The dream came true! Joined today Muay-thai!

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by cioGium, Nov 21, 2003.

1. cioGium

cioGium New Member

Yes baby, after almoust 6 months of searching i found a real muay-thay gym in the capital of my country, Bucharest! The gym is 230 km away from home and i go there 2 times a week as i have school and other stuff to do, but i have at home a heavy bag and plenty of room to practice home in my leaving room. The teacher is a very nice guy and actually will charge me less because i am from out of town. There was just another guy at the class who was shadowboxing, so the class is almoust one on one!cool :woo: !!
    I am so happy and just wanted to let the world now about it!!:D
    All the best!

2. Timmy!

Timmy! A Hypno-Toad In Disguise

Hey that sounds great! Hope you enjoy it.

3. Loci

Loci Valued Member

sounds kool. Good luck with it.

4. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Congratulations! Good luck with that, and welcome to the best martial art in the world (FOR ME). ;)

5. versatilefightR

versatilefightR New Member

wow, 230 km away, you must be very dedicated, that's a real long distance!
    I recently joined up in Muay Thai this week, luckily my dojo is about 15 minutes drive from me :)

6. cioGium

cioGium New Member

and because i am such a nice guy..

a muay-thai gym had opened im my town and it is located at aproximatly 10 min walk from my home!
    A had 2 classes untill now and i am eager for more.
    I had my first neck-wrestling round 2 days ago and man i must say it is soooo hard- when you see it in matches it seems so easy but when someone actually pulls your head to his knee and you realize that you can't do anything to stop it(bridging would be an option)it is terrifing...i still can't turn my head properly! I was always wondering why all those guys that met Wanderlei Silva's knees weren't able to keep their heads up!!! I found out the easy way ! :D

Muay-thai rocks!

7. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Re: and because i am such a nice guy..

LOL, When they've pulled your head down to knee you in the head (Worst Case Scenario), elbow their knee as they bring it up.

Best to hammer it with the opposite elbow to their knee for more power, drop the point of your elbow into the Thigh muscle (of their kneeing leg) hard.

Follow up by looping your other arm from the outside through the crook of their kneeing leg (Whilst keeping your elbowing hand guarding your face, incase they try to knee you again) off balance them by straightening upwards and throw them like a pancake. Great Fun.

That will teach them to be disrespectful!

Good Luck cioGium, enjoy the Muay Thai-you'll get used to it.
    I'm pleased for you.

8. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

cioGium, just hang onto his neck for dear life and straighten your body up so you don't get pulled over. Ride on top of him and make him drag your body weight around and keep kneeing kneeing kneeing. if all else fails in an emergency and your head is being pulled down toward his knees, take both hands, put them on his hips and PUSH THEM HARD as you quickly slip your head and body away from his hold.

9. SoKKlab

Yeah that's another good one Nicolo,
    Using both hands against the pelvis, spread across his bladder/ pelvis to push him back and make distance. If he can't bring his hips forward then he'll find it very difficult to knee you.

Takes quite a bit of strength and will in turn develop strength.

Be sure to bring your hands back up quickly when he has disengaged, so that he doesn't try to quickly punch your lights out to make a point.

It's like Thai Boxing Agony Uncle advice in here :)
    'Dear Clinching Victim...'

10. cioGium

cioGium New Member

:D Lot's of good info. The guy i was clinching with is higher than me and the only way i can ride him is with the help of a ladder i will make him feel my 90kg next time thou!!
    Thank you for the tips and keep them coming guys!

11. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

if he's taller, than you'll have to clinch his body if you can't reach. But definitely go for his neck first. Also, you don't want his entire body hanging off your neck. Keep him away with straight knees at every opportunity to disrupt him. When the right moment comes clinch him. Also you might want to "climb" up on him if you can. Jump up if you have to and try to angle your body and jump away from his knees. Keep your hips glued to his and if you feel a knee coming, post out your leg against his leg so his leg is stretched out behind him. Basically you're "grapevining" or gaining an attachment to his leg to prevent him from throwing a knee. Think sticking hands of Wing Chun but except this is sticking legs.

12. SoKKlab

Yeah,
    Good point Nicolo about keeping your hips close.

Ideally cioGium, you want to try to keep your feet inside his in the Clinch and hug him tight to you, this will negate alot of his Knee-ing.

If he can't get his Hips back to throw powerful knees, then all he's going to be able to do is throw small 'Rabbit Knees' or side knees with low power at best.

From the Close Hug position, Grapevining etc becomes Good Practice for Neck Wrestling surprises.

Also Push over Throws from the Clinch (Giant Fells the Girl etc) are useful if you have the Low Position (one hand high one low)on his body. All good stuff that you'll love learning and doing.

Watch out for Elbows coming from above, keep your head tucked in tight and dig your chin into his chest for extra leverage.

Same goes for the Beer Barrel style Side Suplex thing from the clinch, tuck in tight, pick up and throw (Imagine Picking up a Heavy Beer Barrel, tilting it to one side and then throwing it down).

I take it that you are just playing/ training so too hard a contact probably isn't appropriate.

But for your own benefit, look for opportunities to Fire elbows up the middle, particularly Rising Elbow (Sok Hud/ Gnad) to his Chin, he's just ripe for those kind of shots.

Use one Hand spread out on his Pelvis to push him away from the close hug position and to create distance and fire Rising Elbow to his chin simultaneously. If you are being friendly, then just tap his chin upwards to make a point and for the practice.

Even if you are playing he'll get the message and you'll get to work strong elbows on the inside. Good Luck

Last edited: Jan 21, 2004
  13. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Some great advice here as usual.

I was just going to add that when you check him off at the hip (either one handed or double handed) make sure that your fingers are to the outside of his hips. It may seem a small point but stops you breaking a finger. So essentially you are using your palm on his hip.

Your can check off using the hand the same side as the knee he's about to throw or the opposite (i.e. a cross check). Fingers to the outside in both cases. So in the same side scenario your thumb will be up, in the cross check you thumb will point down.

When you check off your arm wants to be slightly flexed but rigid too.

As for the timing its best to do it as he's setting up the knee or whilst throwing it... not very useful after its hit ;)

I quite like to wait until the knee is on its way, its a bit dangerous of course in case you screw it up but then he's only on one foot and you can really disrupt his balance. You won't have the choice if the guy knows his stuff anyway!

For someone that is much heavier and taller than me I would definitely want to keep in close to his hips, once he has you head down its quite hard to recover due to the wieght difference. You probably want this to be your automatic response if you train with a big swine like I do i.e. the minute you feel him going for the clinch get in close.

Clinch training is a real laugh. Brutal but fun. There is definitely much more technique to it than many people think.

Dred

14. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

Keep in mind you're only keeping your hips glued to his when you are either nose to nose with him or if you find yourself eating a lot of knees in the gut. Still you should not simply rest and stay glued to his hips forever - you must continue working for a better position. Personally, I like to gradually work the opponent up against the turnbuckle if possible to stop him from creating space. This is sort of the equivalent of "mounting" him if we were on the ground. I keep my hips glued to his in order to minimize the effective range of his knee attacks and when the moment is ripe, bounce my hips away to create space and then strike with my knee. Keep him busy up top with clinch attacks, bounce off suddenly and fire a rear knee (if possible). Of course it is also possible to fire off a whole volley of knees in this position as well.
    Use your opponent's head or neck as an "anchor" for equal and opposite force. Bounce your hips back, dragging his head/neck area with you and fire a knee.

Clinching is essentially stand-up grappling so you need to develop good sensitivity and feel your opponent's movements.
    Before you obtain a neck clinch, you would usually have to go through his guard and that would mean punching through the mid-range to close range. If you know how to chi sao/look sao like Wing Chun sticky hands, use that to momentarily "immobilize" and swim through his hands to secure a clinch on the inside. You can also clinch his guard/hands/arms instead of his neck and pull him over. Use lots of zoning away and angling of the body and wrench his head around and spin his body to keep him off balance.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2004
  15. cioGium

cioGium New Member

And because good things are not for ever....my muay-thai instructor vanished!! We haven't hear anything from him for 1 whole month now and i don't know if he ever comes back :cry: .
    I stick with my boxing training for know where i go every day monday to thursday. Hopefully some day i will find a good muay-thai instructor :rolleyes: .
    I will keep throwing those roundhouse kicks and knees at my heavy bag.

All the best and good luck with your training.

p.s. i've been into so many styles until know i am feeling like a dojo hoper :Alien:

16. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

vanished? abducted? How can a man just vanish?

17. cioGium

cioGium New Member

Well we haven't heard from him for 1 whole month: he has his mobile phone closed, doesn't answer the home number, nobody answers the door at his home......he just vanished!
    I know it sounds weird but this is what happened! :Alien:

18. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

Did you tell the police?

19. Nukie

Nukie New Member

Vanished??
    Fraid not cioGium, the ransom is 50 crates of beer and 10 bottles of vodka and some crisps (salt and vinegar) and peanuts, oh and coke to mix with the vodka... (coca cola, no cheap alternative)

Yeah, tell the police too.. although sort the ransom bit out first.....

:woo:

20. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

Damn this sounds really strange....

Hope he comes back

good luck with your training....