tatoo help

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by estranged13, May 27, 2005.

1. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

i'm getting another tattoo in a couple weeks, i'd like to get a blackbelt wrapped around my arm and i can't seem to find anything close to what i'm thinking on any of the usual search engines.

anyone here have any ideas?

2. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

SP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????

What kind of thing are you looking for, can you give a description?

If you don't get any luck on here, check out the forum in my sig. It'll get you lots of answers, and most people on there are from MAP.

3. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

as in a Martial Arts Blackbelt?

4. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

i suppose it would help

yes i'd like a martial arts blackbelt and then put the stripe on it for my 1st dan, later in life i'd have it touched up, and have a 2nd dan on it.

the thing is, the knot would have to be perfect and i dunno if i'll ever find that.

5. Drunken Miss Ho

Drunken Miss Ho New Member

If you are planning on getting a colored stripe over black ink later in life, that's not possible. the only way you could do it is to lengthen the ends of your belt as you put on more stripes. Have you thought about maybe doing something else to sybmbolize your rank? maybe a solid black band around your arm, and another for each dan? or the kanji for your rank, add the new one under or to the side of the old one, so they eventually form a band or vertical bar? I'm not dissing your idea, sounds cool to me, just trying to give you additional ideas.

Here's an okay one I found on google
    http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ev=/images?q=black+belt+tattoo&hl=en&lr=&sa=G

Last edited: May 28, 2005
  6. minimal

minimal New Member

I'm not sure I like your idea. I mean it's a good idea.

I just think it might be a big, noticeable tattoo, without much scope for subtlety (as you're filling in the whole belt with black. If you changed your mind (not to accuse you of being indecisive) it could be a difficult removal.

Perhaps if you did the outline only? You would be able to put red stripes into it, ideally also as outlines, it would be easier to get the knot just right.

You want sketches of it, the knot in particular, to get it right. Don't be afaid to consult lots of sketchess. Tattoo parlours have these in abundance, and the right place will not push you into doig it before you are ready and have had enough time and material (sketches) to make a choice.

R U guy or girl? (Profile doesn't say.)

Perhaps you could tell us what other tatts, if any, you have.

It's a big thing. Good luck in finding the right decoration for you.

7. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I'm just pretty much concurring with what was previously stated. Get lots of sketches until you're absolutely happy, and no color on top of black, it just won't work.

8. Slavist

Slavist New Member

Think carefully about it. Three years ago I was going to tattoo my favorite football club's sign on my back and something like "Slavs Unite" above it. I am so glad my parents didn't give me the money.

9. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

As a heavily tattooed person I would like to mention this, what you have to watch is the "detail" of the knot. With it being black it may not be noticable unless another colour was added around the knot to highlight / emphasise it and also bear in mind that in a few years time the black ink will bleed under the skin and spread so any fine detail may be lost and you could end up with a splodge, probably a good idea to check with Silat Pupil first as he seems knowledgable on tattoos to see if the ink does still bleed under the skin as tattooing has changed a lot since my first one was applied 29 years ago.

10. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

Talk to the tattoo artists in your area and give them an idea of what you want..A good artist can do a free hand, it won't be cheap but it will be worth it..

11. xen

xen insanity by design

i was skeptical at first, but the google link a few posts up looks good. i like the way the shading has been used both give the appearance of heavy material and also to make the detail of the knot itself stand out.

the badge forming a centre piece is also a nice touch, as is the kanji on the belt itself.

be sure to post a pic when you do get the design you're thinking of and we can give you some constructive feedback before you bite the bullet.

i've a feeling it's the sort of idea that could either look really good or really bad...

good luck

12. hux

hux ya, whatever.

>>i've a feeling it's the sort of idea that could either look really good or really bad...

yea, that's my thought exactly...

13. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Mate, when you get it tie your blackbelt loose, take it off and take a photo of it.

14. Drunken Miss Ho

Drunken Miss Ho New Member

My tattoos are not that old (7 years) and they are solid black, no fine line work at all, but the one on my arm that sees the most sun has already started to go downhill. It's true that the more detail you have, the less pretty it looks in the long run. Your tattoo's longevity also depends a lot on after care and the skill of the artist.

15. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

Good idea!! You could just bring it in and show it to them too..