[Tang Soo Do] Red Belt Test

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by KICKBOY, Jul 16, 2006.

1. KICKBOY

KICKBOY Valued Member

Red belt test, my school is a member of the ITF and Moo Duk Kwan. When the test started I was very nervous, we started with basic techniques back and forth across the Do Jang. Then we went to combinations like front kick, side kick and turn back kick. The next drill we had was kicking; jump front kick, step up side kick and turn hook kick.
    The next test was forms; first we did Pyong Ahn Sa-Dan and then Pyong Ahn O-Dan.
    Then we went into our Ill Soo Sik and Ho Sin Sol.
    Then came the best part of the test, Deh Ryun I spared a friend from another school (it was a two school test) he was pretesting for E Dan. We did not wear any protective gear and no hard contact, we had the whole floor and were both able to execute good combinations it was a major stress reliever.
    The last part of the test was breaking, my break was Yup Ho Ri Gi, I had been practicing and it went very well. I even have it on video (my red belt son took the video).
    The test really pushed me. I made some mistakes and had some better than usual techniques, a little yin and yang.
    I feel very fortunate, I love Tang Soo Do, and I have a teacher I respect greatly and a class that is a true family. The whole experience was humbling but very positive. KICKBOY

2. DCombatives

DCombatives Valued Member

Congratulations!

3. Levi

Levi New Member

Good job, keep it up.

4. kayperTSD

kayperTSD New Member

Hi:

Our school has also been ITF, though recently broke off.

When my son tested for red belt, and when my daughter tested for green, our Sabom Nim put them through the ITF test, then had a "post-test" test for each of them. His rule at our school is that whenever you change trim color (red/green/blue) you take the official gup test AND you take a test specifically where he puts you through your paces. No one is allowed to talk about what is on the test, and only those who have already taken it are allowed to stay and watch the testing, or assist with it.

Do other schools do anything like this? Or for most is the gup test kind of the end of the testing?

Kay