Take That Microsoft! Halo 2 stolen and released on the internet

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Adam, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

2. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

well they stole hl2...so you are the weakest link good bye :D

3. Oddball

Oddball New Member

Yeah, I laughed at this for some reason. I don't know, maybe it's because I loath Halo fanboys, or because I loath Microsoft. Oh well, it will be released, and I'll get to play it. It happened to Doom 3, it happened to Half-Life 2, I guess it was just a matter of time before it happened to Halo 2. :Angel:

4. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Oh yes. Great news. Very good. :woo:

Do you know far this may delay the game? Do know how much this may screw the security of the game? Do you know this is stealing other people hard work from years behind computer screens?

This is most excellent news. And very funny.

And what do you mean by 'payback'? You don't have to use their software.

Take that Microsoft? :rolleyes:

5. Oddball

Oddball New Member

Believe me, it won't set back their game at all. It's too close to release. Well... look at Half-Life 2, but come on, we all know Valve set that up.

6. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Well, switch to Linux, or MacOS then. Microsoft don't force you to use their system, the fact that its the easiest and most prominent does that. :p

See, everyone loathes Microsoft it seems, but in the same way people loathe McDonalds. People will whine about McDonalds as much as they want, but when they feel hungry they'll still go in for a hamburger.

Yes, of course, the deliberately released their hard work to any little twerp on the internet who can't be bothered paying a decent price for a game. Yep, must've been a setup by Valve.

7. Oddball

Oddball New Member

Seeing as my PC came with Windows I wouldn't mind the name, or the company, but if they can't build the OS correctly the first time then why should my hard drive be allowed to be swamped by update after update for security issues?

Just a wacko theory by some, including me who think they did it because they couldn't make their release date. Hell, they quoted the release as 9/03, and here is it 10/04 and we still don't have the game. Unless they went back and changed every single level (which they didn't) I don't see why it would take so long to complete, unless they had to go back and re-do their AI to actually do what they said it would in the first place (proved that it was all scripted).

8. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Well personally I think its actually better that they admit there are security issues, research them, and fix them as quickly as they can. Unlike certain other operating systems where they're so rare that no one ever discovers the security issues.

Its not as if there's any taboo around companies letting release dates slip. So why would they take such a risk in order to do it. Plus I believe that there were about three or four scripted scenes, not the entire thing.

9. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Just like nearly every other OS out there...

Their source code was stolen. They had to REBUILD their source code. If they didn't, you'd be complaining about all the hacks and cheats that are out there.. and all the security issues it would be causing your PC. And THEN you'd be complaining about all the updates and patches that would be released...

10. Sever

Sever Valued Member

There's one serious problem for anyone wishing to download the game - it's all in French! :woo:
    Personally, I don't really hold with downloading games like this. Granted, Microsoft have made me sit in front of my PC screaming for hours on end, but all the people who actually made the game (Bungie) have done to me is let me enjoy Halo 1.
    Now someone hurry up and make an Xbox emulator so I don't have to wait a year or so to play Halo 2 on the PC!
    Also, the theory that Valve set up the beta leak of Half Life 2 because they "couldn't make the release date" is, quite frankly, one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard, right up there with "JFK was assassinated because he was really a giant chicken in disguise trying to outlaw KFC."

11. Oddball

Oddball New Member

Hacks and cheats would be out there in a matter of months anyways, and for MP there is CS source, not HL source. All SP games have cheats and hacks when the game comes out.

And on the note of MS, their OS's have only succeeded because their GUI is really easy to learn. UNIX, LINUX, and LINUX's constituents have updates but that's all open source; of course you will have updates to an open source OS, people update the hell out of it. MS has 1 active OS that they update for, that is XP. They have had more than a multiple number of upgrades since the release. The holes in XP that cause vulnerability are all due to the lack of common sense by the majority of their script writers. MS was in one hell of a hurry to get ME out because they wanted to pump what was left of the 95-98 build before they sent out XP. It all points to lack of professionalism on the part of MS.

I do however credit MS for a lot of things. I just hope that their next OS has less holes than this one.

PS: I know Valve didn't release their source, it's just a "wako" theory that I have.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  12. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

So Microsoft are the great evil because they've designed an easy, effective and intuitive user interface? Oh sin of sins! We should ban people who make good food as well, and any other decent, easy-to-use product.

Actually they update for all of their OSs.

Or possibly because its a huge amount of code? Find me a single program, open source or not, that doesn't have a handful of bugs somewhere in it.

Then why say that you believe it?

13. Oddball

Oddball New Member

I know Valve didn’t do it, but it would be funny.

I seriously thought MS only updated XP, last I heard they stopped all updates on their old OS's.

The bunch of code argument can only be rebutted with: They should have had the code built correctly in the first place. Sure security threats from the outside is one thing, but an exploit of the OS due to a flaw in the coding on MS's part more than 1, more than 2, more than many, many times isn't justifiable.

14. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Ever read a book? Find me one without typos in it, and those're proofread before being released? You try working through over a million lines of code, how exactly are they meant to pick up every single bug? I mean hell, its impressive enough that the thing works at all. Can you even conceive of the scale that they're working on? Its huge. And its not so much flaws in the coding so much as exploitations of certain methods of coding. Their response time on security issues is ridiculously fast.

15. Oddball

Oddball New Member

You're acting like one person wrote the OS code, lol, yeah try a few hundred. There are certain coders that are designated to write certain code. If you had 20 proof readers for one book, I can assure you that there would most likely be no typos.

16. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Ah yes. Do you know how much MS charge for their software now? Can you imagine what the costs would be with what you're suggesting?

17. Oddball

Oddball New Member

The point is, if you have a certain number of coders designated to one chunk of code, and then at the end all of the code is put together, you shouldn't have the type of holes that MS has had in their software. These "professional" programmers have made very big mistakes. MS already has coders whose job it is to write and correct the code. It wouldn't make sense for MS to hire another coder to correct the code that the original coder wrote. Code is a unique form of writing, a lot of code, like HTML is unique to the person who writes it. The coder correcting it would need to know the original coders style and methods in writing.

18. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Often they do have around this number, they still miss things. And a book is usually around 30 000 words or so. Windows has over a million lines of code.

Uh, no. There are things called standardised writing practices in code, and they'll often used things like standardised variable name formats, syntax, and formatting so that all the code fits together.

19. Oddball

Oddball New Member

indeed they do, but they also put it together in their own form. I know many coders who do things their own way. There are infinite variables of how one can write code. Like HTML, it is a set code, and you use syntax's to locate the code, but the way in which some people organize it and write it vary. Now for MS, I'm sure that there is a strict set of how one should write the code, but it doesn't call follow one set way.

Lets agree to disagree. I believe MS is at fault for many things, you obviously don't. Let's leave it at that.

20. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

Microsoft are a victim of there own success. The fact they command such a large market share means that hackers etc will obviously target MS products as there are a lot more out there. If open source products gained a market larger market share they would face the same problems as MS but without the same capabilities to attempt to resolve the issues.

Anyway why is the blame placed at any software vendors door. As long as they are making resonable attempts to secure their code, the blame should be placed at the hackers/script kiddies door. If I went home tonight and my house had been broken in to I don't expect to have the police say, well you locked all your doors and closed all your windows, but they turned up with explosives and blew your door in and as you didn't have protection its your fault, but just blame the builders cos they should have predicted this.