That flippy thing?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by AsSaSiN, Jun 1, 2003.

1. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

That flippy thing

Hi,

Ive always wanted to do that thing when if ure on the floor, u snap your legs and flip up to your feet, a la bruce lee. I always thought u have to be at the peak of your physical fitness to do it. BUT... i was watching WWE earlier on (that right, i like wrestling), and i saw this 350 pound fat guy (Jamal) do it with ease! i mean trust me, for those of u who dont watch it, he is not fit! Hes a big belly! But it gave me confidence that i could be able to do it. Any ideas how to go about learning it?

2. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Ooh, a kip up!

I've kind of done one before (on the hard sand :D) , but don't really know how to.

3. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I can do it, but I guess it is easier cause I have long legs, I just roll up on my back and put all of my weight on my legs and lift my back up at the same time and lean forward and it works. Kind of the same way you would do an ollie on a skateboard except your body is the board, get it? This looks cool but if you are really in a fight there are quicker ways of getting up, I usually just roll backwards onto my feet.

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

It's called doing a "kip up".....

How to Do: Start by lying on your back, flat on the ground. Bring your legs back, curled or straight but your body should remain flat on the ground, in a semi piked position. Kick both legs up simultaneously and around in a semi-circle fashion, and bring your legs both down to the ground, allowing the rest of your body to follow and come up. Use your hands at the same time to push yourself up into the air. You should land at least in a crouching position with only your feet touching the ground

Try starting on something bouncy, like your bed so that you can get the feel of the whole motion first.

Rock on your back when bringing your legs up near your body, keep them moving and not static, that way, you build up some momentum before you launch into this technique.

When kick up and around, try to kick your legs under where your butt was originally situated. Don't kick out forward.

Keep your legs together so that when you plant your legs on the ground, you have a good footing and won't fall over.

Use your hands to push off of the floor. The farther you push off, the more time you have to land the kip-up.

Keep you legs straight when setting up, and tuck your legs to your chest before take off.

Don't start off too fast. You may end up overshooting or not leaping at all. go slow and feel the motion first.

Some helpful links:
    http://hem.spray.se/sammorling/kipup.html

The Jackie Chan way: http://jackiechanzone.virtualave.net/action/kip_up.html

Last edited: Jun 2, 2003
  5. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I learned how to do this on a trampoline, but I don't push up with my hands, I use my elbows and shift all of my weight forward.

6. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

Thanks folks, ill go and try that in a bit :D

7. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Have any of you guys seen the shaolin monks do this without using there arms. They seem to be able to do it by shooting out their legs and pushing of the floor with the back of their heads using their neck muscles.