Tai-chi VS Bagua

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by akira2000, Oct 6, 2005.

1. akira2000

akira2000 Valued Member

Helo there.

I just have been reading one of the threads, and I was very surprised to know that Bagua master Dong Hai Chuan defeated Yang Lu Chuan Taiji master, and Bagua was given official court recognition as Imperial martial arts #1, Taichi was #2.

Is this real or a fiction ??????

2. zac_duncan

zac_duncan New Member

3. akira2000

akira2000 Valued Member

I saw that one. And still, are there some proofs that Bagua master Dong Hai Chuan defeated Yang Lu Chuan Taiji master in this imperial tournament ???

4. middleway

middleway Valued Member

No proof. and in my opinion it never occured.

5. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Hence Yang Lu Chan being known as "Invincible Yang".

6. middleway

middleway Valued Member

not sure about that ... Dong Hai Chuan was pretty invinsible too .... but you gotta think ... why would this sort of battle occure??

Its more of a romantic idea created by students that an actual historical event IMO. This is also true of the meeting with guo yun shen of xing yi and Ding Hai Chuan.

cheers
    chris

7. awakened nature

awakened nature chi or pins and needles?

I can imagine he would be hard to beat if you couldnt see him

8. Jekyll

Jekyll Valued Member

I don't know why would to prestigious martial artists want to duke it out?

I mean, apart from prestege, promotion of their school, love of fighting, and to impress the ladies, what's in it for them?

9. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

I'll tell you what, over the weekend I will pick a fight with a Bagua player and will let you know the results.

10. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

Becareful, they are invisible.

11. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Are you sure your not an MMA man? The amount of chest-beating drivel you come out with, you could do well there :rolleyes:

12. Jekyll

Jekyll Valued Member

Why thank you, but no, I'm not.
    It's just I've noticed that all good martial artists love to get on the mats and spar or wrestle. It's one of the high points of their day.

Besides which if you profession is that of a martial artist/bodyguard it would do wonders for your reputation to beat in a fair fight as many of your rivals as you could.

I'd like to think 'Invincible' Yang didn't get his name from sitting round drinking tea all day.

13. middleway

middleway Valued Member

ha ha ha .... ok wrong spelling but there was still an 'n' in there .....it didnt say invisible

:)

These guys had more too loose than gain. Loss of face, loss of respect, loss of position in the court, loss of LIFE .....

No one is debating Yang or dongs fighting prowess ... just whether or not this battle occured.

There are so many stories like this ... Dong vrs Guo, Dong Vrs Yang, Yang Vrs Wan Lai Shan, Yang Vrs Guo .... Who really knows .....

Regards
    Chris

14. slc

slc Banned Banned

BaGui

I believe that Tai Chi, once mastered, is the highest level you can attain. Ba Gua is quite different, an amazing art comlimenting Tai Chi beautifully. It's not easy - but it would greatly enhance anything you chose to do in the future.

15. akira2000

akira2000 Valued Member

Qne more question. What are the major differences between Chen and Yang taiji styles. Which one can develop chi-power faster (it may sound silly, but that's what I want to know )???

16. slc

slc Banned Banned

It sounds like you're trying to make a choice. The real answer is that it doesn't matter. I did Yang style from a while, my experience was very good. It certainly one that I would try again.

That depends upon what you mean. There are many different interpretations, there are also different forms and sources of power. You need a very good teacher, you must study and practice with awareness.

17. Anomandaris

Anomandaris New Member

as many people will tell you if you are trying to decide upon a style what you need is a good instructor.

riddle me this.

why would a martial art have survived to this day if it was ineffective in what it set out to do? TKD as a military style is obviously effective enough to still see use, Karate, Tai-Chi and all these other styles are all obvioudly effective enough in the hands of enough people to be deemed worth keeping through to the present day.

essentially what I am saying is that every style has merits, while they may not be the 'Best' they are all good and so it really comes down to being a good artist and the instructor, you clearly care enough about MA's to join a forum dedicated to them so all that leaves is finding a good instructor.

18. slc

slc Banned Banned

Taste, variety, business, love

19. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

The fastest way to develop qi is by doing qigong. My personal favorite is the Buddhist School's Damo Yijin-jing (Bodhidharma's Tendon-Changing Classic).

I think Bagua probably produces real fighting ability faster than Taiji and is generally more agressive. At a high level they are both extremely formidable. Despite both being lumped together as "internal," they are really quite different. The Bagua person tends to attack continually and from all directions. When they meet with resistance they simply change angles, hopefully dissolving or redirecting some of the opponent's force in the process. The Taiji person puts more emphasis on "listening" and never wants to attack first, preferring to "borrow" the opponents force and use softness and circularity to send it back to him. I know these are very broad generalizations, but I'm just trying to give a basic idea.

As to Dong and Yang, I heard it ended in a draw. I read somewhere that Yang was asked by Prince Su to fight "an amazing eunuch that stepped as if walking on clouds and attacked with a bewildering array of attacks from all directions." Dong is not specifically named, but it certainly sounds exactly like him. This fight apparently ended in a draw. As to why they would fight, well, if the prince asked you to fight you fought. Even famous martial artists were way down the social ladder compared to the aristocracy. It was supposedly only because Prince Su specifically asked him to that Dong took on Yin Fu as a student.

As to whether the two just put on a show for the prince and said "it's a draw" or whether they really both fought with the intent to win is anybody's guess. I would guess that they sparred awhile and came to the conclusion that they wouldn't be able to continue without someone getting seriously hurt. A draw, then, would be the best way for them to both save face (and for Yang to maintain his "invincible" reputation--a draw doesn't count as a loss :D ).

20. slc

slc Banned Banned

Bagua teaches a broader spectrum of advances to be used in emergency scenarios. At a high level the changes in structure become automatic. It is a very difficult art to master.

Tai Chi is passive, lower level in terms of effort but highest attainable.

The Bagua person tends to be manipulated into a weak position until his inner being is enlightened and takes control of the situation.

The Tai Chi guy does nothing.