Team MMA fighting is now a thing

Discussion in 'MMA' started by SWC Sifu Ben, May 14, 2015.

1. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

It'll be interesting to see if this continues and if so how it changes with people adapting to team fighting. Since there appear to be no weight classes I guess how you stack and sacrifice your guys against the opposing team would be a big factor tactically. An interesting tactic might be to stack your biggest guy against the other team's smallest and just have the rest of your guys stall on the ground until he finishes and then route the other side with sheer numbers as you pick them off. Going to the ground seems to work well but only until one of the opposing team finishes and comes to help his teammate.

It tends to break up into a bunch of single matches since it's relatively unconfined.

At the very least it's good to see kicks and knees to grounded opponents again.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVrOdTOs1RU[/ame]

2. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Well you guys, I guess it's time to start doing Wing Chun.
    Those sport arts won't work since there's more than one opponent.

In all seriousness, I think it will require a much more dynamic, scramble-based groundwork than we're used to seeing. Top position and sudden takedowns and subs will be a lot more important.
    It'll be cool to see people changing targets in the middle of combinations.

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I think kicks to a grounded opponent will become more useful.

It will be interesting on how fight stoppage is handled for the safety of the fighters.

Also see how the team tactics fit in. You kind of want folks protecting the flanks while your best fighter takes out one of the enemy until you gain a number advantage. See if that tactic works under the rules of the competition.

We don't train anything as much as in that MMA video. Our multiple on multiple sparring is very tame in comparison. We have a training rule to respect the technique so contact can be lighter.

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I think it's boring personally. Once a team loses their first member they're more likely than not going to be screwed. Especially if they go to the ground which is a really hard thing to avoid in mma.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Things like this are terrible for fighter safety, especially with grounded kicks allowed.