The Elderly

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Judderman, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

It happens to us all (except me :Angel: ) what advice have you got for the elderly in terms of self protection?

Budo.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2004
  2. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

Be good, you'll die soon.

3. Adam

Adam New Member

Carry firearms

4. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

I can picture it now. An old man shooting a shot gun and getting blasted back five feet from the recoil, LOL. Or his arm getting dislocated from a hand gun kickback....I have a messed up mind.

5. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

My gran carries a bottle of perfume spray with her at all times - works just as well as mace without being illegal, and she can just tell the police "he's the sweet-smelling one"...

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Many of the senior citizen centers do offer a SD training classes for seniors considering they are frequently victims of crime.
    Simple self-defense techniques are taught (also how to use their canes, umbrellas, purses, carrying packages, etc.), home security, and communicating emergencies to police, and most importantly... "awareness"!

7. Adam

Adam New Member

Of those choices Kickchick, "awareness" is the only one that's likely to help them in my opinion.
    I'm a healthy 18 year old punk weighing about 195. If I want to attack, rob and murder a 100 pound, 75 year old retiree, there's very, very little that person can do to stop me. Elderly people can't even run very well and their punches and kicks won't do much damage, and neither will their cane strikes. Pepper spray would also be less useful, as they wouldn't be able to finish me or run away after macing me. I'd suggest carrying knives or firearms, as they need little strength to use properly, and at 75, it's doubtful they're gonna put you in the slammer for murder. But this I might be wrong about...

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I think you're right Adam.

The best way for a 75 year old to be able to defend themselves is for them to have been a formidible fighter when they were younger and to have maintained as much of that as possible as old age has come.

There is no magic pill.

If there was a system that could enable a 100lb 75 year old to beat a strong, young, aggressive attacker by taking a short course of lessons - then we'd all be training in it, regardless of age.

9. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

1ONEfighting's dad, or the normal senior citizen? :p

Umm, seriously, let me think.
    Pressure points, with canes, umbrellas, kubotans (Forgot the spelling, I think).
    An anti-personal device if possible, mace or something of the sort. And hope it's not taken from you and used on you.