Teaching in the armed forces

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by jamie1976, Mar 24, 2007.

1. jamie1976

jamie1976 Valued Member

Im in the british army and im planning on teaching submission wrestling/grappleing while out on operations in Iraq. Because im teaching out there i wont be doing any sort of gradeings but at the same time want the lads to feel their acheiveing somthing anyone got any suggestions?

jamie :woo:

2. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Get your company, regimemntal or squadron clerk to make up a certificate with the subject matter covered, try and get hold of some decent papaer, shineyarses do F all else anyway. (don't say that to them though ask nicely)

3. sholo86

sholo86 Teoul Moon Kung Fu

Are you doing this as a part of training requirement for your unit or is this just something you want to do to to help your fellow soldiers improve their combat skills? If this is a unit requirement, then a Certificate of Training is appropriate. If not, then just the knowledge that they learned some wrestling/grappling techniques under your MA System is good enough.

4. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

IF you're around an US Forces ask who the "Combatives" instructor. The US Army has a 4 tiered training starting with submissions.

Where ya heading to BTW? I'll be in Balad by this Summer.

5. jamie1976

jamie1976 Valued Member

im off to iraq basara as far as i know but things change at the last min with my reg.
    i think i'll proberly just keep it relaxed and just tell them what grade they'ed be able to achieve as this isnt a part of trainning its just somthing i want to do to help my boys out and fight off boredom when we aint got wrk on.
    if i see any us forces on our camp then i might look into joining in on their lessons see what i can learn from them and what i might be able to teach them.

jamie

6. alister

alister Huh?

I'd steer clear of any type of "grading" scenario - just structure a programme with learning objectives set at various periods - say monthly. So, just an example:

After month 1, you will be able to:

- demonstrate a head clinch (or whatever)
    - demonstrate 3 basic take-downs
    - Demonstrate 2 escapes from guard
    - Maintain cross-side

After month 2, you will be able to:

- demonstrate 2 escapes from mount
    - demonstrate 3 submissions from the mount

etc etc - that way you can structure your lessons - have a little test at the end of each month and a criteria that the guys can reference. That should be enough - you can then look back and see what you've covered - assuming your posting in theatre is 6 months, all will be really surprised what they will have covered in that time.

Good luck with it - and good luck out there to all of you - stay safe.

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Just to point out... there are no gradings in sub.

I work on a civillian/military site and I teach sub fighting two lunchtimes a week to a mixture of civvies/forces guys. The guys seem to just enjoy the training.

If you can, the US marines run the 'MCMAP' (Marine Corp Martial Arts Program):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MCMAP

If you could join in that, it would be good :) Also the US Army have started to develop a 'modular' combatives program (it has a number of modules somewhere in the 'teens'). Some of the modules are based on BJJ and Boxing, so that could be interesting, as mentioned ask for their 'Combatives' Instructor.

If that doesn't pan out a combination of Doug's certificate idea and a syllabus would be a good one :)

8. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

Why not have a 'competition' at the end of it? No winners, just everyone trying their hardest and give out a certificate of participation.

9. jamie1976

jamie1976 Valued Member

good ideas!!

love the idea about the comp at the end of the tour will defo mention that to me boss an see if i can arrange sumit like dat. the no grading jus tests monthly is a good idea too think il do it that way it definatly most simple an affective.
    thanx for all the ideas guys!

10. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

If you are looking at practical value for the guys from your training rather than just physical skills and workout then I suggest you progress people to trying techniques in webbing and armour. I'd caution for safety purposes filing the webbing with soft items - make one partner not wear any gear. I can do all my stuff in full webbing whether I'm carrying in the high port or not. I'd stress that this is only practical if you're envisaging someone possibly having to use the skills during an arrest. Fun to play with though. :Angel:

11. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

If you're going to have a comp definately leave it until the end of the tour.

There is no such thing as 'No Winners' in the Army ;)

12. Kew-Do

Kew-Do Valued Member

Level system and a patch for their shirt

13. jamie1976

jamie1976 Valued Member

love the idea of trying it with webbing and body armour on even though we proberly wont get to do much arrest ops as we're only engineers bt cud help when out of camp if anything happend like attempted kidnaps and stuff gunna start teaching a small class when i get back off me pre tour leave so ive not got a class of total beginers. also like the level system idea i'll have to try these ideas out and see how it gose :woo: