The folk that you meet in internet land ...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by embra, May 10, 2011.

1. embra

embra Valued Member

I came to this forum, partly because the breadth and depth of koyo's posts had come to my attention at the same time as I was rediscovering MA.

I had known of koyo, 30 years ago, but only met in passing once ( I believe but cant be absolutely sure.) Sadly Bill is with us no more, but I have encountered a fair few other folk knowledgable, helpfull, friendly and funny as well. :cool:

More recently I have become aware that there are sometimes folk who come to this forum, who exhibit qualities of personality bordering on relatively serious Psychiatric conditions. Aikido and Taichi threads seem to bring some real dippy folk, FMA sometimes seems to have some troublemakers lurking around, Ninjitsu a world in its own universe, Kuk Sool another sometimes wierd place; and so on etc blah blah (big yawn time.)

You read about some Facebook psycho stalking his ex girlfriend etc and other silly stories; and it has come to my attention that MAP (like Facebook and others) may help to breed this kind of generally undesirable internet behaviour - which is a price we maybe have to pay for the general dissemination of information and well-informed debate that takes place here and in many other forums.

Myself I try to be quite humble in my postings and take responsibility for the contents contained within; but it has come to my consciousness that I may be contributing to this phenomena.

Just a few words of thought.

2. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

eh? maybe I've not started drinking early enough but are you staying or going? is this a good or a bad thing?

I'm prepared to get my coat, and hang my head in shame for not being able to read ;)

As for the nutters in some threads! You find most of the nicest people come from decent striking arts (sorry to all i offend) as for some of the people on here I've met, trained and talk with a few regular and I find some real decent folk being here.

Moi and I get on well on and off this forum at least I like to think so, the only thing nutty about him is he can't drink quick enough

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Try meeting them for real. Everyone is really nice from what I've experienced. Posting styles are not always a representation of character & personality. The Internet magnifies things and often things are taken out of context. Humour is often misunderstood

4. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Absolutely. Not one of them is a sexually frustrated, alcoholic, overweight .. oops, i'll stop there i think. :)

5. Moi

I'm not overweight :mad:

6. d0ugbug

and I'm not sexually frustrated

7. embra

embra Valued Member

There are a lot of great folk here and I am definately hanging around. I have met and trained with a few folk here as well from time to time, and have no regrets at all.

There are some very funny and witty folk here.

8. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

just me then.:bang:

9. Moi

That's how I keep slim :jawdrop:

10. Moi

I doubt it :rolleyes:

11. d0ugbug

I always thought that arm was bigger because of the the beer you drink

12. Moi

Me drink? I think you may be confusing me with somebody else, good sir..hic :rolleyes:

13. d0ugbug

Ha! sorry fella I must have you confused ;)

14. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

There's a cure for MAP insanity, and it's called the karate subforum.

15. embra

embra Valued Member

Thanks for the reminders that MAP is such a great place. Really appreciated.

16. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

The Western martial arts forum is also extremely sane (or, at least as sane as people can be while grappling with axes), albeit rather quiet.

17. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I've met quite a large number of Mappers in person I'm pleased to say.

I'll admit that there are some eccentrics, and certainly some people are far more 'vocal' online than they are in 'real life', but overall I have been struck by what a great bunch of people they turn out to be. :)

MODs - can I have the cheque in stirling as agreed?

18. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I've met quite a few.

Weirdos the lot of them.

Mitch :D

19. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I can't disagree !

20. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I've met the odd person from this site.

His name is Mitch.