Thai boxing with a knee injury

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Tom1uk, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Tom1uk

Tom1uk Valued Member

Hi all,

I've been reading some posts and doing some online research. I have recently started Thai boxing, I'm about 4 weeks in now. Everything was going great until my right knee gave out on the right side of the knee cap! I have since rested it and returned to no avail! It seems to be ligament/tendon related, and only seems to effect me when I go to left kick or knee. I have started putting ice on my knee after training, which is taking the swelling & some of the pain away.

I think it may get easier as I loose more weight, and I have found that if I walk into the left kicks or knees instead of the skip, it's a lot better.

I was wondering if any if you had come across anything like this? And if you had any suggestions on treatment? Exercise's? Or knee straps? Anything that will help me build it up while continuing Thai boxing.

Thanks in anticipation

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I've been whining about my knee for years. All torn ligaments etc.
    Because of my right knee, I cant switch kick as I can't balance on the supporting leg. Really had to change my style.
    I got other stuff going on with it, my leg would lock or the knee will displace itself etc. I have to use a sturdy knee brace, that has metal strips to the sides of it, to keep it in place.
    Similar to what Stone Cold Steve Austin has on his knees.
    I dont know the extent of your injuries but sometimes physiotherapy is enough to simply strengthen the surrounding muscles.

It took me a while to find a rythm but I could do about 95% of exercises and techniques that are available to me.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I was watching you bob and weave a few weeks ago and you'd never know you had a major knee injury.

Sometimes you just have to work around these things.

4. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Knees are prone to injury in martial arts , go to your doc and follow orders or you might make it wose , is it a possibility your not spinning (pivoting) on your supporting foot as you kick? If not all the twist will be taken on the knee

5. Tom1uk

Tom1uk Valued Member

Thanks for the replies, I I think it's just ligament damage as it's only down the right hand side of my right knee.....i have found stepping instead of skipping has made a massive difference. But this obviously effects my range. I have tried resting it for around 10 days but it is no better.

6. Mushroom

As Zaad and FoD could testify, I seem to be able to do "big" movements. But kick/swipe a bit of paper from the floor and I'm writhing around like a Palhares victim.

But yeah, it took me a long while to get comfortable with changing my fighting style.

OP. Have you had it looked at? What kind of tear? If on right side of right knee cap thats the MCL? Which takes about 4-6 weeks to heal.

7. Tom1uk

Tom1uk Valued Member

I haven't had it looked at yet as I wasn't sure if they would do anything even if there was something wrong......I am dubious about this becoming a reoccurring issue though and don't want anymore down time. It's taken me years to get off my ass and do this.

8. Mushroom

Personally, (am no Dr) but I say get it looked at. 4 weeks downtown is actually not that long in the grand scheme of things.

9. Tom1uk

Tom1uk Valued Member

I have continued to train and on Friday it was mega painful again. However since then I've been using the deep freeze gel & I have to say what a phenomenal difference it has made.

10. Blanch

Blanch Banned Banned

If its ligament damage you definitely need treatment or you'll pay for it later on.

You end up overcompensating and doing permanent damage.
    I tore mine and 7 months after surgery its stronger than the other leg.

11. Tom1uk

Tom1uk Valued Member

Just an update on this, I took time to do lots of exercises that targeted the legs supporting assembly, and touch wood I seem to be getting stronger and now back to normal. Thanks for all of you that took the time to give me your advice and experience