Technique Man Pinning Both Wrists in Mount Position Defense Strategy

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by fahid almuher, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Any thoughts?

He's obviously run out of BJJ videos to watch.

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

The worst thing about this video is the same fundamental issue with his other videos - he bridges straight upward and then turns his hips (demonstrated by Fahid at 4:00 in that video)

Under pressure this kind of bridging does not work. You will immediately be flattened out before you can turn.

Instead bridge toward the direction you want to travel e.g.

axelb, Dunc and Dead_pool like this.
  3. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yes if you want to do techniques that rely on a bridging motion in martial arts then this is a basic/foundational method you need to master
    And a great example of how Sensei Fahid and any of us might improve our ground technique from discussion on this forum

axelb and Mangosteen like this.
  4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Discussion is fine, putting bad videos out there which will get people hurt if they try them is quite another

Here's a helpful tip, don't put substandard videos out there which can get your viewers in deep trouble if they ever actually try them in the mistaken belief you as a teacher actually know what you are doing.

Just admit you have a hole in your game and send them elsewhere to train

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  5. Mangosteen

I think it's perfectly reasonable for an instructor to admit a gap in their skillset and then work on it, maybe along with students.
    Students shouldn't expect absolute knowledge from a teacher, a teacher should be a guide with more experience.

Teachers shouldn't act like they have absolute knowledge. When a student asks a question, it's perfectly acceptable to say "I dont know, let's try it out and see what problems we encounter and what an opponent can do"

It's how people learn, practice and strategise in other sports with teachers that arent as skilled in as students, even in chess!

Fahid - I keep throwing the same problem at you that I have encountered many times. Please consider trying this - when you bridge and roll, try having a student stick their hand out to keep balance. Tell me what solution you come up with for this problem.

axelb, aaradia, Dunc and 1 other person like this.
  6. Dead_pool

There's a difference between saying, you know what, my upa game is terrible because I've always relied on my shrimping to escape mount.

And not having any real grappling game at all and making it up whilst whilst occasionally copying something valid badly.

There's definitely a sense that he's been copying some WJJF material too, which is obviously not good either.

Dunc likes this.
  7. Dunc

Yeah you pose an interesting question: If someone is putting out instructional videos showing techniques for self defence or "free fights" then do you have a moral duty to make sure that your techniques are viable and don't put people into danger
    I think you do.
    However, I accept that we're far from perfect and we may be doing our best, but still fall short

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing ....

8. Dunc

Seems like we've lost Sensei-Fahid....
    That's a shame I thought it would be a good discussion and we'd all learn a thing or two

axelb, Mangosteen and Dead_pool like this.
  9. Dead_pool

Fixed that for you!

Dunc likes this.
  10. Mangosteen

I'm writing a really long thread (probably will be finished by the end of the week) that features Sensei Fahid's videos.
    I would love your, @Dunc and @Dead_pool 's, feedback.

Grond, Dunc and Dead_pool like this.
  11. Dead_pool

I'm up for that!

Dunc likes this.
  12. Dunc

:)

Dead_pool likes this.