kind of liked the techniques from about 1.20 onwards.

Regarding this whole up/down movement thing im still confused by it. My instructors tell us not to do it, but I don't understand why it is so bad. He wasn't bobbing up and down that much. You have to change levels for some throws and displacements.

I guess my take on that is from a boxing perspective, I was moving up and down with my knees quite a bit and that was considered ok.

Im heading to the YMCA right now. Ill be back later and give a more detailed time stamp blow by blow.

17. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

I like these as well for the comparison even if more than likely a breach of trust was broken between those video taping and the Japanese Sensei involved. These should not be up on youtube!!!

18. Please reality

If you have to ask that, you should wait awhile before you draw any conclusions.

Some have already commented on the video that you posted as belonging in this thread instead of the other video thread.

In general, if you watch enough videos of Hatsumi sensei and the shihan, you will be able to contrast it with footage of other people as well as what you are learning in the dojo. The better you can see and come to understand these differences, the better a judge you will be of what is actually good. Your experience in class will tell you what you felt was effective on yourself and when you applied it in training on others. Cross reference this with what you experienced in your MMA classes, and you will have a good idea to start from.

19. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Well I thought it was the usual dung.

Stiff legged 'gaijin master' seemingly unable to get his techniques to work even on compliant armhangers. The techniques themselves, to my eyes, looked superficially like the real ones but lacked the substance to make them work.

Sort of what you'd expect a van donkey home study student to look like, or a good indie school.
    Can't comment if 3:30 was good or bad, I've Never tried line dancing and could hear the music :) but geez the horrible hicho's omg.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter