The dilema thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cavallin, Jun 12, 2006.

1. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

personally it might just be me, but i think we need a problem page.
    because most problems can be temporary.
    post something that you want other people's opinions or advice (like which job to pick or whether you should dump ur gf/bf or not)

please can we keep it serious as well cos otherwise it's not fair on the people who have a real problem and people are taking the mikey.

(does any one read the problem page on the back of the Sunday times style magazine? thats hilarious anyway...)

i'll start: and i think il prob be the main user of this lol

i wanted to do teacher training this sept, and applied for a thing with a school, but it didnt work out because the uni supporting the school said they couldnt accept my subject due to lack of facilities. it says in their course handbook they accept it in exceptional circumstances. so i've left them a message asking what these are and am waiting to hear from them.

i've looked at other providers and pretty much all the deadlines are gone and the courses are really popular and you need to go to an interview etc...
    i don't know how clearing works and such...
    most pgce/gtp (teacher training) applications cost money so i can't really afford to apply to lots and is it worth applying late?

i just hate applying in a rush, yet i know that if i keep putting off applying (i did last yr) i'll never get round to it...but then again im young.

iv received a mixed response
    1) ur only 22 u got ur whole life ahead
    2) you shud go for it asap you'll kick youself for not doing it otherwise

i'm not really sure now. part of me is too lazy and unmotivated to really go for it, part of me is a perfectionist and i'd rather apply properly with a good portfolio (this happened last yr too, i had no time to deal with it for other reasons) and the rest of me feels like i shouldn't expect things to be that easy and should keep fighting till i get someting.

my main needs and wants atm are to get a car and move out, and gain my independance. the sooner i get my career sorted the sooner i can do that.

i know these kind of things make you answer your own questions, but what do you thnk i shoudl do?

i guess if i get any old job now just to get money to move out n get a car, then i can concentrate on building a port folio on the side and applying for 2007 entry super early.

or i could just kick myself into gear and just apply to everything and go mad trying to get a space...which wil require will power..

oh and the other thing is that i cant really keep my current job as they are cutting everyones hours like mad. im just a bit worried that my CV will look dodgy if i've changed job every 5 minutes. i almost get a new job every yr!!

please help me. i dont know what to do.

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

First off, don't worry about the new job every year thing.

My work history was more than sketchy while I was in college. Landscaping company, office work, production work for whoever would hire me, odd jobs, etc. Everyone was in college once, and even though it's nice to have a steady job in your feild in college, it's not that big of a deal. Just be up front in your interviews and let folks know what happened with you.

What I would do if I were you is to bust **** and try to put together a complete portfolio (not entirely sure what you are putting together here, it seems like you are trying to get into art school, but are talking about teaching? What kind of portfolio would you need for teaching?) that you are happy with ASAP. If you get something you are satisfied with, then go ahead and apply. If you don't, then keep working on it IMMEDIATELY and get something really nice together, that way when the time comes to apply next year, you can submit it ahead of time and be in the clear.

You should be working hard now to acheive your goals, but you have your whole life ahead of you to make some mistakes and learn things. As long as you are accomplishing something and enjoying your life, you can't be going wrong.

Don't worry too much about the independance thing. I'm 23 and still live with my folks (do have a car though) and am using the time to stash money so I can buy a house when I move out, and stash money for my retirement. I think it's been a good choice for me, but the time for me to move the hell out is approaching swiftly.

3. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

thanks yohan. hey you've helped before :) well, even if it's to teach art or design and technology, you still need to show a portfolio of your skills, because you need to show what you are capable of teaching aswell.
    i think that being realistic there is simply no way i can produce something decent enough, and i'm going to apply for 2007 right now, just like you said, because then i will have done it. i can get any job and move out n get a car, which can be my next goal.
    i have to have goals, thats why im upset this hasnt worked out. but even though its taken me 2 yrs im gooing to do teacher training eventually, and thats what matters.
    thank you! im really happy now that i know what im goin to do.
    now im going to job hunt too and apply to my original course.

4. philp

philp New Member

Don't forget, a huge part of reaching a goal is to keep adapting to things that hinder you from reaching it. Keep going, make sure that when you do go for it, your portfolio is the best that you can make it. It took me ages to build mine up (I'm now a proffesional graphic designer) but I made it the best which means I stood over the people that had hashed theirs together quickly.

I think you've made the right decision to apply for next years course, giving yourself time to build something decent.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do :).

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Is it that you have material for your portfolio and just have to put it together,or do you actually have to generate new materials?

6. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Exams/revision doing my head in. They are only until the 29th June but any tips to help make the time easier? Doing 4-5 hours revision a day is essential to do well but it just sucks so bad....

(These are A-levels by the way)

7. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

i owuld give yourself plenty of treats and breaks. like after a really long session, give yourself a treat like a movie or takeaway or chocolate/ice cream related is always good! or a woman :p

8. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Hmm sounds good. I might have to invest in some Ben and Jerrys as a potential treat...

Saying that, last woman I treated myself to pressed charges :cry:

9. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

My sister is in the process of sorting out teacher training at the moment. She got in touch with them once and they kept pestering her, I think they are desperate for teachers in the Uk.

She is going to do teacher training as a post grad, she not long finished her Physics degree so she only has to study for a year or so. That seems an easy way to get into teaching.

10. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

thats what i want to do, but you'd think what with them being so desperate for teachers (and especially that design and tech is a shortage subject!!) that they'd actuALLY be a little more helpful... ah well. all is sorted now i feel a million times better

11. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Nice one, best of luck with that too.

12. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

am i being unreasonable?

i knew i'd be the only one using this thread, but i dont carfe, it serves its purpose for my whinging.

ok, so heres the low-down:

my bf has gone away for 3 weeks on a tour of europe with a few mates. before he left i made him promise that he would ring me once a week. his dad bought him some international minutes for this purpose, which was nice of him!

michele thinks *ooh i guess he'll ring me mid-week everyweek, that should be nice*

so he left monday, and its sunday and i havn't recieve a phone call yet, so i text him, saying "it would suck if u didnt keep ur promise" or sumit along those lines.
    and he text me saying "you could have called me"

* except ur dad buys u minutes on purpose to call me, and it costs me 40p a minute to call you in the UK so god knows how much it will be abroad*

"well its only been 6 days, thats not really a week"

*well its all right for you living it up, but i kinda miss you here*

"ah well, lol i'll ring yah tomorrow, im busy and all that"

* grumble...before you left it was all oh ill mis you, i promise ill ring you...now this..*

:( so am i unreasonable for being ****ed off at him. should i explain my feelings to him when he rings me

oh and another thing, im busy tomorrow afternoon shopping, so im the one thats gona have to fit into his holiday schedule now and just randomly stop for a phone call in town just cos he couldnt be bothered to call me this week when i was free every afternoon because i was waiting for his darn phone call!!!

13. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

one answer...he's a guy : )

definatley tell him how you feel, my dad did exactley the same to my mum when he went to france for a couple of weeks

and i know how you feel about missing him, i met my boyfriend whilst i was on holiday in Cuba recently, even though id only known him 2 weeks i feel like ive known him forever, and i miss him soooo much, writing letters or talking on the phone isnt the same as having that person with you.

14. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Nah, you're not being unreasonable, you're just having a difference of perspective with him. Your perspective is that you're stuck at home and stressed about work while he's off having fun and you need a bit of support. His perspective is that he's trying to take a holiday and be there for his friends and he needs to be released from responsibilities for a while. If he were posting here he'd probably say "I feel rude abandoning my mates who I've gone on holiday with to have a long conversation with my girlfriend if they want to do something as a group". It's not that he doesn't care enough to phone you, he probably just needs to pick a time when he doesn't have to appear antisocial to do it.

Your best bet is not to moan at him when he phones, otherwise he'll just feel that you're putting a downer on his holiday. Just say how nice it was to talk to him and you hope he'll phone you soon.

If he doesn't, you can always kick his ass when he gets home - and then he can't escape!!! :woo:

15. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

go to bed with his dad

16. Moosey

You are Michelle's boyfriend's dad, and I claim my five pounds.

17. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Moosey: You broke me, I have to know what on earth your avatar and "Frolics in brine" are about :D

Cavallin: My GF is off in Ibiza for 2 weeks with her mates going out sunbathing during the day and clubbing with her friends at niht getting drunk, you think you've got worries :D

Seriously though, try not to worry about it, at least you are in touch with him via text. It can be hard to let people go on holiday and leave you behind stuck with work and holes where teeth should be but the last thing you want to do is put a downer on there holiday.

Ultimately it's only two weeks, you really need to learn to deal without them for a couple of weeks or you will start to be come clingy and maybe start to make them like you less.

Also, for the record, Medi is a male whore. (Yes I'm jealous)

18. Yes.

19. Moosey

YES! I win! :D

It's a clip from the cursed video in "Ring". You all have a week left to live... HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!! :yeleyes:

20. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

I love that movie... I watched it with a 102 degree fever, totally delerious, sweating and having squirty plops all over the place.