Terry Brown's English martial arts

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Tommy-2guns..., Mar 26, 2007.

1. Tommy-2guns...

Tommy-2guns... southpaw glassjaw

hey, has anyone read or had any good reviews on this book? im considering buying it but it is quite expensive so i want to see if any of the WMA guys have read the book and found it informative or usefull?

cheers

Tommy

2. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

I have it and IMO it's a good read although I'm not a WMA guy so I could be wrong :D

3. Tommy-2guns...

ahh excellent, could you tell what the unarmed sections are like and perhaps quarterstaff as these are really all im interested in.

cheers

4. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

I have heard nothing but good things about that book. It's a bit old now, IIRC, but you're sure to get a lot of good info out if it. Mr. Brown is apparently a very impressive Martial Artist.

I'm planning on picking up a copy myself.

Best regards,

-Mark

5. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Hi Tommy

Haven't read it myself yet but it's had plenty of good reviews from what I've heard on other WMA forums....

Louie

6. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I have got it and thoroughly recommend it, it is a good book on a lot of basics of English fighting technique.

7. Ran Pleasant

Ran Pleasant Valued Member

I have not read it myself but I too have heard nothing but good things about Terry Brown and his book.

8. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Do you mean this book?

Well I can only comment as an interested outside rather than a practitioner of WMA (love to get involved but finding somewhere to train.....) but I love it. A student of mine gave me a copy a few years back and I refer to it all the time. The quarterstaff and bare-fist sections are in fact my favorite parts of the book.

9. Tommy-2guns...

Thanks for the responses all,your views on the book tend to be the general feel so i have ordered the book and ill see if i can give a good review (probabaly only of the pugilsm and wrestling as i know next to nothing on weapons) when im done reading it.

On a side note ive told the author about the Map meet on the 16th and he might possibly be interested in coming which would give WMA a showing it doesnt normally get.

cheers

10. Louie

Sounds great Tommy, Hopefully they can give him a slot to do a bit of a demo and some instruction.

Louie

11. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Now that is awesome. :)

-Mark

12. Terry Brown

Terry Brown Valued Member

>
    Hi Tommy,
    >
    I hope you enjoy my book:) Thanks to everyone else for their kind comments about it. Incidentally it has just gone into its third print run and is available from Anglo-Saxon Books (they have a website under that name).
    >
    I have just emailed Melanie to see whether or not it will prove possible to do something at the South of England MAP Meet in June, so hopefully I will get to meet some of you guys.
    >
    Best wishes,
    Terry Brown
    Company of Maisters of the Science of Defence

13. Louie

Hi Terry,

Welcome to the MAP!
    Hopefully the organisers can arrange something for the South of England MAP Meet.....

Louie