taking mma classes vs cross training in muay thai/bjj

Discussion in 'MMA' started by 8limbs38112, Jan 3, 2014.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

+1 as a general rule, you only need to spend 2 hours of study timer per 1 hour of class time. So, a typical 3 credit course means 6 hours of study/week outside class. More or less depending on the difficulty of the class, of course. So, any given class will only take up ~9 hours of your week. Back when I was a student, I managed my time and was able to do all my studies as well as put in extra rehearsal and performance time in jazz band. The art of time management is a beautiful thing. :D

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Like everything, it depends, Try to punch your way out of mount and im gonna armbar you in a second, Try to punch your way out of guard and ignore posture and again I'm gonna sweep, submit or standup in seconds.

3. Dead_pool

4. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

The problem is I have seen both situations in MMA and people rarely do what you are talking about if they have caught a few good elbows and/or punches. It does happen, but it's not 100% by any stretch of the imagination. Not even close.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That's because those doing the punching know Ju Jitsu - countering position and balance is a prerequisite to delivering any impact or follow up or else it WILL happen 100% of the time.

It's not about knowing more BJJ than the other person if you are a striker; it is about knowing enough BJJ to prevent them applying their game as easily and from there it becomes a chess match

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

My hallmark thought when I was doing BJJ/MMA. In all the BJJ and wrestling practice I did (about a years worth, 6-8 months pretty intense at 5 days a week for at least 2 hours) I learned about 2-3 submission moves, and positioning. Learning to survive in guard, in somebody's guard, learning how to control people in mount/side control and how to get out of the awkward 69 (whoops, north south) was essential. Things like "both hands in or both hand out" while in somebody's guard was a life saver so many times.

Towards the end of all that I was able to handle new guys easily, and it would take a lot more effort and time for the good people to get me in a submission. Add punches in and you would have thought I was in the upper crust of the class, but all I was doing was avoiding submissions and punching for my life! :p

7. Hannibal

Helio used to say not being submitted is more important than actually submitting

8. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Myself and my joints and carotid artery agree wholeheartedly.

9. Dead_pool

What hanibal said.

To make it even simpler, ONLY punching out of inferior positions without doesn't work.

And that striking inside guard, and IGNORING posture also doesn't work.

In fighting, Ignorance really isn't bliss, its a dirty great big trap to fall into instead.

10. Dead_pool

That's very true, without a survival and escape game I wouldn't have to confidence to try new attacks, as when they fail, I wouldn't know how to back to position to try again.

11. Combat Sports

Another question mark wild card factor is the body size of people involved. I have seen guys able to quite effectively strike someone while they are in the guard because their arms were long enough that being in guard really did not hinder the power of their punches all that much.

12. Hannibal

Relative to what skill level? Whilst size is a factor all other things being equal they usually aren't. Marcelo Garcia is tiny an regularly trounces much bigger guys with high level grappling skillsets

13. Combat Sports

Oh no absolutely. Don't misunderstand. I am saying however that some techniques obviously are not going to work textbook perfect against different people. Royce got much bigger guys. But you can't just pull guard and expect that to be safe automatically.

14. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Some colleges operate on the quarter or trimester system rather than the traditional semester. A quarter-based system usually has few classes per term; however, the classes are more intense/depth.

3 five quarter-hour classes plus a physed or somesuch low demand class at one or two quarter hours.

One trimester would find one carrying a 15+ hour load. There are three of these per standard year.

Don't know if that's the OP's situation or not, but if so, that plus a job taking 15 hours or more plus whatever travel time is going to make things tight.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  15. Dead_pool

Again its posture control, the person using guard is trying to drag them down, the top person is trying to not let that happen, stop the bottom person coming up, and strike whilst not get caught in any submissions \ controls on the way in, and on the way out.

Its not the length that causes the damage, its the skill and experience.

16. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

A 15 hour load...so an engineering student's Christmas vacation, then?

17. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Nevermind, Holyhead ... I see what you mean :eek:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  18. Combat Sports

Now that I think about it more that makes sense.