Tea!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Mitlov, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

For the tea fanboys and fangirls out there:

(1) What's your favorite of tea?
    (2) What's the best tea you've ever had, and where did you have it?
    (3) What's the best tea you've ever had that is available for online purchase?

For me, I generally prefer long jing (Dragonwell)--a magnificent variety of Chinese green. But the best variety of tea I've had so far was the Opus sub-brand of Zhena's Gypsy Tea (www.gypsytea.com)--they had this selection of jasmine pearls that was just mind-blowingly good. Unfortunately, it look's like ZGT has shut down the Opus line, and so I'm fishing around for new distributors of really, really good tea.

2. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Erm
    1 Tetley
    2 Psilocybin mushroom tea
    3 turkish apple tea

3. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Cardamom Chai

Silver Needles

Iron Buddha

Dragonfly cup in sleeve green

4. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Remember the epic tea thread Doug? Trying to remember where it is!

I love the fragrant tea , the one where the petals unfurl. Prettea (see what Idid there? )

A big Oolong fan and I have a block of pu-erh in a really beautiful box with silk lining that I get out for special occasions.

5. adouglasmhor

I have some really strong pu-erh on the go now, it is real morning tea, 0 to wide awake in 0.00001 seconds.

I thought of that as well Lou.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  6. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Does bubble tea count? I drink way too much of that these days.

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Jasmine pearls? Gunpowder? I'm guessing the former because the "fragrant" comment. Yeah, it's a pretty awesome variety if you get the good stuff.

[​IMG]

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Ooooh, Gunpowder, haven't had that in ages, must get some.

Twinings English Breakfast loose leaf left to brew for a good 5 minutes is just the ticket.

Assam brewed for no more than 3 minutes (otherwise it goes bitter) is another belter.

A good Darjeeling is a thing of delicate yet flavoursome beauty.

I used to drink a fair amount of Lapsang Souchong, but seem to have neglected that recently.

With so many great teas out there, why limit yourself? :)

Mitch

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Mitch's English Breakfast is good.

Little Chef tea.

Any tea after being on holiday.

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Can't agree with you there Mitch. I like a good pot of Assam brewed for anywhere between five and ten minutes, til it's really rich and malty. Mmmm.....!

11. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Taylor's Yorshire Gold at its best is superb, but like all their teas it does seem to vary in strength a lot from bag to bag. (Yes, I know leaf tea is better than teabags, but I haven't drunk leaf tea for years, apart from some rather ropey green tea.) For consistent great flavour, I'd go for Punjana.

See previous answer.

No idea. I've never considered buying tea online, any more than milk or bread! :)

12. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Had a packet of loose tea this year. So much better.

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

It all depends on the time I have to make it.

For a good masala tea I'd go for a mix of hand processed and machine processed Darjeeling. Add ginger, cardamom, black pepper, clove and bay leaf. Bring to a rolling boil and boil until very dark black. Much darker than you'd normally brew tea. It has to be to survive the taste of the milk.

Once the boiling tea is black... add evaporated milk and sugar... bring to a boil again. You have to get the milk just right to get the consistency just right. There is no way to fake this... it's down to color and viscosity. It just takes practice. You will screw it up the first couple dozen times. :D

Then strain into a cup. Sublime. You can live off this stuff for a while if need be. I've done it before when in the field and sick as a dog.

Sometimes in the a.m if I haven't got much time I'll do a strong black tea and just add a pinch of sugar and black pepper. Especially on cold mornings.

As much as I'm a died in the wool espresso drinker... tea has always been part of my life. Some of my best memories are being woken up in Tibetan households and asked 'cha tonge?'

I miss it.

14. adouglasmhor

You ever had the Tibetan tea with butter in it Slip?

15. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

I expect in Tibetan households it would be pretty hard to avoid.
    Slip's description of the masala tea is interesting, I always thought black pepper and ginger were optional (perhaps used more in the Indian version than the Nepali?), and- possibly I'm imagining this - but I thought cinammon was in it?
    I'll give that recipe a go though as I live in search of perfecting masala tea :)

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Am I the only one here who thinks tea (of any variety) is minging?

17. puma

puma Valued Member

I came across a Chinese shop in the week. So I had a look around and saw a tea for curing coughs. As I've had a cold, and quite a bad cough lately, I decided to get some. It is very nice, but I don't think it is doing anything. Anyone else come across this? If so, did it work?

18. adouglasmhor

My mate Amir thinks tea and coffee are vile, he still makes me cups of tea even though I always shout "Jaldi Jaldi Chai Wallah" to him when he does it.*

*We have both been told of by people for racially abusing each other mostly by his sisters and various leftys. I was also accused of being a racist by someone (because i witnessed a car accident they caused) and he was my witness that I actually am not.