Taking my shot at an mma career

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Southpaw535, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Dude, I just posted the pushup challenge in the Bodyweight training section. We're about the same place. Wanna race to 75? :)

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Haha sure bro :)

3. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

VERY COOL!!! I'm at 48 as of this morning! The deal in the challenge is one set to failure in the AM (as close to rising as possible) and one again in the PM (before bed). So I'll post my results this evening!

LOOK OUT MAN! I'M COMIN FO' YA! :woo:

4. Southpaw535

I'll let you know how the morning goes.

This is the part I'd like to flash my biceps but uh, even my rashguard is still a bit loose around the arms so yeahhhh

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

do what i did and buy a ladies rash guard (cos it was pink!)

btw to help in your MMA quest, i have a few unused (mens) rashguards, would you like?

6. Southpaw535

You're my new favourite person on MAP. How much you want for them?

7. Mangosteen

i was giving it away free... you can have it at map meet :)
    i realised i had bought it the wrong size (too small) after but they were on sale so didnt bother returning it! doesnt fit my lard-butt

8. Southpaw535

:love:

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

If you are looking to make this your career, remember you will have to have a good record in amateur MMA and them semi pro before any of the serious orgs will even look at you. Start slowly try a C class comp if they have them in your area, body shots only standing and on the ground this will allow you to get used to some hard shots to the body and legs and let you work your BJJ in a striking venue without too much fear
    Get plenty of amateur or semi pro events under your belt (no head shots on the ground, big gloves etc) before you attempt a pro event where strikes to the head are allowed standing and on the ground and smaller gloves are used. This will give you experience and confidence and allow you to build your skill set slowly (since you are young) when you speak to any of the visiting American fighters its an eye opener just how many amateur comps they did before turning pro, a fighter with a 1-0 pro record over there mioght have had 15 or 20 amateur fights.

Finally get to a wrestling class, wrestling is probably the most important skill you can learn especially in amateur/semi pro: the large gloves make knockouts harder standing so a few punches are exchanged and then boom you are clinching and with nowhere to run due to the small size of most amateur and semi pro cages here in the UK you will be in a wrestling match.. Also work a lot of cage takedowns and cage defence, because the cages are so small you will hit the walls quickly and fence work will play a large part in where the fight goes next.

likewise work your strength and conditioning hard

10. Southpaw535

Thanks for the advice man. I have no intentions at the moment of leaving my gym and they make you fight 8-12 semi pro fights before they'll even think about letting you go pro. From what I remember the one who works as a matchmaker also makes sure you get a couple you're unlikely to win to make sure you get used to dealing with a loss. Was thrown by that at first but it seems like a good idea.

I'll do my best to get to the wrestling. Probably give it a couple more weeks to get used to training this much and then give them a go

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I remember someone somewhere mentioning a good wrestling programme in Portsmouth. I'll double check and get back to you.
    Chances are it'll be a class at another MMA gym...I dont remember names but soon as I do........

12. Southpaw535

Oooooh interesting! This fella? http://www.gym01.com/who-are-we/neil-hughes/

When I trained with him before the gym opened I was told he had a good rep in other places. Awesome if there's another place as well

13. embra

embra Valued Member

Best of luck Lefty!

14. Southpaw535

Last update then I'll stop spamming my own page. Finally found the stones to talk to my coaches about this all, albeit in a far more brief fashion, and while its not a career or anything they said if I keep training as much as I am now then I can look into a semi pro debut in about 6 months.

15. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

It could be... I'm horrible at remembering names sometimes. Still waiting on word...

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Lucky sod, my MMA instructor said a year :(

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You should split the difference and fight each other in 9 months! :)
    North v South match.

18. Southpaw535

I actually like that idea. Chadderz! If you're coming to the map meet then we, sir, are having a roll!

I want to know if its safe to call you out or not.

19. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

I read the OP and only skim read the rest. I think I have a fair bit of exp. in the fight game now so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

A lot of your sucess will come form having a good coach to build you up properly. A good coach will get you interclubs and grappling comps before fights to get you experience and build your confidence. Then get you very winnable fights in order to build you up before you start trying to become a force. A good coach also needs good connections in order to get his fighters on the big shows and opportunities and a good coach will make an effort to build those connections.

Also I'm not trying to be rude but right now you dont sound like a fighter right now, I don't like chicken, broccoli or getting punched in the face, I eat or do those things every day. I know fighting has become a lot more scientific recently with sports scienence and complex routines and diet but at the end of the day it's too guys getting in a ring/cage and fighting, so you have to be tough, so no complaining or self pity can be in your mind.

In terms of fitness you need an aerobic base, I'd say you should be running every day until you have this. You need 7 min miles preferably 6:30 over a 5 mile distance. After this you can worry about circuits and all that anerobic stuff. In terms of strength I think 2x bw Squat and DL and 1.5kg dl are more than enough, but strength is always secondary to cardio and cardio to skills (though both cardio and skill are the deciding factors).

For diet you need to accept you're gonna eat stuff you don't like. Google Berardi's 7 diet rules, follow them.

Just dont over analyse things, get up do what you need to do that day and dont complain or feel sorry for yourself. If you ache work through it. Get in shape, then stay in shape and fight regularly (I hate the number of amateur or low level pros who talk about fight camps, you dont need a fight camp just go train, if you fight an you're not injured then get straight back to training). Dont worry about your record focus on improving all the time. Do what your coach tells you.

THats all I can think of now, sorry if it's a little disorganised I was just putting it down as I thought of it.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  20. Mangosteen

My mate is starting semi pro in a month. Purely because he has a strong no-go wrestling game, enough medals in that area and a strong boxing game so he's working with a TKD coach to help him deal with kicks.

Inversely I know a Thai coach that does terribly in amateur MMA because the ruleset is grappling based and he thinks he can knock them Out without grappling.

Know your strengths, develop our weaknesses and start with a ruleset that works well with your strengths and compete in your weaknesses to understand where you lack

And for gods sake understand the ruleset and rules before competing. Hard to win striking in a striking limited ruleset

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012