Taoist Tai Chi

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by BazC, Feb 23, 2008.

1. BazC

BazC New Member

I've just started a Tai Chi class with the Taoist Tai Chi society. They teach a form of Tai Chi developed by Moy Lin-shin based on Yang style Tai Chi.

I'd like to find a DVD or even a book to refer to between lessons because I find I don't remeber the movements perfectly. The problem is there doesn't appear to be anything published on this style of tai Chi even by the Taoist Tai Chi society.

I was wondering if a DVD on Yang style would be close enough to help with my practise between lessons? This DVD has some good reviews but I've no idea if it is anything like the style I'm learning.

I'd be grateful for any advice!

2. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

There are literally hundreds of different forms out there. Trying to find a video with the specific form you're trying to learn is like finding a needle in a haystack while blindfolded and chained to the ceiling.

Your best bet is to ask your instructor if there's anything out there to help you. My first instructor used to recommend videos made by the guy who taught him, so there's definitely a chance that something out there exists. I just wouldn't try to find it on your own.

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Also, you might ask your teacher if he would be willing to let you record him demonstrating a brief section of the form for you to take home and practice.

It's worth a shot.

4. BazC

BazC New Member

Thanks for the advice, my next lesson is tomorrow so I'll see how I get on. Thanks again!

5. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

They sell at least a large spiral bound book w/Moy doing the form.I'm sure your instructor has some or can get you one.

And I hope you're aware you won't learn a martial system from the TTCS.They are strictly an exercise group.

6. BazC

BazC New Member

Thanks El Medico, I'll ask my instructor tonight. Yes I was aware they are a strictly non martial group.

7. whoflungdat

whoflungdat Valued Member

Hi Baz the Taoist form and the Yang form are very very different. As a Yang practitioner I find it very hard to work out which move is which in the Taoist form even at the block level. So don't bother buying a DVD of Yang.

cheers & good luck with your training. :)

8. BazC

BazC New Member

Thanks a lot for the info! I'll see if my instructor can suggest anything.

9. MHS

MHS New Member

Taoist is incredibly different from Yang style even tho based on it

A chart of the 108 form may help you in remembering but a DVD would confuse you

TTC is incredibly mechanical & robotic in my opinion to the point where it cant truly be said to be Taiji

I'm not trying to be rude, but would strongly recommend you look elsewhere to learn taiji if thats possible

10. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Hi,

And why?

There are many forms that TaiJi Quan takes, from TCCS to extremely martial based.

Within that, there is something for everything. No 2 people are looking for the same thing from their MA.

BazC has indicated awareness of the non martial aspect taught.

Carys.

11. MHS

MHS New Member

Hi

Sorry I'm new here & I realized my post may have come across as arrogant or condescending so sorry if it did

The intent was to be helpful

BazC here's a link which u may or may not be helpful

http://www.amazon.com/tag/master moy lin-shin

It would have been far better to say
    It could be a good idea to check out some other styles or schools
    & see which one suits you best
    Master Moy changed the form a lot & not just the Martial aspect
    so possibly a more 'traditional' may be better if you want to learn the health & relaxation aspects of the art

All the best with your taiji training

Here's a link to a yang performance
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyiZe6oQBPA&feature=related"]Taiji 24 Forms by World's Champion æŽä¿Šè二åå››å¼å¤ªæ¥µæ‹³ - YouTube[/ame]

I'm absolutely not saying this is the best out there
    & it's a far shorter form than the one your learning
    Just added it as a comparison
    Unfortunately I couldnt find a video of Master Moy's style

12. BazC

BazC New Member

Thanks for all the help! I live in a fairly rural area so I'm not hopeful of finding any other classes but I'll take a look if I can, thanks for the suggestion!

13. whoflungdat

The Baked bean 24 form as shown in the clip was created for sport not for Martial reasons or health reasons.

As was the Yang 40 short form, the master who created it was asked by the government to create a form that could be used in the Olympics, that would be easy to learn. Again it was not created for the usual reasons that are associated with Tai Chi.

If you want to find out if the form you are learning has health value when you perform wave hands like clouds (just an example) ask your teacher what meridian it is effecting? the answer should always be the same, unlike the martial application, which can have many perfectly legitimate answers.

14. MHS

MHS New Member

I posted that clip just so BazC could have a comparison

There's a couple of factual inaccuracies in your statement

But I am interested to learn what the one meridian is that's affected by yun shao

15. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Valued Member

I actually just found tai chi society in my area well over the boarder but it is the same society. question? not sure if you could answer this or not but do that teach just forms of tai chi, xing i, baqua or do they teach the actually application along with the forms work.

16. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

Luckily if you don't have any meridians, you don't have to worry about it.

17. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

I stopped using Meridians years ago. They moan, are lazy, do half assed jobs and complain constantly about levels of pay. Seriously, Phillipinos are miles better. And don't get me statrted on MERmidians - the ones that leave fish scales everywhere, not the ones with black sails that like invading other people's countries.

18. whoflungdat

bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (oh!! I think I'm gunna chuck) ha ha ha ha ha!

thanks you just made my day :D :D :D :D :D

19. whoflungdat

Ok, but I'm not good at names, what is Yun Shao in english (a part from a large Electronics company) ???
    I never used the word one as this would make my statement incorrect.

20. lieqi fan

lieqi fan Valued Member

feels like HT when I do it, but suspect GB might be involved also?