the best martial arts quote?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by jess869, Jan 6, 2006.

1. jess869

jess869 New Member

i dont know if this has been asked before but i couldn't see anything under the search feature...

i just wondered what are peoples favorite martial arts quote and what are your opinions on the ones we hear over and over again such as;
    "The ultimate aim of karate lies not in victory or defeat but in the perfection of the character of its participants." - Gichin Funakoshi

my personal fave ;
    "If you don't realize you can kill someone with a bokken, I don't want you using one in *MY* dojo..." - Frederick J. Lovret

any thoughts?

2. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

Check the philosophy section- there's a thread active there that is almost identical to this one.

3. jess869

jess869 New Member

merci

4. Lexxorcist

Lexxorcist New Member

This is probably posted here somewhere, but it's one of my favourites:

During the civil wars in feudal Japan, an invading army would quickly sweep into a town and take control. In one particular village, everyone fled just before the army arrived - everyone except the Zen master.

Curious about this old fellow, the general went to the temple to see for himself what kind of man this master was. When he wasn't treated with the deference and submissiveness to which he was accustomed, the general burst into anger.

"You fool," he shouted as he reached for his sword, "don't you realize you are standing before a man who could run you through without blinking an eye!"

But despite the threat, the master seemed unmoved.

"And do you realize," the master replied calmly, "that you are standing before a man who can be run through without blinking an eye?"

5. KSprenk

KSprenk be

anything from Master Splinter :D

6. traz

traz New Member

I made a funny?

7. gutsglorydesire

gutsglorydesire New Member

"Years ago we hardly had anything to eat. Now I earn more money and I see every opponent as a man that tries to put me back to that poorer period. That man has to be eliminated "---Fedor

8. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

"Judo is girly sport" - My sambo instructor after I informed him I'd be taking up Judo. After I pointed to my skirt and bounced my chest a bit to demonstrate he said, "It is perfect for you then, no?"

(paraphrased loosely from Mandarin) "If I hit you, you hit me back harder." - My brother, explaining the intricacies of Muay Thai to me when I was a little girl

"Ippooooooon!" - After throwing a girl in my first Judo match in Japan. I dont think the ref was happy I called my own ippon and started dancing around the mat like an impertinent brat, but he gave it to me anyway.

"What the hell else do you think we do in the cold? It's either practice to wrestle or visit whore in Novosibirsk and we get less rash on mat (ringworm) than in bed." My beloved, cranky Sambo coach again.

"So Rose, you do that Karate stuff, eh?" "Yeah, you could call it that." "What's your ultra-secret favorite ninja move?" "Elbowing people." "What? That sucks. I bet you blow. Come on, hit me with your best shot." "Are you sure?" "Oh, hell yeah. I'm enough of a man to take anything." - Me and some random guy after seeing me shadowbox. "OW!!! What the *expletive* Hell?? That really hurt! I think my nose is bleeding or something." - Him after getting elbowed in the face.

"In Thailand there are three things worthwhile: 'massage', fights, and food. In that order." -American fighter in Bangkok

Anything said on Walker, Texas Ranger. Ever.

9. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

A basketball playing college pal once asked me "Why don't you drop san shou and take up a real sport."

My answer "Becuase most sports only require one ball!"

10. BigBoss

BigBoss This is me, seriously.

"either work hard or you might as well quit" - MC Hammer, 'Can't Touch This'