Thanks to John Wick

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by icefield, Apr 3, 2023.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

One major difference I see with those weapons is that the striking part isn't long enough to swing back and hit the striker if they miss or rebound.
    In fact the two hinged weapons (as opposed to the flexible blackjacks/coshes) shown have been specifically designed with that in mind.
    You can just swing them full force without worrying to much where the hurty end will end up.
    Unlike nunchaku, which need all sorts of skill-based rebounds, returns and catches, on various parts of the body, to use safely.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

There is a very obvious design difference between these hinged bludgeons and flails and nunchucks: the length of the handle compared to the business end, allowing the wielder to hit people without constantly worrying about their weapon rebounding back on them.

Also, lead-weighted "life preservers" (sticks) were a lot more popular.

There's no evidence of nunchucks being popular in Okinawa, either. Certainly a lot less popular than sticks. How many nunchaku kata came from the Okinawan aristocracy compared to bo, jo, tanbo or hanbo? Is there any traditional nunchaku kata from Okinawa?

The idea of nunchaku being grappling weapons seems highly suspect to me. Getting a resisting opponent into a position for a lock/choke without being able to use your hands to grip is a crazy idea to me. Once your colleagues have already subdued them I can see that the leverage would make light work of keeping someone in place, but handcuffs or rope would be a lot more sensible.

I think pointing to police use isn't necessarily a definite indication of efficacy. Look at modern police batons: they are a pain compliance weapon that rarely work to make violent people comply, so are used as punishment on people not offering serious resistance, or who have already been subdued. They are corporal punishment devices rather than effective fighting weapons.

Grond likes this.
  3. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

when I did a bit of kobudo some time ago , the teacher claimed everything , including the nunchuck kata he was teaching , came from Okinawa.
    Unfortunately politics killed the group after about 6 months I moved on with life and never really spent any time verifying his claims.
    The techniques I do remember don’t involve a lot of twirly stuff , and on the subject of locks I’ve got a recollection of using a 2 handed block against an oi Zuni, think morote uke while holding nunchucks, and then rolling 1 of the sides over the opponents wrist to entangle them with the rope/chain to apply pressure.

David Harrison likes this.
  4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yeah, I do think nunchaku come from Okinawa, but I've read that there aren't any traditional kata for them. Maybe a karateka with good knowledge of history can chime in.

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I find it annoying that Nunchacku get thought of as a traditional Chinese weapon when they are not. They are only thought of that because of Bruce Lee's using them in movies = Movie Fu. I actually ended up leaving a CLF FB group because the Sifu who ran it was so annoyed that I politely asked him to give evidence of his claim that they were a traditional Chinese weapon. :rolleyes: He nad nothing for me except to say how dare I question him as a Sifu. I have run into this revisionist history of Nunchaku in multiple places.

It is all fine and well to make a modern adaption, but ADMIT the true origins and that it is Okinawan.

The closest equivalent I can make is that they are very similar to the Chinese weapon of the three section staff. When I learned to use them at my last level, I wasn't excited to learn them. Because I had heard stories of how everyone knocks themselves in the head and elsewhere learning to use them. What I found is that they are an extremely impractical weapon, but VERY FUN!

I have yet to see claims backed up that the three section staff, like what you all are saying about Nunchucks, really were widely used in a practical sense. And I would really need to see such evidence to believe it, because my personal experience tells me otherwise. We have a saying/ joke at my school that you aren't really a black sash until you have hit yourself in the head learning the three section staff! It is like a rite of initiation! I have yet to run into anyone, no matter how high a level of martial artist they have become, that did not bean themselves in the head and elsewhere multiple times learning to use it. I see the three section staff an nunchucks as very much the same in this regard.

That is why I think laws prohibiting both weapons are dumb and all about political perception, rather than any real danger.

To allude to another thread on MAP, it is completely ok to sometimes do something in a martial art because it is fun! Some things in my school are valuable practical self defense. Some develop other skills that are secondary, but help fighting skills. Some are just fun and that's ok. Just don't pretend it is practical for some false need to justify using them.

To anyone on this thread who argues that they are practical, I would ask if they have ever really used either a three section staff or Nunchaku for any length of time before arguing that assertion. Because, frankly, I highly doubt it.

Speaking of the fun of these weapons, I loved the movie Heroes of the East, which had lots of fight sequences pitting Chinese and Japanese weapons against each other. This was one of my favorite scenes.

axelb, David Harrison and Frodocious like this.
  6. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Surprisingly it would seem the oldest known kata for them dates to the 20th century. I can't help thinking that since kata are such a big thing that maybe there used to be some but they were discarded at some point. It is possible that as it wasn't a primary weapon they didn't bother,and just practiced the meat.

Our late local Okinawan Goju sensei could untie a belt with one.He said that was one of their training methods when he was in Okinawa-untying each other's belts.

Here's abit o' discussion-sorry ,ain't done a link in so long Ah done fergot how.

Kobudo kata origins? | Iain Abernethy
    Uhh....

While not popular-prob'ly cause they're a lousy weapon- they certainly exist in some CMAs and regions. As does the iron crutch,or tonfa. There are tonfa in Hung.

Simple weaponry spreads around.Did FMA get nunchaku from Okinawa? China? The Mr. Softee Ice Cream man? Who knows?

And "authorities" just believing whatever teacher says. Gag me.But in this case howe'er ignorant he may have been he was still correct.Jes cuz y'all don't actually know wut yer talkin' 'bout don't mean ya ain't right!
    Annoying?---

While we're at it I would request people ask their TC teachers to show evidence of TC fan forms pre 1980s-unless they say straight out that these were in the 80s taken from other systems or made up out of whole cloth simply to add form repertoire for popular consumption without adding anything to advancement of the system or the individual's skill development.

Ask for demonstration of the expression of p'eng,lu,chi and an therein. Or sha ch'i. These exist in the other TC weapons but I don't see them there.

You know I still love ya,sis.I hope.:rolleyes:

But i digress........

Not great but here's an article in BB Mag bout 'chuks.

History of the Nunchaku
    Or that they necessarily have any relation to the structure/theories/functional expression of the system.
    Most people are doing things strictly as a fun pastime anyway so it's moot.For serious practitioners a waste of time is a waste of time.Some stuff is.

I have known of people who did use the latter.1970s. Not trained.Did some damage in multiple instances of actual combat.Still a lousy weapon,tho'.

David Harrison and aaradia like this.
  7. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Thanks for the link to the article El Medico! That is all have asked for in the past, elsewhere. For people making historical claims to provide some sources. My google fu was coming up short. I will read it this weekend and get back to you. I am more than happy to rescind my annoyance if it turns out I am incorrect. :D

And, my friend and Kung Fu Brother, if you look back at my posts, you will see that I was taught that fans were a modern addition by my school. And I am pretty sure I never claimed they were otherwise. :) Again, modern adaptions are fine as long as no one claims they are ancient. As for what it adds in depth, that really is for another thread. And I am pretty sure we have had that discussion before? Love ya right back! ;)

Fans are just fancy, and slightly weaker short sticks, disguised. I actually love all sticks and staffs as weapons. Thoroughly enjoy using all of them I have been introduced to so far. Even the impractical ones. But the basic plain old stick is IMO one of the most practical weapons, particularly to adapt to modern times.

Further digression. Skip this paragraph to see me get back on topic. - My GM has developed a lot of both TCC forms with a lot of traditional Chinese Martial Arts weapons, but not traditionally used for TCC. Also some not traditional weapons. I am going to learn a TCC hook swords form next level. One of the most obscure ones is in my current curriculum. It is a sword cane form. (I am actually not too crazy about it. Not one of my favorites.) But we are always taught what the core traditional forms and other aspects of training are. And we are strongly encouraged to prioritize those, keep training them even as we are off learning the exotic newer stuff.

Respectfully, I do need more details of your friends who used Nunchucks in "actual combat" effectively to give that claim much credence. As in, how often did they use them effectively? In what situation? What sort of move was effective? I don't doubt they can be used to some good effect sometimes. I just really doubt the benefit could not have been achieved with a more practical weapon that had less danger of backfiring and hurting the wielder. And am curious why you still qualify that statement with saying they are still lousy weapons.

I guess the one thing I can say to contradict myself is this. If someone is going to spend hundreds of hours practicing with them, because they are fun. While they would not spend that time with a more practical weapon that isn't as fun to them, well, maybe for them the less efficient weapon becomes the more efficient one. Just because of the hours put into it?

I do think Nunchucks and three sections staffs help develop manual dexterity. And the ability to develop control over with an unwieldly weapon. So I think they do have some value besides the fun factor.

David Harrison likes this.