Terminology

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Shinobi no mono, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Shinobi no mono

Shinobi no mono New Member

I am just starting to get past all of the bull crap on the Internet and actually starting to learn Ninjutsu. I am going to get rid of most the information I learned on the internet and start over, but I need some help. Since I have to teach myself I would like it if some more experienced people helped me.
    I need to know the Terminology, Basics, Truth, Neccessities, and Budo of what it is to practice Ninjutsu.
    I do not need any smart or joking remarks, because I truely need to learn.

If you have any information or links etc. it would be most helpful.
    Thank you :D

2. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Hmm. I don't think you'll find what you are looking for here - I can't think of anyone who would advocate learning it on your own without a teacher. Heck, in that case even a video course is better :p

The first question that pops up in my mind is, what "ninjutsu" do you want to learn? Do you mean Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu?

In any case, training without a teacher is straight up impossible. Especially when it comes to arts like the Bujinkan. Just learning the pure basics in boxing, which appears easy at first glance, needs to be done under the guidance of a good instructor. And the Bujinkan basics are much more... complex.

Where do you live, by the way? Maybe there are some other martial arts in that area that you can train in until you get closer to a Bujinkan dojo?

3. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

Why do you have to teach yourself?

Seriously though, you can't. Get yourself to an instructor. If you want it that badly you'll find a way.

I'd also be interested in where it is you live...

4. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Try winjutsu.com and find an instructor.

5. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Immolation said:-
    But don't assume that just because there's no listing on that site near you that there isn't actually training going on somewhere close. For example, my website and I aren't listed on there and I sure as poop exist. :p

6. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Well with your monthly newsletter, how can we not miss you? :D

7. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Plug plug! :p Actually I'm working on the next one right this moment, chasing up some seriously obscure kanji despite being bruised, battered and generally ready to hit the hay. :Angel:

8. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Is that something reserved for UK residents only? :Angel:

9. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Course not. But be advised it's primarily aimed at being a reference for my own group rather than as a general Bujinkan newsletter. PM me your email address and I'll forward you the latest issue if you like (it's completely free, I just do it for my own enjoyment and also to provide information for my group).

10. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Done! :D

11. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

Dude. Get a clue! Are you a total moron? Have you not been listening to ANYTHING people are saying to you? It seems like you just ignore the truth of what people tell you, the truth being IT IS PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO TEACH YOURSELF A MARTIAL ART. IMPOSSIBLE. Stop and think for a minute. Why would there be not one, not two, but THREE organizations with hundreds of dojos around the world teaching this art if we could all just read books and practice in our mommy and daddy's backyard for free? Stop ignoring the truth in favor of what you want to hear.

Do a damned search and find a dojo. It's really not hard unless you're just some dumb 12 year old trying to show off your n1nj4 sk1llz to your clueless friends.

12. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

No personal attacks please Devil Hanzo...

13. Shinobi no mono

Well unless your reading skills are below that of a dumb 12 year old you would know that I posted that before anyone replied to it. I am not Psychic therefore I cannot tell the future. I think that you should get a grip on life and stop talking down to people like you're a god. And if you do continue talking down to people at least have your facts straight so you don't come off as a complete moron. "Oh Great and Terrible Devil Hanzo" :p

14. Shinobi no mono

I live in Texas and over the summer I am going to get back into the Southern 7 Star Mantis Style Kung Fu. :D

15. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Same goes for you... no personal attacks!

One more from anyone in this thread and I'll be handing out some temp bans.

16. Shinobi no mono

Should have posted this earlier but:
    By teach myself I meant that I would have to learn from reading, videos, and pictures.
    But since you all have made it clear that it would be nearly impossible to teach myself could you still explain to me a few terms.
    Like; what is henka, kata, aruki, kaiten/kiten,and koho tobi...for instance

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  17. Devil Hanzo

Those are all Japanese terms for "stop pretending you're a ninja and join a dojo because no one is taking you seriously".

Sorry. You're not going to get any serious answers when you say, "I want to learn 'Ninjutsu' through books and videos". You claim to do so much research? Then you should know by the mass amounts of wannabe ninja posts on the internet how ridiculous you're being.

18. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Shinobi, knowing what those terms mean will not really do much for you right now at all.

For example, aruki means walking :) If you want to learn Japanese, fine - that's something you can do on your own with books and other learning tools. And then you'll probably learn most of those words too. But I have no idea how knowing what those words mean right now would help you in any way whatsoever.

19. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

send me a PM

20. Devil Hanzo

Another thing he can use to impress his friends, that's how. You know he's not serious about it if he can't get into a dojo. 150 miles? If you can't get a ride then wait till you're OLD ENOUGH to drive. Shawn Havens emancipated himself from his parents at 14 to go and live with Hayes way back when.

If you had such dedication to training, you wouldn't be playing pretend.