Taking a month off

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by JTiedes, Feb 1, 2005.

1. JTiedes

JTiedes Wielder of the Wiffle.

At my school we are doing a musical. I am assistant stage manager, and need to be after school every day for the next month. as fun as this is, i now have no time to go to karate, so i took a month off, becuase i dont want to pay $90 for No classes, as opposed to $90 for 5 a week. i figure the best thing for me to do is just practice on my own as much as i can. the problem is, i was going to be testing for my yellow belt on the 4th of march.
    im an eager student, and i show up to as many classes as i can, i give each one almost as much as i can( not something im pround of, but trying to set the stage).
    is it unreasonable to expect to be able to still test? i was a purple belt of a different style of kenpo ( american, now sasaki) before i switched schools. i really want the yellow belt, but between being sick and musical my thirst for ma's is petering out. i dont want to quit but im totally unmotivated to go to classes, and by the end of this month i KNOW ill be even less eager to.

any reccomendations on how to keep myself at a good testing level/boost my eagerness to go to class would be appreciated

2. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Taking some time off training can be very beneficial. It allows you to recharge your batteries, both mentally, and physically. It might be worth just taking the month off and not doing any training!

I've occasionally come to a down point where I feel ive lost enthusiasm - everyone does. If you truely do want to keep at it (you sound like you do), then it's important to realise its just a phase :)

3. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

I'd say it may do you good also. Make sure you keep practising any forms/katas and don't loose touch and you should be ok

4. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Taking time off is the worst thing you can do if your anything like me. Ive tried so many martial arts over the past years i now know my pattern for quitting.
    I stick at it for a while, i REALLY enjoy it, then i blend in make friends and do as usual for a guy whos been going for a while.
    Then i find myself become lazy, find excuses not to go now and then, then those "now and thens" become most often. Then i say im taking a break and i never go back. Happens EVERY time. I hate it, but its the way i am.
    I know my situation is a lot different to yours, but just saying time off isnt good for everyone, especially if you feel less motivated now.

5. JTiedes

JTiedes Wielder of the Wiffle.

thnx for the info guys.

i think this will prolly be good for me, over the summer i took a month off for a trip, and came back ahead of everyone at my belt level, and just flew throught things from there. i hope itll work like that again :p

6. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

When you take your break and work your katas, basics, and techniques at least once a day. When you return, it'll be like you never left and testing won't be an issue. Good luck!

7. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

three words....

KARATE COMES FIRST.

:D

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Do it. Taking a break isn't a bad thing, as long as you aren't just sitting about the whole time. Since you have your musical, you won't be just wasting time. You'll recover completely, and you'll be fresh to start again. :)

PL