Technique Set Discussion

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by KSW88, Sep 8, 2006.

1. KSW88

KSW88 Valued Member

As I stated in another post, its time we start talking about the higher level tehcniques (Jo Kyo Nym to Kwang jang Nym).

So, lets pick out a set and begin a discussion about it, details, variant ways of doing it, applications, ect.

What set do we start with?

2. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

puche sool( fan) techniques.

3. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

two questions

1st.
    on 6. the one where you put the fans on either side of neck on spin opponent, Is this a spin or is the tech to try and break trachae

On 7 or 8. the three strike technique, hand,side of neck, top of head. How were you taught to do this? what order of striking

Also PM me with the exact order, I know all of them, but between three teachers the order is confused.Thanks

4. KSW88

KSW88 Valued Member

Okay... your order is wrong, but that can be fixed easily. Number seven is the "spinning strike". This technique depends on who you talk to...as do most with KSW. For my experience, I use it as a choke against the trachea with the purpose of collapsing it. Some masters will choke againt the Coratid Artery for safety purposes. After that its a butt of the fan strike to the jugular notch (Chun Jang Hyul)

Number eight is a simoltaneous strike to in between the eyes and the collar bone (left inbetween eyes, right collar bone). Nine is a double clavical strike straight down.

Can any other Pu Sa Bum Nims and up out there give us some more Bu Chae Advice?

5. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I think that one thing to really think about is to remove all extra motions.

6. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Like..............I haven't seen toooo many extra motions, and all the ones that I 've seen were there to generate momentum.Could you clarify please. thankyou

7. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Take number 2 for instance. Do you make any extra motions to open the fan before shoving it into your partners face?

I'm sorry, but I thought it would clear that the extra motions would be associated with opening and closing the fans.

8. KSW88

KSW88 Valued Member

Makes sense, one big focus of mine is snapping the wrist to send ki to the end of the fan and ultimately into your opponent.

9. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

We've been told not to open the fan on two, there is no longer a "blinding" motion in the tech. sets. KJn's were clear on that, since they had just reviewed it and changed/or rather "updated" the tech.'s. Next please

10. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

My point would be the same for any technique that uses the open fan.

11. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

So, you'd get rid of #5, open fan to the neck.How would you change the technique

12. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I think you are missing my point. Hand needs to move from point A to B. If you move your hand first to some other point C to facilitate the opening of the fan, then you have extra motions and you need to figure out how to get rid of them.

13. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

I guess your right, I don't know what you mean, perhaps at tourny, or some other event we can discuss.

14. KSW88

KSW88 Valued Member

No more blinding...thats odd, that almost completely defeats the purpose of an unbladed fan. Now their just dahn bongs with frilly feathers!

15. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Sounds good. Sometimes it is difficult to talk about techniques in a forum such as this.

Don't know when I'll make it to Houston. Maybe this winter.

16. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

OK, how about number 10? I have seen this done different ways. The first way I did it was block the punch, then open them both at the same time and strike. I have since been shown a way where you open the left hand fan in a downwards motion whilst you block the punch and then just open the right and place on top for the double hit.

This way is much faster but I find it quite tricky to open the left fan whilst blocking as it hits their hand. I need more practice :)

17. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Try blocking with the mid forearm of the left arm.

18. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Use the fan like a mantis grab,while opening it. It will help you, if you aren't doing this already. Also try to "strike"right above the thumb.

19. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

One thing I find a little odd about this set is that not many of the techniques require a fan. Why not have fan techniques that use the uniqueness of the fan and a dahn bong technique set for the more generic short stick? Maybe it is all put together to cut down on the total number of techniques to memorize.

20. KSW88

KSW88 Valued Member

KSW_123

The fans are being used exactly how they're suppose to be used. They are clubs. When used for self defense they were folded up and used to strike. Really they only opened the fan to startle and potentially do the under the throat technique (4).